• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bit of shameless self-promotion. Here's a fight I boarded for Black Panther's Quest

You know....it's moments like these.

Let's ask ourselves, what kind of ratings is this Avenger show getting? Does it even matter to Disney?

Scenes like this took alot of work. Alot of skill and hearty talent. Painstaking detail. My point is that these artists and animators really adore their craft, and this scene reminds me that action cartoon scenes never died, and there are plenty of passionate people out there, like Khanimus.

Fantastic job man. To me? That's the best fight scene/choreography I've scene from Marvel Animation since Spectacular Spiderman and Avengers EMH. Bravo.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Bit of shameless self-promotion. Here's a fight I boarded for Black Panther's Quest

I was thinking of posting a thread lettign people know there's a BP focused Avengers "Series" but I figured it'd just be filled with "Waaaa, new Marvel Animation sucks!" posts. I feel so bad for you because I quite enjoy the current output for what it is, but people have this, "If it's not DCAU/A:EMH/etc quality it sucks!" attitude.

Good work!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
A big thanks for all the kind words, peeps.

Nice work, loved the choreography.

I never lost them in their surroundings either. It changed direction a lot but I was always able to tell where they were.
Much appreciated!
You know....it's moments like these.

Let's ask ourselves, what kind of ratings is this Avenger show getting? Does it even matter to Disney?

Scenes like this took alot of work. Alot of skill and hearty talent. Painstaking detail. My point is that these artists and animators really adore their craft, and this scene reminds me that action cartoon scenes never died, and there are plenty of passionate people out there, like Khanimus.

Fantastic job man. To me? That's the best fight scene/choreography I've scene from Marvel Animation since Spectacular Spiderman and Avengers EMH. Bravo.
That's extremely some high praise considering what Spectacular did for inspiring me, and it means alot. Thank you!
Nice work! That choreography had to have taken a lot of work, but it paid off! I may have to give this show a look.
Thanks! It was a ton of work, but the animatic came out looking great. I'm really happy it translated so smoothly to animation. The streamlined designs this season really helped with that.
Congrats dude! It looks great. Definitely looking forward to it, looks like it has a higher budget than the usual Marvel animated stuff.
Thanks! I'm really happy with what the animators did here!
I was thinking of posting a thread lettign people know there's a BP focused Avengers "Series" but I figured it'd just be filled with "Waaaa, new Marvel Animation sucks!" posts. I feel so bad for you because I quite enjoy the current output for what it is, but people have this, "If it's not DCAU/A:EMH/etc quality it sucks!" attitude.

Good work!
Don't worry about it. :)

I think this being a gaming board with so many developers posting publicly or privately, the realization I hope people come to is that the people working on projects like that, or in TV, or whatever kind of production, they typically already know when something is or isn't working. I've worked on shows that I've very much not been proud of, whether it be because the script is inherently flawed, or can tell a board (particularly my own) doesn't work, or when animation gets cheaped out on and intent is lost. The best anyone in that production can do is put the care into making the best work they can for their small corner of control.

My job is to make my 5 minutes of script looking as fun and compelling as I can for when it goes to animatic. If something gets cut out in the edit, it is what it is (and this would happen a fair bit because, man, I would go long with my fight scenes lol). If the animation doesn't come together, it is what it is. But this season, I was consistently getting scripts that had me grinning as someone who grew up with these characters, and there's shit I got to do that I wanna shout from the rooftops (and I probably will once certain episodes air). Stuff that I wanted to milk for all it's worth, and I'm proud of some of the creative calls I made (and thankfully had a director who saw eye-to-eye with those decisions). I know there was great work done this season, and I hope the people that take the time to check it out have fun. There's fantastic stuff ahead. :D

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Great job. What was working on a Marvel cartoon like?
Thanks!

I was on the show for years, and it's still real weird and surreal. Just the toychest, every time it's presented to you, is really crazy when you've grown up and learned to draw because of this world and these characters. I didn't doodle as a kid - I was always drawing superheroes, or fighting game characters, or stuff like that. Like "Oh for the next couple months, you'll be drawing the Squadron Supreme" is a weird thing to tell yourself. But it taught me alot. I had a director who was really supportive of the calls I was making. And it was really the best when I took a chance to insert a character moment that wasn't in the script, and you see how much better it helps the story, but also just how people respond to it. There's stuff I'd done that I've seen gifs getting passed around online excitedly, and that means alot. For the people watching the show, who liked the versions of the characters we'd done, it's powerful when you know you did something they connected with.

Hell, it means alot to me that I can insert an unscripted hero moment for both Black Panther and Ms. Marvel in a previous season finale, and I get an email from the director being like "YES! THAT IS SO THE RIGHT CALL!" I've worked with directors who aren't nearly that supportive, or clients who don't respond to that stuff. And that's demoralizing, honestly. But on this show, I got to do something really fun and challenging as an artist. And it was a challenge. But as a fan, I got to put a stamp on characters who mean something to me. Hopefully there are kids at home watching the show who really get a kick out of what we've done.

Honestly, I'm extremely proud of some of the stuff we did this season, in no small part to a great showrunner getting to tell a more focused story. I can't wait for people to see some of what we did. Even I can't believe what we got to do lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

I was on the show for years, and it's still real weird and surreal. Just the toychest, every time it's presented to you, is really crazy when you've grown up and learned to draw because of this world and these characters. I didn't doodle as a kid - I was always drawing superheroes, or fighting game characters, or stuff like that. Like "Oh for the next couple months, you'll be drawing the Squadron Supreme" is a weird thing to tell yourself. But it taught me alot. I had a director who was really supportive of the calls I was making. And it was really the best when I took a chance to insert a character moment that wasn't in the script, and you see how much better it helps the story, but also just how people respond to it. There's stuff I'd done that I've seen gifs getting passed around online excitedly, and that means alot. For the people watching the show, who liked the versions of the characters we'd done, it's powerful when you know you did something they connected with.

Hell, it means alot to me that I can insert an unscripted hero moment for both Black Panther and Ms. Marvel in a previous season finale, and I get an email from the director being like "YES! THAT IS SO THE RIGHT CALL!" I've worked with directors who aren't nearly that supportive, or clients who don't respond to that stuff. And that's demoralizing, honestly. But on this show, I got to do something really fun and challenging as an artist. And it was a challenge. But as a fan, I got to put a stamp on characters who mean something to me. Hopefully there are kids at home watching the show who really get a kick out of what we've done.

Honestly, I'm extremely proud of some of the stuff we did this season, in no small part to a great showrunner getting to tell a more focused story. I can't wait for people to see some of what we did. Even I can't believe what we got to do lol.
Damn this is some great insight. Gonna be honest from the outside it looks like Marvel considers the animation department am afterthought. Glad folks working on it a passionate about it

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Castlevania season 2 and god damn that was good. Really well done all around and great looking too!

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Announcer: Will Smith is the world's greatest super-spy, with everything going for him. Only problem is, he's about to become... a pigeon!

Will Smith: I'm a pigeon!

Announcer: He's going from super-spy to super-fly! Will Smith is, A Pigeon! Rated PG-13

Oct 28, 2017
I'm totally floored that I'm just discovering this now and I think it's worth sharing.

From what I found, "Puppetoons" were mainly theatrical stop-motion shorts and adverts created primarily by George Pal, mostly in the '30s and '40s; they look jaw droppingly stunning.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm totally floored that I'm just discovering this now and I think it's worth sharing.

From what I found, "Puppetoons" were mainly theatrical stop-motion shorts and adverts created primarily by George Pal, mostly in the '30s and '40s; they look jaw droppingly stunning.

Jaw dropping is correct. I am blown away by the naimation in the aladdin short.
Tough why the heck was the rope charmer such a dick for?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I got to watch the first 38 minutes of Spiderman Into the Spiderverse last weekend at London MCM... oh man, this film is great. Certainly get your tickets booked for this one. It's looks graphically brilliant, Miles is great, Peter is great, it balances comedy with action perfectly, some surprisingly dark moments in it as well, some marvel moment staples are in as well... I don't want to say anything that will spoil it for anyone. Just go get a ticket booked for the showing.

Also, since we are in November now, not too long till christmas. And I'll be working on a followup to last years Cartoon Advent Calendar.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-christmas-cartoon-specials-advent-calendar-2017.9004/

So if you have any suggestions throw them my way, I got a few shows already locked in for the list, I plan to have one day for Adult Shows as well, since there's a number of shows with great christmas episodes for them that aren't quite suitable for the whole family, but shouldn't be ignored by those who want to watch it (American Dad in particular comes to mind). I also need a few more christmas carols as well.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
So I got to watch the first 38 minutes of Spiderman Into the Spiderverse last weekend at London MCM... oh man, this film is great. Certainly get your tickets booked for this one. It's looks graphically brilliant, Miles is great, Peter is great, it balances comedy with action perfectly, some surprisingly dark moments in it as well, some marvel moment staples are in as well... I don't want to say anything that will spoil it for anyone. Just go get a ticket booked for the showing.

Also, since we are in November now, not too long till christmas. And I'll be working on a followup to last years Cartoon Advent Calendar.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-christmas-cartoon-specials-advent-calendar-2017.9004/

So if you have any suggestions throw them my way, I got a few shows already locked in for the list, I plan to have one day for Adult Shows as well, since there's a number of shows with great christmas episodes for them that aren't quite suitable for the whole family, but shouldn't be ignored by those who want to watch it (American Dad in particular comes to mind). I also need a few more christmas carols as well.
I'm really, really, really looking forward to Spider Man, basically ever since the teaser trailer. Really glad it turned out as awesome as it looked in the trailers, at least the first 40 minutes of it.

Looking forward to the Advent Calendar as well. Hopefully I'll be able to watch more of the films this year insead of being busy! Thanks for putting the effort into it both years now, I found some cool stuff last time : )

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if anyone else follows this channel but Robobuddies did a video on the (bad) animated movie, Scarecrow .
(I'm linking since the thumbanil could be seen as NSFW)

I also got linked to this short animation a few days ago

It's pretty cool. The writing / script was a bit flat but the animation quality is surprisingly good

Oct 28, 2017
Brave Little Toaster
Still not nearly as messed up as Watership Down.

The fact that it's still rated U (UK equivalent of a "G", or whichever one it is for all ages) has been a bit of a conundrum.

Also, The Plague Dogs, rated only a PG in the UK for some reason; do not watch this in a bad disposition; you'll regret it.
tumblr_llkppb8ghL1qamx92o1_1280.jpg

There's also the ever messed up Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids, basically a crude horror anthology cartoon.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Why haven't I heard of this before? That's some top-tier stop-motion, even by modern standards! This is like the Fleischer Superman shorts, where I have trouble processing this as something from almost a century ago.

That was a nice summary. Definitely not the most messed-up kid's movie, as PenSeph posted, but it's definitely an interesting. Side-note, but I like PUR branching out past DOS-era adventure games, as much as I love those videos, as well. I didn't respond to be it being posted earlier in the thread, but she did a pretty good summary on Doug, too.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Still not nearly as messed up as Watership Down.

The fact that it's still rated U (UK equivalent of a "G", or whichever one it is for all ages) has been a bit of a conundrum.

Also, The Plague Dogs, rated only a PG in the UK for some reason; do not watch this in a bad disposition; you'll regret it.
tumblr_llkppb8ghL1qamx92o1_1280.jpg

There's also the ever messed up Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids, basically a crude horror anthology cartoon.

God damn that one moment in plague dogs fucked me up for DAYS.

Incredible film highly recommend.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Plague Dogs is really good (as is Watership Down). I'd love for Criterion to pick it up, as it still hasn't been released uncut in the US.

Oct 28, 2017
Already slated from Shout Factory for next January! ;)

Shout said:
We know you've been asking.... and today we're happy to provide an update on The Plague Dogs!

Last November, we announced that we would be taking The Plague Dogs off the schedule to work with Martin Rosen in hopes of finding film elements for the extended cut of the film. We're happy to say that we DID locate a print of the extended version and are thrilled to include it in our release. PLUS we filmed a new interview with Martin Rosen which also will appear on our release.

The new street date is January 15, 2019.
PlagueDogs.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

The situation was a bit messy at first; it went through a lengthy delay because it was originally only going to feature the edited cut, which is what the rights holder had, until someone notified Martin Rosen and he got in touch with them. So, now the new Blu-Ray will be uncut. :D

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Totally forgot about this show. Gotta make an attempt to catch up.

Honestly, it feels like a cross between Recess x Hey Arnold with a sprinkle of Kids Next Door. Feels like a really solid blend actually. I've only watched clips on YouTube, but one day I'll catch up too. Looks like a healthy successor to those 90s/00s shows. Kids today will look back fondly on Craig of the Creek, that's for sure.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
DsKHPhIU8AcHm8t.jpg:small

An official poster appeared at the CTNx event today. However according to the showrunner, the show's still a ways off before it's ready to be shown. Snippets from some preliminary animation from last year during early development was presented instead.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I can't believe I hadn't realized yet that Tress MacNeille is the voice actress for Daisy in the 2013 Mickey shorts

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
With the holidays coming, I was wondering:

What are everyone's favorite animated Christmas specials?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
With the holidays coming, I was wondering:

What are everyone's favorite animated Christmas specials?

I've never been a huge fan of Christmas specials but this is great

There's no sentimental or sappy Christmas-themed morals here (which is what I often hate about Christmas specials). The special opens with (Gilbert Gottfried voiced) Santa Claus getting bitten by a vampire, and an angry mob burning down a mall and beating the shit out of a mall Santa when they realize they're not meeting the real Santa, and things just get better from there.

Even as someone that's not a fan of the later seasons, this special is just classic Grim Adventures.

Also have to give a shout out to the Christmas episode in Milo Murphy's Law.

I caught it recently, and I thought the Dakota and Cavendish subplot was absolutely hilarious. It's not the greatest special I've ever seen (and I thought the actual main plot was incredibly boring), but I did laugh more than I was honestly expecting to

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
A block of Animaniacs Christmas episodes is one of my must-watches around Christmastime. Especially their take on A Christmas Carol.