• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Reminds me of that time I went camping and encountered a moral dilemma. I was camping near these railroad tracks and I noticed that there were three people tied to one track, and only one tied to the other. I went to help them, but I could only make it to the track switcher as the train was barreling down on them.

You did nothing wrong, the person was changing their clothes in a very public place and ran the risk of people seeing.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They were extremely obnoxious to everyone from the first bour and the first thing they did was call security on another group who told them to keep quiet during common rest hours, which is upheld by the law. If we approached them for something like that god knows what they could have started doing.
I feel like this is way worse than them changing in the middle of everyone. I don't really care who gets naked for a minute or two to change in the woods, but don't be loud and obnoxious. Calling security in retaliation is even worse, sounds like terrible camping neighbors.

Weird that you went to them being naked as the first offense, but that's just me.

I'd just like to add I do plenty of camping in the states, and I'm a guy. I'll change everything but underwear with the car door kinda blocking me when tent camping if I need to. I keep the clothes in the car in case of weird weather, and its just easier that way. I try to stay out of view generally, but we are all out here temporarily living in the woods. Certain leniencies are required.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Get a good look, Rand a Thor?

49ex83ieb9l01.jpg

Min

Oct 25, 2017
The moral dilemma is that if there's a nude body in public, you're forced to stare? Seems weird. Just look away?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean obviously you don't stare, but it did feel a bit uncomfortable after the 2nd time when I saw enough of her body. And its not like she didn't notice us seeing anything, we were like 2 metres away and all facing in that direction. The worse was when her friends shot angry glances at us as if we were at fault for noticing her, like how do you even think that no one is gonna look when its out in the open?
It's entirely possible they are exhibitionists and were doing it on purpose.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What dilemma?

Why did you feel the urge to look anyway? It's just a body. If you looked and didn't leer, okay... personally I would have just not looked.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know call security maybe otherwise whatever. If you change in public your accepting that some people might see you in the nude, apparently she's cool with that.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of that time I went camping and encountered a moral dilemma. I was camping near these railroad tracks and I noticed that there were three people tied to one track, and only one tied to the other. I went to help them, but I could only make it to the track switcher as the train was barreling down on them.

You did nothing wrong, the person was changing their clothes in a very public place and ran the risk of people seeing.

I wonder if the top happened and you switched the tracks Could u be tried for murder since you made it kill someone it wasn't going to kill

Think on that.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if the top happened and you switched the tracks Could u be tried for murder since you made it kill someone it wasn't going to kill

Think on that.

I don't think you could be held accountable to the deaths under the good samaritan law, as you were attempting to save the lives and it can be shown that you had no way to stop all the deaths. Also I feel the cops are going to be busy looking the the Snidely Whiplash looking fella whose been tying people to railroad tracks and creating moral dilemmas.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm confused what part of that is the ethics dilemma.

Last edited:

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'd love to hear more about European camping. So everybody's just in big tent grids where there's no privacy? I'm not one for camping anyway, but I figured being out in nature with some solitude was the whole point. I have to imagine that's something people do in Europe, as well (though maybe not as commonly as this practice), but I'd be interested in hearing more from someone in the know.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love to hear more about European camping. So everybody's just in big tent grids where there's no privacy? I'm not one for camping anyway, but I figured being out in nature with some solitude was the whole point. I have to imagine that's something people do in Europe, as well (though maybe not as commonly as this practice), but I'd be interested in hearing more from someone in the know.
It kind of depends where you're camping at. Good luck being alone anywhere in the Netherlands, for example.

OP
OP
Rand a. Thor

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I feel like this is way worse than them changing in the middle of everyone. I don't really care who gets naked for a minute or two to change in the woods, but don't be loud and obnoxious. Calling security in retaliation is even worse, sounds like terrible camping neighbors.

Weird that you went to them being naked as the first offense, but that's just me.

I'd just like to add I do plenty of camping in the states, and I'm a guy. I'll change everything but underwear with the car door kinda blocking me when tent camping if I need to. I keep the clothes in the car in case of weird weather, and its just easier that way. I try to stay out of view generally, but we are all out here temporarily living in the woods. Certain leniencies are required.
Well yeah they were annoying camp neighbors in general, and this is why I wanted to discuss this. They were acting like they were alone and while it was just that one girl out of six changing in public, their general attitude and stance was that where it felt like anything they did was justified. Like she was changing out in the open and anyone who noticed was clearly in the wrong. With that impression I just felt that since it happened twice everyday, even if by accident, my glances were inappropriate.
The moral dilemma is that if there's a nude body in public, you're forced to stare? Seems weird. Just look away?
Looking away implies I was looking at that specific spot and chose not to ignore it, when most of the time I was looking up from my cellphone to talk to the others and saw what she was doing or in general just staring into the distance not minding ky surroundings.
Must be, there is no other explanation for this thread otherwise.
Nope. I WAS born in the States but I've been here for 13 years and have no hang ups about public nudity whatsoever, going to the beach frequently every summer conditions you to have different opinions about it.

This is mostly what camping is like in Europe. Here in Greece its the same, however campsites are far more isolated than being close to any rural areas, and are situated alongside most of the coastal areas in the major vacation areas. The campsites can vary in size, and the usual headcount is around 500-1000 people living in a small cutout of nature. Its still very barebones even if you have basic luxuries like electricity and proper WC facilities as you are still sleeping on the ground with a canvas over your head.

Last edited:

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I change in public all the time and I'm not even into camping.

They don't seem to care. I wouldn't be bothered either. Why are you?

OP
OP
Rand a. Thor

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
And yeah, I dunno why people think I'm having hang ups because I'm isolated from the world or something. I go camping every year and this is the first time that someone made me feel awkward about seeing them naked, it was more their stance and the general air they gave off about the fact than my actual actions.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Say something if it bugs you.
No. It shouldn't bug you and if you say something you're a weirdo.

If they feel uncomfortable about you catching an eyefull then that's their faux pas.

If you're just too lazy too look away but want to put the effort in to tell people in a communal situation that they shouldn't do something so communal then have at it and look like an asshat.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 26 and this is the first time a nip slip or something similar at a public camping space has bothered me and I'm not sure if its because I did something wrong or if I am just looking at things differently as I get older.

Were the girls underage?
Were they drunk?
Did they not know you were there?

If yes to any of those, then you might have a dilemma. (But not like you necessarily could have done anything about it)

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
By "some of us looked," you mean you did? Noticing it briefly then looking away? Or were you staring uncontrollably? Noticing something briefly is not a dilemma of any kind.

OP
OP
Rand a. Thor

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
By "some of us looked," you mean you did? Noticing it briefly then looking away? Or were you staring uncontrollably? Noticing something briefly is not a dilemma of any kind.
Noticed it for like 5 seconds which was all it took for them to cover up again and just turned to to talk to the others or look at my phone afterwards.
Were the girls underage?
Were they drunk?
Did they not know you were there?

If yes to any of those, then you might have a dilemma. (But not like you necessarily could have done anything about it)
No to none of those. Again we are talking about 2 metres distance, our camping spot was right next to theirs to the point where we could even have a conversation while speaking in a low voice.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
You just reminded me of that one time when my triple ex gf's room mate got in the kitchen where me and gf were talking, fresh out of shower just a towel wrapped around her which obviously fell at just the right time.
It wasn't pretty.
I mean, she was. My exGF's reaction (towards her, not me) wasn't.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And yeah, I dunno why people think I'm having hang ups because I'm isolated from the world or something. I go camping every year and this is the first time that someone made me feel awkward about seeing them naked, it was more their stance and the general air they gave off about the fact than my actual actions.
What is this?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Well there are two kinds of camping: free and private.

Free is I guess what american people do in the movies (I guess it's the same IRL?): grab your car, load your shit, go to a random place in the middle of nowhere, set up camp, fish, cook, sleep, whatever, and go back.

Private is what we do the most, at least in Spain, that is, you go to a camping place which is a huge area owned privately by someone and with a municipal license to operate. It's divided in grids and when you arrive you pay by the days you're staying (or you pay at the checkout, it depends on the place) and they assign you a grid. There you can do all those things you do when camping everywhere, the only difference is there's an adjacent grid with people there, just like yours. There are usually shared bathrooms with showers and lockers (well, that's a must obviously), swimming pools, shops, restaurants, bars... some people sleep in bungalows, or cottages or whatever inside the campings. I find it weird to rent an expensive house lite but well, to each their own.

It's like that mostly because free camping is usually forbidden (at least in some countries) due to people being assholes and burning shit. It's just a way to protect the environment. It's also a real state thing, of course, I'm sure there's a lot of shady dealings in some places.

I mean, you technically can go free camping, specially in countries like France or Nordic countries where, correct me if I'm wrong, free camping is allowed, but you can expose yourself to a fine if the authorities find you and they feel like it. In Spain for example it's technically illegal, but if you are not behaving like an asshole, loitering or burning shit they'll just tell you to pack and go. It happened to me once and it was not a big deal, we just cleaned everything and left. You can also just ask the owner of some chunk of land if they let you camp, that's a thing too.

For some of us camping is just a thing when you want to go cheap and stay a few days in the mountains/beach while you visit the nearby areas, like a base of operations of sorts.

OP
OP
Rand a. Thor

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Our spot was on the edge of a 6 space allotted plot and unfortunately we had no coverage from the sun because there were no trees where we were located. The only shade was where we set up our tents to keep em as cool as possible, and all that left us was a small corner on the border of our spot and theirs to set up our table and chairs. This meant that out of the 4 directions we could face we usually faced inwards to keep the sun out of our eyes, and with no provocation whatsoever from the 1st hour they felt bothered by our presence. I said this earlier in general they were annoying as neighbors and felt justified to do whatever they want as if no one else existed.

Free is I guess what american people do in the movies (I guess it's the same IRL?): grab your car, load your shit, go to a random place in the middle of nowhere, set up camp, fish, cook, sleep, whatever, and go back.

Private is what we do the most, at least in Spain, that is, you go to a camping place which is a huge area owned privately by someone and with a municipal license to operate. It's divided in grids and when you arrive you pay by the days you're staying (or you pay at the checkout, it depends on the place) and they assign you a grid. There you can do all those things you do when camping everywhere, the only difference is there's an adjacent grid with people there, just like yours. There are usually shared bathrooms with showers and lockers (well, that's a must obviously), swimming pools, shops, restaurants, bars... some people sleep in bungalows, or cottages or whatever inside the campings. I find it weird to rent an expensive house lite but well, to each their own.

It's like that mostly because free camping is usually forbidden (at least in some countries) due to people being assholes and burning shit. It's just a way to protect the environment. It's also a real state thing, of course, I'm sure there's a lot of shady dealings in some places.

I mean, you technically can go free camping, specially in countries like France or Nordic countries where, correct me if I'm wrong, free camping is allowed, but you can expose yourself to a fine if the authorities find you and they feel like it. In Spain for example it's technically illegal, but if you are not behaving like an asshole, loitering or burning shit they'll just tell you to pack and go. It happened to me once and it was not a big deal, we just cleaned everything and left. You can also just ask the owner of some chunk of land if they let you camp, that's a thing too.

For some of us camping is just a thing when you want to go cheap and stay a few days in the mountains/beach while you visit the nearby areas, like a base of operations of sorts.

Same here in Greece, but because forest fires are a huge scorn Free Camping is on lockdown completely. Even if you are compliant you will get your ass fined for even considering it, and for good reason.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You just reminded me of that one time when my triple ex gf's room mate got in the kitchen where me and gf were talking, fresh out of shower just a towel wrapped around her which obviously fell at just the right time.
It wasn't pretty.
I mean, she was. My exGF's reaction (towards her, not me) wasn't.
I've been there. Classic, but painful.

Edit* wait, what's triple

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, we have private in the US. Been to a few in Jersey. I enjoy the free Wi-Fi lol