• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Were the Star Wars prequels good movies

• Yes

Votes: 126 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 520 74.5%
  • Bring back George Lucas!

Votes: 52 7.4%

• Total voters

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I rewatched them all recently. None are good, but each have a few moments that are good. Phantom Menace is, to me, the worst of the three by far. The end is good with Maul and the Duel of the Fates, but otherwise it's trash-tier from beginning until the end.

I thought it was a given that Phantom Menace was the worst of the three.

While attack of the clones and revenge of the sith aren't good movies, Phantom Menace gave nerds PTSD with how bad it actually was.

People CAMPED OUT ON SIDEWALKS IN COSTUME FOR DAYS to see it, and came out of the theatre thinking Lucas had just pranked them

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

While attack of the clones and revenge of the sith aren't good movies, Phantom Menace gave nerds PTSD with how bad it actually was.

People CAMPED OUT ON SIDEWALKS IN COSTUME FOR DAYS to see it, and came out of the theatre thinking Lucas had just pranked them

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Not in the least, though I do think they had good world building. Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies I've seen. It absolutely breaks my brain when people say any of the new films are worse than it.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
They had some great moments but a lot of boring and uninteresting parts too, maybe if Lawrence Kasdan helped out with the writing they could have been improved or maybe not.

Overall I like them, sure they could be better but at least we got some good things out of them (as well as a lot of bad, but lets just ignore the bad)

The good

Darth Maul
Ewan as Obi Wan
The Ship Designs were cool
Christopher Lee as Count Doku
Sam Jackson as Mace
Pod Racing
New Force Powers
Coruscant Underworld
Spawned the Clone Wars which is probably the better way to enjoy Prequel era Star Wars if you pick out the recommended episodes and some of rebels too.
The other Clone Wars Cartoon by genndy tartakovsky
Qui Gon was cool

I'd like to see reboots of the Prequels one day using the cool parts but improving upon them if and when they decide to reboot the Original Trilogy one day maybe in 20 years, of all the times people get upset over film reboots would anyone here be mad if they rebooted the Prequels?

If not some comics what if's/ reimagining would be cool.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
No. On top of being incredibly poor entries in a beloved franchise, they are incompetently made with even the nicest complements you can pay the least worst of them still requires a lot of caveats.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For me it was closer to Stockholm Syndrome. I saw Episode I when I was 17 and my first words coming out of the midnight screening were "It's perfect!". It took me about a year to come to grips with the reality.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
EP3 was closest to a good movie but man parts were so bad:

ThriftyCapitalAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
The only good things about the prequels were Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, and the death sticks guy. Darth Maul also had the potential to be really cool but they totally wasted him.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
They had some great moments but a lot of boring and uninteresting parts too, maybe if Lawrence Kasdan helped out with the writing they could have been improved or maybe not.

Overall I like them, sure they could be better but at least we got some good things out of them (as well as a lot of bad, but lets just ignore the bad)

The good

Darth Maul
Sam Jackson as Mace
Qui Gon was cool.
Im not even really sure these are really pros for the movies. Maul is a cool character in concept, but the prequels do absolute dick with him, leaving it to side content to literally salvage the character. Sam Jackson is wasted for all but two scenes across three movies. Finally, Qui Gon only really gets by on Liam Neeson being a boss. Otherwise, he's a total nothing of a character who really only exists to be an Obi Wan analog and actually hurts the development of Obi Wan by existing because he ends up getting important moments that shpuld have been obi wan's to begin with.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I'll always have a fond spot for 3 because Yoda was awesome (yes, it was fan service but it was fucking awesome watching him duel Darth Sidious). And even his non action parts were good. Ewan McGregor was enteraining to watch. If they just took out Hayden Christensen, then I could stomach it more often. Love'd Palpatine's portrayal and how he absolutely manipulated Anakin like he was his bitch.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the prequel trilogy could have gotten more Zelda cycle backlash love after Episodes 7 and 8... Except for the fact that Episode 1 is insanely racist.

Episode 1 being so racist kind of has stopped the hot takes of the prequel trilogy Actually being good.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
They are hot garbage, even #3 which for some reason people want to believe is "the good one." (make sure you read that in a Jim Sterling voice)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
They are bad movies.

I'd go even further and say Attack of the Clones might be the worst film I've ever seen.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only people who think they're good are the same people who think the Spider-Man trilogy is good - those that were young when the movies came out and as such had their tastes formed by the movies. They are objectively not good unless you're nostalgic for them.

The other people that like them just have plain old bad taste.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
They are god awful. I think that Phantom Menace had the best parts to it. Darth Maul, Pod Racing, the music. I mean I was so of the belief that with all that it should be watchable, I tried to rewatch it recently. It was bad, and once Jar Jar turned up I switched it off

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

No way. Attack of the Clones is by far the worst of all the SW movies. Besides the Slave 1 it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It is pure shit.

Dexter Jettster
That horrible 'love story' between Ani and Padme
The fucking conveyor belt scene

I could go on, but you get the point.

I saw AotC in the cinema and when I got out, I actually felt a bit heartbroken. It was so bad I almost did not go an see RotS a few years later.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They are god awful, the only reason why people are suddenly saying that they are good is because of the memes and that some fans are really scraping the barrel to shit on the sequel movies.

Attack of the Clones must be one of the most boring and irrelevant movies that I had ever seen

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They are god awful, the only reason why people are suddenly saying that they are good is because of the memes and that some fans are really scraping the barrel to shit on the sequel movies.

Attack of the Clones must be one of the most boring and irrelevant movies that I had ever seen
^^^^^^^

Thank god the poll is accurate. Era members lost their damn mind when members they started stanning for the films because they couldn't handle a deconstruction of SW. Imagine highkey stanning for this lifeless chemistry less romance aka the crux of the films and Anakin's:

imagine stanning for this fight scene where you don't actually care about what's happening because the characters are so poorly characterized:

Please gain a modicum of self awareness and stop stanning for movies you watched as literal children.

Last edited:

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I voted no but I still enjoy 1 and 3. I just wouldn't classify them as good movies. They have far too many issues for that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. They're somewhere below the Matrix sequels and Hobbit trilogy. To be honest the first two movies don't really even tell much of a story. You could basically start with Episode III and really not have missed much.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Yep. Absolute trash and the biggest disappointments I've ever had in a movie theater.

Oct 28, 2017
They are all better Star Wars movies than the current canon. Better story, music, fights and design.

3 is better than all but Rogue One of the new movies.

The Force Awakens is in the same tier as episode one

The real battle here is Attack of the Clones Vs The Last Jedi.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I like Rots, but the other two are bad.

I swear, the fact that some people think that Aotc is a good movie will never stop to amaze me.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm probably not as harsh on the prequels as others because I grew up with them, but I don't think I could describe any of them as good movies. I like aspects of them but none of them come together to make a satisfying whole.

Lucasfilm's recent attempts have knocked the prequels even further down the pecking order for me. ROTS is always an entertaining watch though.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
No, they are absolutely terrible movies. Even post-Battle of Five Armies, Attack of the Clones is still my go-to example of what not to do with a prequel to a beloved franchise.

That said, they did have on a purely conceptual level more interesting concepts than the new movies IMO. Naboo, Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis are all much more interesting than any of the locations added in the new movies to me and the story at least wasn't a complete retread of things from the OT.

Another writer and another director could've probably made something cool from it, but as it is now it's better to just look at the concept art than watching the movies.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see a decent chunk of people on here asserting the known shittiness of ROTS. AOTC may be pure shit in myriad ways, but the way ROTS sabotages the absolute gift that is the Obi Wan and Anakin storyline makes it a serious contender for the title of worst film in the series. That includes the inoffensively mediocre PM.

This revisionist take that ROTS is not only good, but better than the sequels or ROTJ, prompts a hearty, prolonged chuckle.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
In terms of movies, Prequels were meh (Ep1 was enjoyable, Ep2 was meh/bad because of Anakin/Padme scenes, Ep3 was good)

But in terms of Star Wars movies, there are the best
It's still incredible the creativity they deliver from environments to action scenes, they are generous, they give a lot of information about the universe, the design of everything (planets, environments, space ships, characters, etc...) is art

They tried to be different from OT but still in the same universe and it works

Just the Naboo Starfighter, Theed or Droid is more creative than Ep7/Ep8 combined

Definitely better than Disney SW

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Nah, Attack of the Clones is worse in every single aspect. The Phantom Menace is bad, but the terribleness of TPM is overstated due to the massive hype preceding it, so the letdown was the biggest. From a filmmaking perspective though, Attack of the Clones is far worse.

The reverse is what happened with Revenge of the Sith, it's still a pretty terrible movie in all respects, but it was better than Attack of the Clones, so suddenly this insane narrative was created where Revenge of the Sith is somehow the only good one of the prequels, despite still being godawful.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
TPM isn't aggressively bad just pretty boring. AotC is actual garbage. RotS is pretty good but has a few problems.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Attack of the Clones is worse in every single aspect. The Phantom Menace is bad, but the terribleness of TPM is overstated due to the massive hype preceding it, so the letdown was the biggest. From a filmmaking perspective though, Attack of the Clones is far worse.
It does have one thing on TPM in the sense that it matters more to Star Wars as a whole and stuff that happens in it actually carries forward.

TPM is so inconsequential that AotC is actually harmed by how much it has to spend resetting/reintroducing things.