• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
and those cells are made of atoms, and those atoms are mostly empty space

YOU ARE EMPTY SPACE

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Think about this OP:
Our digestive system is a symbiotic system that relies on bacteria. Without it, we couldn't digest food. These are not cells that come from our body/DNA.
Also, these creatures that we live in symbiosis with, they literally send signals to your brain, and affects your mood.
You, are not you.
That's definitely not true. Bacteria aid in digestion but the acid in our stomach is what digests most of our foods. If bacteria were required for digestion then people on broad range antibiotics wouldn't be able to eat.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely not true. Bacteria aid in digestion but the acid in our stomach is what digests most of our foods. If bacteria were required for digestion then people on broad range antibiotics wouldn't be able to eat.
This is actually a problem with people on a broad range of antibiotics. This is why fecal transplants are even a thing.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Kurzgesagt did a video on this awhile ago. Here
It isn't just biological systems either. I remember a research paper I read in solid state. You can't apply the same physical laws to all scales. As the scale changes, so too does the system itself and how it works. So no, you're more than the sum of your parts.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Ant colonies aren't collectives. We are a collective that acts for the good of the collective, not for the good of any one cell or group of cells.

You could argue we do try to act for the benefit of the brain (group of cells). Considering the pleasure nuclei and structures on it...

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You could argue we do try to act for the benefit of the brain (group of cells). Considering the pleasure nuclei and structures on it...
We're only concerned with the brain in as far as it benefits the collective. If no one told us our brain was important to our continued existence we wouldn't act to protect it outside of reflexes dedicated to that purpose.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I mean there's more to the story, but it is pretty much true. Look it up. I would, but I'm drunk and it's 0:43.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Think about this OP:
Our digestive system is a symbiotic system that relies on bacteria. Without it, we couldn't digest food. These are not cells that come from our body/DNA.
Also, these creatures that we live in symbiosis with, they literally send signals to your brain, and affects your mood.
You, are not you.

I am Jack's Uber Eats app.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're only concerned with the brain in as far as it benefits the collective. If no one told us our brain was important to our continued existence we wouldn't act to protect it outside of reflexes dedicated to that purpose.

I'm talking about the sense of preservation and the constant search for pleasure, things mediated by the brain.