• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
2566511-re0.jpg

Resident Evil 0:
  • PC
  • PS4
  • Switch
  • XB1

2566505-remake.jpg

Resident Evil 1 (Remake):
  • PC
  • PS4
  • Switch
  • XB1

3049558-box_re2.png

Resident Evil 2 (Remake):
  • PC
  • PS4
  • XB1

2566501-re3.jpg

Resident Evil 3 (Original)
  • *PC

1674279-resident_evil_code_veronica_box_front.jpg

Resident Evil Code Veronica:
  • PS4
  • XB1

2566479-re4.jpg

Resident Evil 4:
  • PC
  • PS4
  • Switch
  • XB1

2566422-resident-evil-5-art.jpg

Resident Evil 5:
  • PC
  • PS4
  • Switch
  • XB1

2566466-re6clean.jpg

Resident Evil 6:
  • PC
  • PS4
  • Switch
  • XB1

2895081-cover_b.jpg

Resident Evil 7:
  • PC
  • PS4
  • **Switch
  • XB1

*The 2006 re-release can still be modified to run on modern machines.
**Streaming in some territories.

Even with those two caveats above it's pretty impressive how we're almost at a point where you could run through the entire plotline of Resident Evil on your platform of choice without needing to crack open homebrew or emulation. Sure it would be awesome for the original releases of 1, 2 and 3 to be on these machines as well (a collection of them would be fantastic) but it's still great to get a long-running series together like this and on so many platforms.

There are other franchises in this position like Halo that have come over in collections, and some that are complete thanks to individual releases like DOOM (once 64 releases). It's a real nice trend to see, especially if BC is going to be supported more consistently from this generation on.

lgaTEZd.jpg

Time to fill the gap Capcom...

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I wouldn't mind a better port of Code Veronica personally. I am a bit envious of Xbox players since the 360 version transferred over well to the Xbox One X but the PS4 is just an upscaled version of the PS2 version. I am pretty happy that so many games have been ported over to modern consoles though and most which have complete physical versions on disc without extra codes or anything. RE2 sparked my love for survival horror again and I have gone through every RE game and those from The Evil Within series availlable on PS4 and it was a blast.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Is that Code Veronica X case custom?

And yeah, it is amazing having access to nearly every mainline title in one of my favorite series on the same platform. Only really missing 3 but ill be fine if that gets the 2 treatment instead.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping Code Veronica eventually makes it to the Switch, as it's a game I personally really like. I know people always seemed mixed about it, but eh... Curious, did the PS4 and Xbox One versions have the new lighting system that was on the PS3 version, or did they revert back to the older one found on DC and PS2? (EDIT: Never mind, seems the PS4 version is a PS2 classic, and Xbox One is just a backwards compatible game, whoops).

Having said that, I kinda wanna see them do ports of the old Classic versions of Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3 to the modern console systems. 2 actually has a fairly modern PC port and "mostly" works with some minor hiccups today out of the box, though it's locked to Japanese (I think it has English, but it needs to be forcefully enabled, but someone can correct me on this). Still, having the old classics available in some form on modern systems, especially the Switch, would be absolutely awesome.

I'd eventually like to see a proper port of Resident Evil 7 to Switch down the road, since it does seem feasible, though I'd imagine it's ultimately up to whether or not Capcom wants to port the RE Engine to the system. The engines do appear very light weight in terms of load, but... Ultimately the actual engine has to support the architecture (in this case, ARM), so hopefully down the road Capcom seriously considers it.

But having said that, yeah there's only really a couple titles really missing from the modern platform, and that's a really nice pleasant surprise generally, since there's still a lot of legacy games missing from other series from other publishers.

I do still want a modern port, even if it's legit just a port, of Dino Crisis 1 and 2, but....

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Having said that, I kinda wanna see them do ports of the old Classic versions of Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3 to the modern console systems. 2 actually has a fairly modern PC port and "mostly" works with some minor hiccups today out of the box, though it's locked to Japanese (I think it has English, but it needs to be forcefully enabled, but someone can correct me on this). Still, having the old classics available in some form on modern systems, especially the Switch, would be absolutely awesome.

I'd love to see all the variants come over as well. You'd have to cut out some of the DS-specific features (no real loss there) but Deadly Silence is a really great version of that original game that more folk should have access too.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Would really love to see a classic trilogy release, I don't feel that the 1 and 2 remakes obsolete the originals. So for me it's just that and CVX that are missing. Well, they sort of aren't since I'm on PC, but it'd still be nice to not have to emulate them and to have proper releases on Steam. I'm kind of surprised they haven't brought CVX forward yet, it already got an HD release on PS3/360 so you'd think it'd have been in line with the others.

With emulation, every game in the series can effectively be played really well on semi-modern PC's too, including the Wii rail shooters.

Hell, with recent fan-made advancements, you can essentially play 'remastered' versions of the OG RE2 and RE3 as well.
I just looked at this, and man that looks good. I wasn't keen on what I saw with this same machine-learning upscaling w/e idek what this is really, for REmake, but it looks really good on RE2 and 3. It's so cool that this sort of thing is possible now. Definitely trying these out on my next replays.

Last edited:

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
REmake3 is definitely happening, so the only one that annoys me is the absence of a PC version for Code Veronica. A classic trilogy release would also be a great bonus. I'm glad that there are apparently more people asking for them!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I see the remakes and the originals as way too separate experiences to make this claim, especially 2. PC technically is a Code Veronica away from being complete but I'd really only consider it so if they released a classic collection of patched up 1,2 and 3 ports digitally.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
Assuming you're going in progression from left to right, why is Rayman placed after all the Resident Evil games?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Looks over at Konami counting money instead of bringing the Silent Hill & Metal Gear series to new consoles*

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't resident evil 3 also on GameCube and Dreamcast?

Yes, I linked the fan HD project in the second post for RE2 and RE3. AI up-scaled backgrounds and double the resolution for the FMV's for the Gamecube version using the Dolphin emulator.

Revelations is also available on basically everything and those are canon!

True, but I think OP is focused on the numbered entries only (CVx is basically a true sequel to RE2 and RE3 though unfortunately it didn't get the numbered treatment)

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, but I think OP is focused on the numbered entries only (CVx is basically a true sequel to RE2 and RE3 though unfortunately it didn't get the numbered treatment)

Yeah, Code: Veronica was always intended to be the true sequel to 2, though some of the earlier plans changed between the final product and what they had planned (Claire wasn't originally supposed to be the lead, if I recall). I think I recall one of the issues was that Capcom guaranteed Sony another numbered entry, which resulted in the Resident Evil 3 we did get. Code: Veronica reportedly was already planned for the DC hardware fairly early on, so...

If I got any of this mixed up, feel free to correct.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Capcom really needs to rerelease re3 so I can show era how wrong they are on thinking re2 is better.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Revelations 2 but I wouldn't consider it mainline. Code Veronica is RE3 in all but name and is one of the more impactful games for the series narrative.

But it's a moot point anyways since both games are on everything!
The CV is 3 thing is so wrong and misunderstood. It was the third game in development people publicly knew about but even then never called RE3 and always CV. There was another game, a low budget spin off (not the RE3 we got), but that was basically cancelled for the real RE3 instead. People think the RE3 we actually got was the spin-off and just got called RE3 instead, but that is wrong. RE3 is the only RE3. The rumour Nemesis was originally in CV is nonsense too based on fan misunderstanding and repetition of the misunderstanding.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I want all three OG psone Resident Evil games on modern consoles. The remakes are great, but they don't replace them.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Short rant incoming:

Code Veronica was a mishandled mess and was one of my first real gaming disappointments. It isn't as impactful as RE2 or as fun as RE3, and was essentially orphaned as the franchise rebooted with RE4. CV's story takes the turn from fun, but grounded, B-movie to outlandish and dumb. In 1999 I remember distinctly thinking that CV would be fatal to the franchise, and when they retooled everything with RE4 I wasn't surprised. It's hard to remember now, but for all of the fanfare and acclaim that surrounded the game at release, it quickly devolved within a month or two of release. Characters like Steve and Alfred, super-powered Wesker, the design choice where you could break the game by giving everything to Claire only for her to be locked away permanently minutes later, a terribly anti climatic final boss, unsatisfying ending, etc, all combined so that CV's reputation began to immediately suffer. It isn't helped by its poor pacing. Once the game goes to Antarctica it loses all of its momentum. When Chris is introduced, you're back on the first island, retreading the same locations all over again, and the game suffers for it. With the release of RE4, Capcom clearly signaled that CV was not an important part of the story, even if elements were going to be kept. By picking back up the numbering convention at 4, they tied it directly to the original trilogy and barely even referenced the events in CV.

Code Veronica was a dead-end for the franchise and Capcom realized it too late. It is the pinnacle of the tank-based era of the franchise, but lacks the charm of the earlier games even as the gameplay reaches its most refined. The story had worn thin, and the balance between weird and horror drifted too far towards the weird and wacky.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just mean in how it propels the narrative forward, not that it was meant to be RE3. Code Veronica much more important than RE3 (and the Revelation titles which was the main point) in terms of the series chronology and is essentially a mainline title.
I disagree, RE3 brought with it a huge amount of story, filling in gaps in RE2s narrative, the RE world, informing us of what characters from previous games were doing (it's where Leon being an agent started for example), and was the resolution the what still this day is the series biggest arc and continually referred back to. CV didn't do much except end Claire's story and bring Wesker back from the dead.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, RE3 brought with it a huge amount of story, filling in gaps in RE2s narrative, the RE world, informing us of what characters from previous games were doing (it's where Leon being an agent started for example), and was the resolution the what still this day is the series biggest arc and continually referred back to. CV didn't do much except end Claire's story and bring Wesker back from the dead.

That's fair but Code Veronica also surfaced more about Umbrella...for good or ill depending on how you feel about the Ashfords. But either or, I'd certainly place it as a mainline title more than the Revelations games (despite Rev 2 being one of the best).

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
An official RE1-3 collection with HD backgrounds and trophies/achievements is my most wanted game honestly.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair but Code Veronica also surfaced more about Umbrella...for good or ill depending on how you feel about the Ashfords. But either or, I'd certainly place it as a mainline title more than the Revelations games (despite Rev 2 being one of the best).

Rev1 establishes the BSAA origins and Rev2 follows on from Rev1 and a story note set up in RE5, both play very similar to RE4/5 style, they just as mainline as CV.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Short rant incoming:

Code Veronica was a mishandled mess and was one of my first real gaming disappointments. It isn't as impactful as RE2 or as fun as RE3, and was essentially orphaned as the franchise rebooted with RE4. CV's story takes the turn from fun, but grounded, B-movie to outlandish and dumb. In 1999 I remember distinctly thinking that CV would be fatal to the franchise, and when they retooled everything with RE4 I wasn't surprised. It's hard to remember now, but for all of the fanfare and acclaim that surrounded the game at release, it quickly devolved within a month or two of release. Characters like Steve and Alfred, super-powered Wesker, the design choice where you could break the game by giving everything to Claire only for her to be locked away permanently minutes later, a terribly anti climatic final boss, unsatisfying ending, etc, all combined so that CV's reputation began to immediately suffer. It isn't helped by its poor pacing. Once the game goes to Antarctica it loses all of its momentum. When Chris is introduced, you're back on the first island, retreading the same locations all over again, and the game suffers for it. With the release of RE4, Capcom clearly signaled that CV was not an important part of the story, even if elements were going to be kept. By picking back up the numbering convention at 4, they tied it directly to the original trilogy and barely even referenced the events in CV.

Code Veronica was a dead-end for the franchise and Capcom realized it too late. It is the pinnacle of the tank-based era of the franchise, but lacks the charm of the earlier games even as the gameplay reaches its most refined. The story had worn thin, and the balance between weird and horror drifted too far towards the weird and wacky.

I think you're giving CV too much credit, if anything killed the franchise in its tank controls state, it was the combined sales failures of REmake and RE0.

Anyway, after playing RE2, I want the entire franchise remade!!! But since that's not feasible, please make 3 a good game (my least fave from the series) next Capcom. And you can do CV afterwards too.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I think you're giving CV too much credit, if anything killed the franchise in its tank controls state, it was the combined sales failures of REmake and RE0.

Anyway, after playing RE2, I want the entire franchise remade!!! But since that's not feasible, please make 3 a good game (my least fave from the series) next Capcom. And you can do CV afterwards too.

CV was the end of the line where exhaustion set in, REmake and RE0 showed the corresponding sales drop. The sad thing is that everyone who I know that played REmake loved it.

From memory, I don't remember RE0 having any real hype around it, certainly not like RE2, RE3, and REC:V. From what I remember, RE0 was always marketed as a side game that felt like filler. So it's low sales were not a surprise. But yes, by 2002 Resident Evil was stale, but I think that CV led the way and that RE0 just put the era to bed.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
That CVX case got me for a second.

It's a shame the remaster never got a retail release here.