• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Toys R Us kid, please.

That's why you never growed up

oKPZFib.jpg

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i feel like the year that i stopped buying redwall books from the book fair and i stopped playing pokemon in the library was the year in which school stopped being any fun

GROWIN UP SUCKS

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Redwall as a kid. As a pre-teen, I loved those books as much as I loved Harry Potter.

Even as an adult, I still think Brian Jacques's books have the absolute best descriptions of food. The man had a knack for detailing feasts.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I guess I'll be the only Ga'Hoole supporter here. Never read Redwall, because owls are better than rats.

Ga'Hoole got really violent and dark at times: child enslavement and brainwashing, animals getting their throats cut and hearts torn out, it really caught me off guard at times.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know the other things mentioned besides Redwall. I also liked the Merlin books growing up. I would read or watch anything that vaguely resembled Ocarina of Time.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Ga'Hoole and Redwall, they were both amazing series, but I prefer Redwall. One of my elementary schools had a signed book from Brian Jacques just sitting in the library....

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm one of the few in the Warriors camp? I love cats a lot and the series has some good points, though it's really nothing special. The sheer number of characters is a bit headache inducing, but it makes up for it with a cool balance of mysticism, drama, and survival.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I saw this on tumblr recently and I was curious as to where Era's readers fell. Personally, I was a Redwall kid.

That's a different question.
You're either animorphs, goosebumps, or choose your own adventure.

I was choose your own adventure.
Wrong, I was all three. Every month when the Scholastic book order came I out I put all of my allowance in to one of these each.

Redwall was my jam in middle school. I picked up a copy for my daughter and she couldn't be less interested :'(

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mainly a Redwall kid. Although I had the second Ga'Hoole book too, which got me made fun of in my class by kids reading the literary equivalent of Tyler Perry movies instead. Well, my series actually got turned into a film, so who's laughing now, you fuckin' bitches?

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Warriors was my shit. Those books were all I got for my birthday and for Christmas for like 3 years.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Redwall as a kid. As a pre-teen, I loved those books as much as I loved Harry Potter.

Even as an adult, I still think Brian Jacques's books have the absolute best descriptions of food. The man had a knack for detailing feasts.

I think I remember reading, maybe in the back of one of the books, that he spent a lot of his life working with the blind and deaf, so he went to great lengths to add as much detail to his descriptions of food as possible for those kids.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm mainly a Redwall kid. Although I had the second Ga'Hoole book too, which got me made fun of in my class by kids reading the literary equivalent of Tyler Perry movies instead. Well, my series actually got turned into a film, so who's laughing now, you fuckin' bitches?

I wouldn't be bragging about Zack Snyder forever cementing Ga'Hoole being in the dust bin of Hollywood.

At least Redwalls got a chance at a good movie.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can't give you any names if you held a gun to my head. All I know is that they were dime store black domestic dramas whose synopses frequently featured spousal abuse and that kind of thing.

I wouldn't be bragging about Zack Snyder forever cementing Ga'Hoole being in the dust bin of Hollywood.

At least Redwalls got a chance at a good movie.
I didn't think Ga'Hoole was a bad film though.

Also, who even has the rights to a Redwall movie now? It's been tossed around for years but it's gone nowhere. =/

Nov 2, 2017
When I was a kid it was more stuff like Bridge to Terabithia or The BFG that was popular. Once we got a little older Tolkien and Richard Adams got more popular.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Redwall but I only read two of the books. The Guardians movie was good though. When that came out it was the first time I found out the series existed.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Duckula
M.A.S.K
Captain Planet
The Trap Door
Iznogoud
Bravestarr
Skeleton Warriors
Cadillac and Dinosaurs
Power Rangers

Just off the top of my head.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What? I'm not sure I understand what any of these are.

I read just about anything I could get my hands on.
My daughter is 12 and read warrior cats. Twelve. You would have to currently be 15-years-old to be a "warrior cats kid".

According to another thread, ERA is all old folks. Hah.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just going to point out if someone ever made a Redwall movie and made it accurate to the books it would be as violent as Watership Down and then some. You've got gigantic battles were little furry creatures are hacking each other to bloody chunks in some pretty graphic detail for books aimed at kids. That in between furry animals stuffing their faces with feasts full of delicious food.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My daughter is 12 and read warrior cats. Twelve. You would have to currently be 15-years-old to be a "warrior cats kid".

According to another thread, ERA is all old folks. Hah.

There is an age divide for sure. Redwall predated Ga'Hoole and Warriors.

I was a Junior in High School by the time Ga'Hoole and Warriors published their first books. Redwall was being published until 2011 though so there is overlap.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I was more a Blue Barracudas kinda guy.

That's a different question.
You're either animorphs, goosebumps, or choose your own adventure.

I was choose your own adventure.

Why not both? Give yourself goosebumps. Reader beware, you choose the scare.

I never could find the happy ending on the vampire one. Well actually I found it by looking at every single page, but I could never find the path that lead there...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Redwall all day. Those books were fucking great. Martin The Warrior was my favorite.

Just going to point out if someone ever made a Redwall movie and made it accurate to the books it would be as violent as Watership Down and then some. You've got gigantic battles were little furry creatures are hacking each other to bloody chunks in some pretty graphic detail for books aimed at kids. That in between furry animals stuffing their faces with feasts full of delicious food.

Brian Jacques had a real knack for describing food, that's for damn sure. Every time I read a Redwall book as a kid I'd end up having a craving for some scones halfway through lmao.