• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Were the Star Wars prequels good movies

• Yes

Votes: 126 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 520 74.5%
  • Bring back George Lucas!

Votes: 52 7.4%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2017
Loved them. The political plot is way more interesting than whatever "mickey mouse adventure" the new Star Wars have become with Disney.

Yeah. The Prequel films are stories about abuse in the home (private: Anakin's slave upbringing/the Jedi 'code'/Palpatine exploiting Anakin's vulnerabilities) and abuse in the plaza (public: the Trade Federation in TPM/Palpatine's manipulation of all parties, political and otherwise). And how a culture of abuse perpetuates abuse and exploitation; how its a self-feeding/reinforcing cycle.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Absolutely. It didn't have near as much green screen sadness.

I will never understand how people can rank Revenge higher. That movie is so bad it's basically an unintended sequel to spaceballs.

Wow... Phantom Menace is complete ass from top to bottom. Revenge of the Sith is a top 4 SW film. Nothing in it offends the senses like Jarjar, the worst misuse of CG effects in history. ROTS is great (it's currently #3 but sometimes moves up to #1 or #2):

1. The Force Awakens
2. The Last Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Empire Strikes Back.

The rest range from decent (A New Hope) to horrible (Rogue One).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Loved them. The political plot is way more interesting than whatever "mickey mouse adventure" the new Star Wars have become with Disney.

tenor.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I like them.

I enjoy them, both for their good parts and because the bad parts became memes.

I also think it did WONDERFUL things for the franchise as a whole and am grateful we got amazing side stuff thanks to them.

Felt a lot better to be a Star Wars fan then back then than now for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... Phantom Menace is complete ass from top to bottom. Revenge of the Sith is a top 4 SW film. Nothing in it offends the senses like Jarjar, the worst misuse of CG effects in history. ROTS is great (it's currently #3 but sometimes moves up to #1 or #2):

1. The Force Awakens
2. The Last Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Empire Strikes Back.

The rest range from decent (A New Hope) to horrible (Rogue One).

Phantom has very bad parts. But thats what they are, parts. It does have some redeeming parts too, enough to make it the best of the worst at least, despite the valiant effort by jar jar to utterly destroy it.

Meanwhile there's basically no redeeming qualities to the other two. Revenge is one of the worst acted and shot films of all time.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EP3 was genuinely good, better then ST movies. EP1 holds a special place, expanded the SW universe, and introduced a brilliant set of Jedi, music, duels and the iconic possible racing which still holds up today.

I don't think anyone can argue against the PT movies for fleshing out SW, the planets and locations alone are some of the best the Saga has to offer (Mustafar, Naboo, Geonosis, Kamino).

Last edited:

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
Episode 3 is one of my favorite Star Wars movie. Episode 2 is trash, I can't watch it anymore. Episode 1 is enjoyable, it was the first Star Wars movie I watched as a kid.
But as a whole, they are bad. They should have focused on grown Anakin, his relation with Obi Wan and made his transition to the dark side slower. In the movies you have this great guy and 5 minutes later he is killing younglings.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 has it's moments but ultimately it's not very good.

1 and 2 can go to hell, ESPECIALLY 2. Hate that movie so much.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PM is such a racist movie, I can't believe anyone defends that piece of shit.

It's also NyQuil in movie-form.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Obi was portrayed as a Boss in PT, love everything about him, and proves he's a much greater Jedi then pussy Luke.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
They were shit when they came out and they are meme now. Which is better than shit, but still a far cry from being good...

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
They are some of the worst movies of all time. Awful plot, terrible dialogues, shit characters, CGI galore and a no sense ending. Lucas did them only to sell toys.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They were bogged down with political drama no one cared about or asked for and CGI that is both poorly done and is placed front and center over everything else. I think George was less concerned with making a good movie and more concerned with showing us what he could do with money.

I mean look at this
giphy.gif

This isn't from the show but your mind won't let you believe that it isn't from the show

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
1 and 3 were good enough. 2 is sooooo boring it's hard to get through. just too much sand..

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was a kid/teen when they came out, so they were amazing. However, going back now they are hot ass. So now it's just memes.

D3544712C929AE2CA8B18FC7FE790DE7369B87D9

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, no, come on, we all know they aren't. By any normal standard they're godawful; all the character development happens off-screen (if at all), nobody has motivations, Lucas is a terrible writer so everyone speaks with the same voice. It doesn't mean you can't still have your fun with them, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible movies, RoTS has some great moments, in a really wonderfully made universe. The design and audio are flat out amazing. Hell, the ships from the PT shit on the gray blobs we get from the ST (besides the U-wing, the only good Disney era ship),

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're good. As a whole, I feel like the trilogy is modern day Shakespeare. Our Romeo and Juliet.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
They weren't great movies, but they added so much to the Star Wars universe that their importance can't be understated. The overall story of the prequel era is very good, as evidenced by the highly regarded Clone Wars TV show.

This. As movies they clearly aren't the best but they added a lot of interesting and cool things to the Star Wars mythos. I like the idea of the politics but it was so surface-level that you couldn't look at it as a political intrigue thriller but you couldn't just ignore it either. I appreciate that George went with a whole different influence for the general setting, from all the myth and fantasy that influenced the OT to using a lot of human history for the PT. It expanded the universe and made it feel a lot more real.

Also had some awesome music, Duel of the Fates obviously but also Droid Army theme, Anakin/Padme theme, and Obi-wan vs Anakin.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Shit star wars movies, terrible writing. As just another summer blockbuster movie though, they are watchable though.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
According to some of Era, Attack of the Clones is better than The Last Jedi.

But in all seriousness, Revenge of the Sith is pretty good and the Phantom Menace has its moments.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not really good movies but I enjoy them for the production values, action, entertainment and the general Lucasness of it all. Episode III especially will always be worthwhile for the pure narrative significance it holds.

We finally got to see the rise of the Empire, the birth of Darth Vader and the Battle of the Heroes. Not all of it was well executed but it was worth making movies about.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched them all recently. None are good, but each have a few moments that are good. Phantom Menace is, to me, the worst of the three by far. The end is good with Maul and the Duel of the Fates, but otherwise it's trash-tier from beginning until the end.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched them all recently. None are good, but each have a few moments that are good. Phantom Menace is, to me, the worst of the three by far. The end is good with Maul and the Duel of the Fates, but otherwise it's trash-tier from beginning until the end.

Agreed. Episode II being a worse movie than Episode I is such an absurd opinion it's taken on meme status for me.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They're not good (except for maybe Sith), but they're a hell of a lot more interesting than the shit we've been getting for the last few years.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They're so bad I haven't felt the need to watch any of them a second time. Meanwhile I've watched the first trilogy countless times, and am fine with watching the recent films again.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather rewatch the prequels than the Hobbit movies again.

But that's not saying much

So nah.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kid me loved them. Adult me...knows that they're not good movies but still enjoys them, partly because of nostalgia and also because of the memes.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Kind of mixed on them. 3 was personally the more legitimately good one for me while the other two weren't that great, 2 less so than 1.

I guess as a whole for the prequel trilogy, I'd lean to no.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This. Way too many people give this movie a pass but holy shit is it ever racist.
Between Jar Jar, the Trade Federation and Watto it's hard to tell what's the most offensive part of the movie. All three are so bad.
I don't love Force Awakens, but it is miles above the prequels and TLJ is even further above them.