• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in what feels like a decade, Nick finally reaired the first Rugrats movie (on Teen Nick). It was my first time rewatching it in a very long time. I feel like it aged pretty poorly. It still looks good, but I really didn't care a whole lot for any of the songs. I think it's still an okay movie now but I prefer Rugrats in Paris. The first half of Rugrats in Paris in particular I feel is still REALLY good (up to until they reach Paris).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, thought it would be hard to come up with a christmas cartoon advent calendar this year, but I'm at the stage were I'm having to cut stuff now!

I just need a few suggestions for actual Christmas Carol adaptations.

Any other suggestions are appreciated, but I might already have them or already used them last year (https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...advent-calendar-2017.9004/page-3#post-3023884)

I found some new ones that I'm really happy I did find this time around.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the first time in what feels like a decade, Nick finally reaired the first Rugrats movie (on Teen Nick). It was my first time rewatching it in a very long time. I feel like it aged pretty poorly. It still looks good, but I really didn't care a whole lot for any of the songs.

I watched it recently too and it sort of...made me uncomfortable? When you're a kid you don't think about it much, but goddamn like the babies are endangered in so many ways in that movie that as an adult (even without kids) it made me squirm.

Also the scene with Tommy almost abandoning Dill legit gave me chills.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So should I post last years advent calendar in a new thread tomorrow, or on the 1st? 1st also has to be when the 2018 Christmas Cartoon Advent Calender will open it's first door.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I wish Warner Bros. would release complete remastered collections of the Bugs Bunny, Popeye and Tom and Jerry shorts (they have the rights for the latter two for some reason). I'm frustrated they haven't done that yet.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
Clone High has a cameo in that new Spider-Man movie
DtxRAS_UUAEeQh4.jpg

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So I'm watching The Simpsons and am in Season 3.
I can get that the show wasn't designed with a continuity as they just made stand alone episodes with the viewer merely expecting to know the basics of the show.
However I'm not liking how in a lot of episodes Bart is a jerk, but then you get episodes where you feel bad for him.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

So what are people's feelings on the new 101 Dalmatian Street? I love the original animated film and even the live action film, but I was never a big fan of the original 101D series. This, however has a really fresh look to it, like it's got the same vibe and energy as the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I know about the show is that it has Michaela Dietz, the voice of Amethyst on Steven Universe, as the female lead. It's nice to see her get a leading role on a Disney show.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Huh, I didn't expect the continuation of Trollhunters to focus on them instead.
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of "Earth has all these things, but all of the rest of the universe has this one thing", and I while I didn't dislike them, I didn't like those characters in Trollhunters either. I did like them being completely unexplained, so I'm not sure I like them getting a full series. Still, I liked Trollhunters, so hopefully this is good.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Cartoon Saloon put up their short Late Afternoon on Youtube for a limited time:

It's quite good and I highly recommend it.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Cartoon Saloon put up their short Late Afternoon on Youtube for a limited time:

It's quite good and I highly recommend it.

What a lovely short with some excellent abstract animation. I was wondering why it was only available for a limited time, then I put two and two together and realized that it's shortlisted for the 2019 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. I hope it at least gets nominated, since I think Bao is the likely winner due to it being from Pixar.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find it really difficult to get a bead on 101 Dalmatian Street's hook and premise, but everything they've shown of it seems fresh and light in quite a pleasant way. Might be a good, We Bare Bears-style palate cleanser.

It's also great to see Michaela Dietz get some high-profile work outside of SU.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Who watched the Milo Murphy's Law and Phineas and Ferb crossover?

I saw it a while back.

I liked it, though you need to watch a bunch of episodes first before jumping in. It's surprisingly continuity heavy for a crossover episode like, the actual crossover itself is part 2 of a 2-part special, and the plot / villain of this special first appeared in a different special.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because it's Season 1 part b. It's Netflix M.O. to commission a full season's worth of episodes but only release the first half at launch. Makes the wait for future seasons more manageable.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, the Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls shorts started.

That's straight up Tara Strong's Twilight voice, haha.
These are pretty fun.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

These are pretty fun.

Oh wow, the first one is a straight up remake of her SBFF short

Same gags and everything, only with Mr. Freeze instead of Poison Ivy.

Also, John DeLancie and MA Larson? Nice! Wonder if we'll get any more Pony talent involved. As a fan of SBFF, I'm glad to see it's essentially the same voice cast
(only Grey Griffin voices Diana/Wonder Woman proper instead of Donna/Wonder Girl)

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
GKIDS recently picked up three new films:
Buñuel and the Labrynth of Turtles
buncc83uel_en_el_laberinto_de_las_tortugas_hurdes.jpg

Funan
funan.jpg

and This Magnificent Cake
this-magnificent-cake2.jpg

I remember replying to a poster in this thread that This Magnificent Cake had no chance at US distribution unless GKIDS or Shout! picked it up, and welp, lol

Excited for all three of these films, especially Funan which I've heard tons of good things about.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

These are pretty fun.

It's slightly younger/more energetic sounding but yeah... and weirdly enough basically what I expected the character to sound like even though I didn't know for sure Tara Strong was involved.

Anyway, both shorts were cute, though I take issues with her having a camera in her dad's bathroom. I get that it's a kids show and nothing creepy will actually come from it, but it doesn't change the fact that having a camera in the bathroom is a huge invasion of her dad's privacy and creepy in general. (the bedroom one where she can watch him sleep is also rather creepy, but at least from the standpoint of that is where he will be spending like 8 hours per day and is one of the most likely places for him to be attacked it kind of makes sense.)

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
So Jérémie Périn (of Lastman and DyE: Fantasy fame) is working on his first movie.

Summary:
Aline Ruby, a stubborn private detective and her partner, Carlos Rivera, who's been dead five years set off on a race against time to Mars. Their mission is to find Jun Chow, a cybernetics student on the run, before the murderous assassins who are hot on her heels.

Poster:
marsexpress_poster_tn.jpg

I really liked his previous work so I'm really looking forward to this.