• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a cleaner-yet-still-off-camera recording of the Amphibia intro.

Pretty clear that the show's main focus will be for Anne to not only to return home, but to find her friends who seemingly appear to have been transported along with her. Also getting a vibe that one of the girls will fall under the influence of someone villainous.

"You see? It's just as I told you. While you toiled away trying to find your dear friend, she quite simply replaced you with a new companion. Evidently, now she values him far more than she does you. You're better off without that wretched girl. Now, think no more of her, and come with me. I'll help you find what you're searching for…"

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
With so many neat animated series coming from Disney at least, I'm gonna need a monthly reminder after they aired for me to catch up and watch them :V

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

Known as "Mutafukaz" internationally. Here's a trailer Ankama released a while back:

Yeah, this one's getting a hard R from the MPAA.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

Known as "Mutafukaz" internationally. Here's a trailer Ankama released a while back:

Yeah, this one's getting a hard R from the MPAA.

Oh nice, I remember hearing about this a while back. Will definitely check it out whenever it gets here. I'll probably have to wait until/if it's picked up by the NZ international film festival though...

Edit: shared the video with my brother and he pointed out that the main character is voiced by Orelsan :o

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Definitely Animals of Farthing Wood, especially the writing (sans Series 3). I feel like series 1's animation quality is the most aged aspect of it -- there's a shit ton of reused shots in a lot episodes.

It just about borders Watership Down's level of violence and death of main characters (probably beats it in body count, lol), so maybe that too?

I think Insektors aged quite well for an really early CG show. Some...racist portrayals probably date the UK dub I grew up with (there were 2 English dubs; the UK one was more along the lines of Samurai Pizza Cats).

I know almost squat all about 80s cartoons.

I'll try to give these a watch someday. For Farthing Wood, I take it just the first 2 series are enough right?

Oct 28, 2017
I'll try to give these a watch someday. For Farthing Wood, I take it just the first 2 series are enough right?
While I wouldn't completely write it off, you could think of the majority season 3 in the same way as the Island arc in Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. The main problems I have with that season;

1. The lighter tone and dumbing down of the storylines and characters in general; violence and deaths are majorly toned down or just omitted, any edge some protagonists had were mostly stripped away, there's a larger focus on gags and almost every joke and running gag falls flat (there's some of that in the first 2 series, but they're mostly moments that either get overshadowed by or play directly into the plot itself). One of the books were (justifiably) omitted entirely, so almost half the season is filler.

2. The art style shift -- it's more flexible and expressive, I like the new art style personally but I still felt it was a step down from the more realistic and detailed style of the 2nd season. The animation also shifted to an early CAPS-like style of production (as opposed to cels and film) and, for whatever reason, it ended up more static/unfinished than the previous series.

A conveniently dumber but identical looking clone fills the gap of a character who was killed off. >:(

The series in general can be quite slow paced at times, especially at the beginning, but I think it's worth sticking with. :)

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Total Drama should've ended after the third one

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
What cartoons from the 80s and 90s do you feel have aged well? While I'd say 'aged well' is a pretty vague term to use here, but see what you can think up :P

SWAT Kats I feel holds up pretty well due to the strong animation. The plots are all 90s action cartoon cheese but the strong animation in most episodes puts it well above other cartoons of the era, especially early 90s cartoons that really show their age.

Much of the Amblin Entertainment opus from WB still holds up: Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Freakazoid in particular.

For Nicktoons: Rocko's Modern Life is and remains a classic. Ren & Stimpy too (despite what we now know of John K).

For Cartoon Cartoons: Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, and Ed Edd n Eddy (which yes, started in the 90s).

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
So, huh, there's this new series called PeePooDo & The SuperFuck Friends from Balak (of Les Kassos and Lastman fame) available for free on blackpills. It's explicit as fuck (and gets pretty gross) so don't watch it at work though.

It's... definitely quite something lol. It's so dumb that you're constantly left wondering how it even got made but the pure absurdity made me laugh out loud on several occasions.

Watch at your risks and perils though. I wasn't even sure whether I should post about it but hopefully it's all right.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I miss Milo Murphy's Law but I'm worried they're going to focus on the characters from Phineas and Ferb.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I got to finally watch The Big Bad Fox (and other tales) today as it finally came out in the UK. I'm posting the English Trailer as it was given an English Dub, so I don't know how it stacks up to the originally french version. But the dub seems good for the most part, the voices match up with the lip syncing as well (With maybe the exception of the Stork in the first story for some of the scenes). If someone has seen both, do give comparisons.

A lot of fun this was, I would say there is more for the adults to enjoy here joke wise (Surprising number of jokes about Decapitation and there's a character that doesn't mind at all being eaten, it still very funny though) Animation is still solid. You can tell it was TV Specials that were stitched together into a film, but the play interludes are cute. I think I prefer Ernest and Celestine more, mainly because the one long big story compared to the three short stories works better. Still, track this down if you can.

I don't know how much this was advertised and how long the run is though. Only one cinema in my area was playing it, one showing in the morning... and I was the only one in the cinema. At least it was quiet and let me focus on the film I guess.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the theatrical release for stuff like Big Bad Fox is usually like that. GKids doesn't really have an advertising budget too much, so they usually rely on word of mouth and online ads in places like ANN or Cartoon Brew.

Even with of their "bigger" stuff like Cartoon Saloon films it's not uncommon to be the only one in the theaters.

Still need to get around to watching Big Bad Fox, though. Ernest and Celestine was magical, so I'm definitely interested.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I got to finally watch The Big Bad Fox (and other tales) today as it finally came out in the UK. I'm posting the English Trailer as it was given an English Dub, so I don't know how it stacks up to the originally french version. But the dub seems good for the most part, the voices match up with the lip syncing as well (With maybe the exception of the Stork in the first story for some of the scenes). If someone has seen both, do give comparisons.

A lot of fun this was, I would say there is more for the adults to enjoy here joke wise (Surprising number of jokes about Decapitation and there's a character that doesn't mind at all being eaten, it still very funny though) Animation is still solid. You can tell it was TV Specials that were stitched together into a film, but the play interludes are cute. I think I prefer Ernest and Celestine more, mainly because the one long big story compared to the three short stories works better. Still, track this down if you can.

I don't know how much this was advertised and how long the run is though. Only one cinema in my area was playing it, one showing in the morning... and I was the only one in the cinema. At least it was quiet and let me focus on the film I guess.
OK where can I get this digitally because that trailer sold me.

NANI?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
According to Tot's blog a continuation of Wakfu Season 3 won't be happening any time soon, neither Netflix nor FranceTV are interested in funding any more episodes. Tot however still hopes he can make it somehow, possibly in some other media. He also reveals a bit on how much work they put into creating Welsh & Shedar years ago (pilot, series bibles, complete episode scripts, etc.) after being tapped to produce a new show for the network only for them to balk and ask for something less mature and "action-y" which is how Kerub's Bazaar came about.

I don't imagine Tot's opinions on TV networks to be all that high.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow Disney's DVD collections are highly expensive. The chronological Donald costs hundreds of dollars.
I always lament how poor Disney are at keeping their classic shorts in circulation (on home media), or presenting the original cuts of them for that matter.

Ok, so this is technically anime related but wat???

Also the kid in a wheelchair becomes a Guntank.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently there was a Camp Weedonwantcha animated short produced a while back and pitched to Nickelodeon (well, more like they came to Katie Rice and asked for it to be made) only for them to pass on it. The world weeps.

Currently Katie's working on the Animaniacs reboot so she probably won't be going back to this anytime soon.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Man now I feel bad for only watching Wakfu once on Netflix and not writing up my thoughts on it in the OT like I had been meaning too.

Well, S3 was about as good an ending as any, I suppose.

Hopefully any network they land on will agree to let them age up the damn main character.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Man now I feel bad for only watching Wakfu once on Netflix and not writing up my thoughts on it in the OT like I had been meaning too.

Well, S3 was about as good an ending as any, I suppose.

Hopefully any network they land on will agree to let them age up the damn main character.

Yeah I was so hoping they'd make Yugo look as old as Oropo after he got absorbed... Dude looked baller.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I've tried to get into adult cartoons but I just can't. I'd rather watch Adventure Time and Gravity Falls than Bob's Burgers or Rick and Morty.

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried to get into adult cartoons but I just can't. I'd rather watch Adventure Time and Gravity Falls than Bob's Burgers or Rick and Morty.
Maybe give Lastman, Bojack Horseman (gets better towards end of Season 1 and beyond) or Final Space a try.

While it depends what your looking for, it does feel like quality brand new adult cartoons for TV are slim pickings compared to family/kids shows. Channel 4 used to air a bunch of quality adult cartoon series, Aardman shorts and anime at night but those seem to have vanished. I'd love to see more adult cartoon dramas (kind of like Bojack) and hard sci-fi.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I definitely prefer the first season of Final Space over the previous season of Rick and Morty. I'm so tired of the drama around Beth and Jerry's unstable relationship.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Kinda had the feeling when I saw new episodes on my DVR premiere early in the morning.

As I've said before, my sister really likes the show, and it occasionally makes me smile and chuckle but it just it feels so.. Haphazardly juvenile.

I've been watching and enjoying Disney's Big City Greens lately which just took a break. It's made by a bunch of the same people who did Gravity Falls. Even has Rob Renzetti as story editor! Even the intro manages to be quite similar despite being a laid back slice of life show.

And I've been meaning to post that you shouldn't sleep on Amazon Prime's Rocky and Bullwinkle series either.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the trailer for Bojack Horseman season 5 hasn't dropped yet. The season comes out in less than 3 weeks.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Has anyone seen the new Muppet Babies they have on Disney Junior? I decided to take a look at the episode they uploaded on their YT page for nostalgia's sake and was pleasantly surprised to find it's actually a very well done show for kids. It does a good job capturing what I liked about it as a kid and even uses movie clips sometimes just like the old show. lol

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen the new Muppet Babies they have on Disney Junior? I decided to take a look at the episode they uploaded on their YT page for nostalgia's sake and was pleasantly surprised to find it's actually a very well done show for kids. It does a good job capturing what I liked about it as a kid and even uses movie clips sometimes just like the old show. lol
It got some attention on the board recently due to some alt right guy complaining about them adding another female character. I haven't watched it myself.