• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Were the Star Wars prequels good movies

• Yes

Votes: 126 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 520 74.5%
  • Bring back George Lucas!

Votes: 52 7.4%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Now this is podracing!

Might as well get a poll going for all these movies and gauge the RESETRA community response. I figure since it's a finished trilogy we can do one poll for the whole story. Were the prequels good movies? Did Lucas succeed in achieving his central aim of dramatizing the tragic rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker? Were the movies an unmitigated disaster or did they have redeeming value? Have they gotten better or worse for you over time? You all know as well as I do that we can't get enough of talking about Star Wars so let's do what we do best and attack each other over our Star Wars opinions!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd say they're "good" but I liked them. At least 1 and 3.

And at the very least led to the creation of the The Clone Wars TV Show which is some of the best Star Wars. So yeah.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, dog.

And especially not Revenge of the Sith, which is the worst one.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 is good. Episode 1 has good qualities but is ultimately a failure. Episode 2 is bad. So I had to vote no since only 1/3 is good.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 is arguably the worst because it fully commits to the terrible Anakin/Vader story line. Retroactively ruining those characters.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they were dog shit, but they did give us the Clone Wars cartoon series. Easily the best piece of Star Wars media on screen

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
There are no real good Star Wars movies. TFA is the better one of the bunch and it's still not the kind of movie that tries to be great.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Naw, dog.

And especially not Revenge of the Sith, which is the worst one.

Legitimately can't understand how anyone can say this. Revenge of the Sith is far and away the best of the prequels. Best story, most drama, highest stakes, has most of the scenes everyone wanted to see, best music, strong ending. Is it "good"? No, but I actually get some enjoyment out of it. Lucas was getting a little bit better as a director by the time ROTS came out. The pacing in particular was a major improvement on the first two movies.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore Revenge of the Sith, both ironically and unironically. It's supremely entertaining, and it's the Star Wars film that feels the most like a grand Shakespearean play.

Also the film is a meme generator, every other line of dialogue just cracks me up. Ian Mcdiarmid hams it up to awesome levels.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The young fan in me who watched these films as a kid says YES. The film critic/graduate in me says HELL NO.
tumblr_oovhudmG6X1u1tb7io1_500.gif

Honestly, I'm currently right in the middle. I think they are fine and well produced films (not written or directed). Revenge is actually good a few bad bad moments here and there. Phantom is okay with a lot of bad moments but some small great ones like the Pod Race and Maul scenes. Attack of the Clones is the only I would consider mediocre but not completely bad since the Obi Wan side plot was the best part of the film, though a bit mediocre as well. There is one huge positive I'll give the prequels, they did well with expanding the lore and world building, sure it was mainly done for marketing but damn it we got 2 excellent Clone Wars shows because of them, so they are alright in my book.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 and 2 are not very good minus some nice action scenes. I liked 3 a lot.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh... no.

Between the three of them there's maybe an hour's worth of good Star Wars, but other than that...

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, sorry. They are not good.

The lightsaber duel at the end of Phantom Menace is cool, but I think that's about it.

Across the Stars would be an awesome piece of music if it didn't forever end up reminding you of the terrible prequels.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
This is outrageous, its unfair!

Why do the sequel movies get their own individual polls while the prequels get lumped together? I want to vote for RoTS but Clones is stinking up the diner.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Worst movies in history
I can't believe they allowed them to be made.
Plus even thinking of that dude Jar Jar Binks makes me nauseous Fuck.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not.

But memes have saved those movies completely. I'm very glad they exist now.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Revenge and Clones are both equally terrible but Phantom manages to be worse than both. Such a dreadful bore.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
ROTS? Yes.

Everything else? No.

I adore Revenge of the Sith, both ironically and unironically. It's supremely entertaining, and it's the Star Wars film that feels the most like a grand Shakespearean play.

Also the film is a meme generator, every other line of dialogue just cracks me up. Ian Mcdiarmid hams it up to awesome levels.

Exactly why I love it.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is an overwhelming no. Sith having some moments of good must've done a number on people because the first 2 are fucking abysmal.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Top of the line Production values overwhelmed and helped mask how poorly directed and written almost everything was.

They made brilliant actors look fucking amateurish.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. 1st was a bad movie with some great moments. 3rd was an alright/good movie with some bad moments. 2nd was terrible and easily the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Hard to call that track record "good"

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
They weren't good Star Wars movies and they weren't good movies period.

The memes are world-class though, so it's all worth it.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
They weren't great movies, but they added so much to the Star Wars universe that their importance can't be understated. The overall story of the prequel era is very good, as evidenced by the highly regarded Clone Wars TV show.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I had to vote for bring back George Lucas because of the blatant unfairness of this poll. I love democracy.

Seriously though bring back Lucas and team him up with Filoni again, that's peak Star Wars.