• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I recently rewatched Monster House for Halloween (because it was on Netflix, and also because I had siblings who weren't alive when we first watched this in the cinema) and holy shit at this joke:

I'm still surprised that this movie is a kid's movie tbh. I say "still" because I thought it was way too scary as a kid (and seeing my siblings scared at this has only re-affirmed my position).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what not to do with animated moves

The per-theater average of Arctic Dogs comes to just $1,090. In 2019, only five movies with wide releases have had worse opening weekend averages: The Goldfinch ($1,053), Replicas ($1,019), The Pilgrim's Process ($961), Noah: The Musical ($652) and Patterns of Evidence: The Moses Controversy ($254). But none of those movies opened in over 2,800 theaters. Most of them didn't even eclipse 1,000 theaters.

In fact, according to Box Office Mojo, no movie in the history of cinema has premiered in that many theaters on opening weekend and had that poor of a showing. And it gets even worse when you consider the film's $50 million budget.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Artic Dogs = 2.8k screens, 3.1million take, 50mil estimated budget
Delgo = 2.1k screens, sub-1million take, 40mil estimated budget

Hm... doesn't seem like Delgo has been topped yet. But it's pretty fucking close.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Highlight of the series right there.

So I know Dreamworks pretty much soured people on Suess adaptations, but this is looking pretty decent...Anyone/

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So
This year I watched the Simpsons series for the very first time. I'd have watched the odd episode here and there and read on how the early seasons were the peak of the series.
I'm gonna end it at Season 9, but overall I liked the handful first seasons a lot better than the later ones, though seasons 4-8 had some good stuff in them still.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That Rick himself is a very sad and pitiful man who is extremely toxic to everything around. He is the smartest man in the Galaxy but a failure everything else.

I honestly do think that is the intent sometimes, but the writers are too enamored with both Rick and the rule of cool to honestly explore it more than occasionally. And that leads to what the video very clearly illustrates. A text that paints Rick as almost infallible, and easily the character that is most likely to be right in the shows fictional universe.

I should add that I really like R&M, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of it.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I honestly do think that is the intent sometimes, but the writers are too enamored with both Rick and the rule of cool to honestly explore it more than occasionally. And that leads to what the video very clearly illustrates. A text that paints Rick as almost infallible, and easily the character that is most likely to be right in the shows fictional universe.

I should add that I really like R&M, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of it.

Yeah, I actually find the series to be much more hilarious when Rick isn't as infallible.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I that that is the beauty of it .what does being right mean. does it really matter if is right if I'm a sad pitiful man that destroys every social interaction amount around me. And I think that's the what they're trying to say is that being faculty right doesn't really make you justify and good person.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about this but JelloApocalypse (the guy who makes the "So This Is Basically [Series]" videos) mentioned working on a new animated show new animated show for VRV. Seems like the first episode of that show is now out.

I can't seem to check it out, as VRV is not available here in Australia, but it seems like a fun watch. From what I can gather, the show is animated like his STIB videos while the story is based off some tabletop campaign that Jello ran.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about this but JelloApocalypse (the guy who makes the "So This Is Basically [Series]" videos) mentioned working on a new animated show new animated show for VRV. Seems like the first episode of that show is now out.

I can't seem to check it out, as VRV is not available here in Australia, but it seems like a fun watch. From what I can gather, the show is animated like his STIB videos while the story is based off some tabletop campaign that Jello ran.

That looks pretty fun from those videos.

~~~

Look at this Green Eggs and Ham lore.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watched Infinity Train and Over the Garden Wall. I'm really loving the 10 episode miniseries format.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So, spending the time since disney+'s launch until now watching the ducktales reboot was a good use of my time. I quite enjoyed it.
For the fun of it I checked out the original after (which I watched a decent chunk of as a kid) and uh.... yeah even if disney had all the episodes in the right order on disney+ I don't know if I could watch it after the reboot. All the kids are so much better in the reboot #_#

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is some of the best Western animation I've ever seen. Too bad there isn't much to it story-wise.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am watching Klaus and I am loving the animation and art style.
It's fun and the 2D animation is giving me...a cozy feel.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Owl House has some creepy looking monsters
I like it!

So the long necked Owl sounds like Mickey, also Luz sounds like Webby from DuckTales or is it just me?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1 of Epiphet Erased is officially up on YouTube. Apparently each episode is going up on YouTube two weeks after release, probably because VRV isn't available in a lot of countries

The animation style... really takes some getting used to. It feels like an over-animated visual novel tbh. Some of the stylistic choices, like the overhead grid, are a bit jarring too (though it made more sense when I remembered this was originally a tabletop RPG). Everything else is great though, especially the voice acting and the humour.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1 of Epiphet Erased is officially up on YouTube. Apparently each episode is going up on YouTube two weeks after release, probably because VRV isn't available in a lot of countries

The animation style... really takes some getting used to. It feels like an over-animated visual novel tbh. Some of the stylistic choices, like the overhead grid, are a bit jarring too (though it made more sense when I remembered this was originally a tabletop RPG). Everything else is great though, especially the voice acting and the humour.

That was pretty fun. I was already aware of the animation style from the trailer, so it wasn't a huge shock. It's kind of weird that Molly's ability is initially presented by her as being really weak, but in fact, it's pretty OP. I suppose that's the idea, though.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
So, here's a trailer for Infinity Train book 2 out of nowhere! We're following a new protagonist.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
At long last, Glitch Techs will see the light of day thanks to Netflix.

For those not aware, Glitch Techs was set to debut in early 2019 on Nickelodeon before being postponed indefinitely and its show crew let go while they were in the middle of developing the first half of a second season. They were still able to complete their first season and that's what Netflix will be streaming in 2020.

show intro:

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know much about Glitch Techs other than the animation clips I've seen on Twitter, but those seemed very good for a Nickelodeon. It's a shame the crew was let go and their hard work was put in limbo until now.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Is Nickelodeon even capable of new original cartoons at this point? They don't seem to even try anymore.

Hopefully something comes from that Netflix deal.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

First half of the episode was slow, but it got more interesting once it got to the encounter in the second half. I dig the wild way they use their epithets. And I suppose I was off on Molly's epithet being broken, we just hadn't seen other characters use them in odd ways until now.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

This video on Recess (specifically on one episode) seemed really interesting. My only exposure to this series was through Recess: School's Out. After the video (and hearing them mention that 3 seasons are already up on Disney+) I kinda want to check out the show.

First half of the episode was slow, but it got more interesting once it got to the encounter in the second half. I dig the wild way they use their epithets. And I suppose I was off on Molly's epithet being broken, we just hadn't seen other characters use them in odd ways until now.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the pivot with Molly and Giovanni, but after that fire scene I'm sold on the both of them. Especially Giovanni. How can one character be so good after only 2 episodes??

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
That was really good. Also nice that things seem to be getting better by the end of the short.

EDIT: This short probably deserves its own thread.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Another (final?) trailer/promo for The Owl House. Features a few new scenes:

Also titles for the first 10 episodes have been officially released:
1cacff68f62f22049115cf5e6b7070ebc249af08.jpg

gib
21400522a13093e224ecd18d4759e14641735209.gif

EDIT: another promo focusing on Luz

EDIT: and one of Eda. King coming tomorrow?

EDIT: yup

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Klaus. Sad I couldn't see this in theatres but it's still a beautiful piece of work. Liking the character designs a lot.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Piping in to add my name to the "I loved Klaus" list.

Also, this bit from Wikipedia caught my attention:

"Pablos wanted to explore how the medium would have evolved had western animation film studios not switched to producing mostly computer animated films since the 1990s. For the film's look, the studio sought to overcome some of the technical limitations that traditional animation had, focusing on organic and volumetric lighting and texturing to give a film a unique look, while maintaining a hand-crafted feel."

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any interest in a thread talking about the show endings of the last couple years? A bunch of them ended in roughly the same time period, so it could be interesting to compare. The ones I recall watching are Adventure Time, Star vs., My Little Pony: FiM, and as of an hour ago OK KO.