• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
<-----------------------

Not really
Am I the only one that thought Salamandastron was a way cooler place than Redwall Abbey? It had it's Badger Lords and the Long Patrol - and it was built out of an extinct volcano! What was so cool about Redwall, besides that it's residents were continuously fighting off villains who thought it would be easy pickings?
It was awesome, but not as well detailed. Redwall had secret passages and that ups the coolness factor by an exponential value.

Calico Spice

Oct 27, 2017
I've only read Warriors and Ga'hoole out of the three with Warriors being my favorite. I absolutely loved the prequel series Dawn of the Clans and wished they'd continue it.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salamandastron was fucking sick.

I love the one where the current Badger Lord finds a tomb with the body of Lord Brocktree sitting in his armor. Badass image.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
That only happens in the first book and is basically never mentioned again. Jacques never originally intended the book to be published so included elements of mankind in there. That's the only time we ever see a horse in the series as well and there are other elements of humanity sprinkled around that never show up again as well.

Yeah, isn't there a human sized farmhouse in the original as well? Thought that was odd.

nah I'm not really into animals

You like pirates? Flying Dutchman books are aight.

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
Wazzat?

I had those too. But they're not really children's books, they're scifi aimed at adult readers, although there isn't too much that's offputting for kids.

Most of the series mentioned here, I also read. I sure did read a lot.

There was some not exactly consensual sex going on in the books. "I don't want to do this but the dragon is making me!!" Completely flew past my head as a kid. I mean I read a lot of books with sex in it and that was fine, just non-consensual sex is less fine.

The Abbey itself is implied to be human sized as the birds nesting in the uppermost section are basically totally disconnected from the mice and such because of how far up and out of reach they are.

Which gets even weirder when he makes it so the animals built the place themselves. Not to mention trying to parse the size differences between a mouse and a badger living in the same space... sometimes he writes them as the sizes being more regular, with badgers only being kind of large. But then sometimes it seems like they're their normal sizes after all. I try not to think about it too much, just makes my head go all wonky.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
Which gets even weirder when he makes it so the animals built the place themselves. Not to mention trying to parse the size differences between a mouse and a badger living in the same space... sometimes he writes them as the sizes being more regular, with badgers only being kind of large. But then sometimes it seems like they're their normal sizes after all. I try not to think about it too much, just makes my head go all wonky.
It gets really weird when badgers are generally depicted as bigger than foxes.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about the real shit.

51w%2BYB7mq4L._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
warrior cats, those were awesome. meant to get into the redwall books but i never did. probably wouldn't want to go back and read either at this age though, i feel like they wouldn't hold up.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There was some not exactly consensual sex going on in the books. "I don't want to do this but the dragon is making me!!" Completely flew past my head as a kid. I mean I read a lot of books with sex in it and that was fine, just non-consensual sex is less fine.
Totally. The non-disclosure of what it meant to be recruited as a dragonrider was terrible.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Warrior cats AND Guardians of Ga'Hoole. Now I'm a furry. Whoops.

edit - Eragon. Also Eragon.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey

banefirelord

Dec 18, 2017
Redwall. Guardians was a little after my time and the one Warrior Cats book I dragged myself through was boring as hell.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the Pern books as a kid too.... Not sure if I could stand reading them today, though, lol. No idea what the books are in the OP, never heard of any of them unless the warrior cats are Thundercats.

Loved Chose Your Own Adventures and any books like that such as Lone Wolf series.

FlightfromtheDark.jpg

Lone Wolf was the truth! RIP Joe Dever. I have almost all of them. That US cover art was so rad.

510SNAD1YCL.jpg
1260806.jpg
latest
latest

As for the OP, I was a Redwall kid but even back then noticed that the books were sort of formulaic. I really liked Outcast of Redwall and the first one, though.

I tried reading the Warriors books actually fairly recently - 2011 - because I was a teacher during that time and saw my kids reading them. I like the concept of a hidden world of cats waging wars and existing right under our noses, but the writing was pretty lackluster.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I was initially a Guardians fan. Then I became a Redwall fan.

I know the Redwall books became formulaic, but I dunno, I guess that's kind of why I liked them. To me, Mossflower always felt familiar and warm and only rarely stale (The Sable Queen was probably the worst). Pearls of Lutra is my GOAT children's book.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
That only happens in the first book and is basically never mentioned again. Jacques never originally intended the book to be published so included elements of mankind in there. That's the only time we ever see a horse in the series as well and there are other elements of humanity sprinkled around that never show up again as well.

I recall the church being around for a few books. I think that was the last sign of humanity.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017

The only time I ever encountered the Warriors series of books was when some guy from the previous period forgot his copy in my high school computer science classroom. A buddy of mine picked it up and started reading it aloud in this kind of James Earl Jones voice and within seconds the entire class, teacher included, was in tears from laughing so hard.

Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
I was a redwall kid. I still have a bunch of those books on my bookshelf. I love the series so much I even did a book report on it and built the actual castle from the books with paper mache and modelling clay. I even made little rats and badgers,etc out of clay and created a battle scene with the castle as the stage.

Then I discovered warhammer and the tabletop figure armies which just ended my fascination with redwall. My history with redwall could also explain why one of my favourite armies in warhammer is the skaven which is comprised of mostly rats and other critters.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
Redwall isn't from the same time period.
That said I read all 3; Redwall was the best and I say that as a bigger fan of some of Lasky's other work.
Martin the Warrior was probably the first book that made me cry.

That said as a kid there was one series that I cared enough to owned every book of: Animorphs
I owned all the regular series, all the Megamorphs and all the Chronicles
Animorphs was life. There never was a more hardcore kids series. They were child soldiers engaged in guerilla tactic warfare and they all needed some serious therapy.

Edit:

Also I'm working on a Long Patrol cosplay