• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The third season just recycles the MOTW villains from the previous seasons and stretch out the romance subplot between Marinette and Adrien.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It was the season finale, in fact. However, I think that was intentional. There weren't any big things that made it a bad first episode, but there was a wink wink "I get the feeling every adventure will go like this" joke from Cat Noir.
this. the origin story being at the end of the first season very much felt like it was by design.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this. the origin story being at the end of the first season very much felt like it was by design.
I got the impression that they made the origin story as their first episode, but it wasn't working out for whatever reason (could've been any number of reasons), so they just skipped it and went straight into the show's episodic (not serial) monster-of-the-week episodes (which are traditionally supposed to be sandwiched between important serialized episodes which bookend the season), and then they dropped a reworked version of the origin story in at the end of the season, where it didn't matter because the position was less important (like, that's where some productions dump clip shows, to stretch out the episode count).

I remember the butchered dubs of Cardcaptors and Escaflowne doing the same thing. Skip the first episode for the show's big launch, then dump the first episode later in the season.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone heading to the New York International Children's Film Festival next month can see the premiere of season two of Hilda. I'm quite excited for it, in case you couldn't tell...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
As good as inf train season 2 was, i still find season 1 good on its own. Granted the sense of mystery is lost but it still holds up imo.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Been watching Big City Greens and it is great
Love the humor and characters and the stories are quite good for the most part

Like the episode Uncaged
Nancy being a sensible adult that acknowledges her own 'faults' and wanting her kids to be better than her was a great approach to these kind of stories

Y'all, Kipo is good as hell. Please watch it.
After Big City Greens I will :3

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I finished marathoning Amphibia on Disney Plus, and the first episode of The Owl House was fun and had enough slices of horror inbetween the spouts of comedy (I was not expecting the main protagonist to be overtly eccentric .

I hope to see more about both shows, as both are very promising. I'll post more impressions when I get home on Saturday.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, Kipo is good as hell. Please watch it.

Thank you for reminding me about this

I finally decided to check out a few episodes, and holy hell is this show good.

The core characters are really fun, the action is surprisingly good, the sense of adventure is great, I also *love* the use of music in this show. I wouldn't call it a musical, but the show's usually had a vocal theme for per episode and they've even played with genre depending on the villains of the week. The episode with the Cats has this fun country ballad:

There's also been Snakes using rock, Wolves rapping etc. it's great. I actually want to check out the soundtrack once I'm done watching the show.

Anyway, I don't know how to describe the show other than "it's anime as hell, but in a really good way". More folks need to watch it

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

Crisis Jung out on Feb 1st on Netflix fr 😀

Yesss, I've been waiting for this forever.

It's been shown at festivals for literally more than a year and a half

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Animator & Animation Director Ross O' Donovan (Pokemon: The Next Next Generation, Starbomb: Minecraft Is For Everyone!, & the in-pitching Gameoververse) has created a new animated short for his own original IP, that's about different humanoid mythical monsters who cover a different branch of creative media (Game Streaming, Instagram Modelling, Music, etc.) Part of an ongoing series, which started off as a side-project while he has been pitching an animated series called Gameoververse to TV & Streaming platforms, this first short came to fruition where he can cover two goals:

1) Be an informative & educational short that encourages those who get cold feet for sharing their own creations across the web.

2) To experiment with limited animation techniques & faster production schedules, in the wake of YouTube's ridiculous algorithms that forced most animated projects to become "story-time" videos that need to be uploaded at frequent (but nonsensical) upload speeds.

It had taken him 2 1/2 months to make this animated short, which was composed of himself, a BG painter, and 2 clean up artists in the home stretch.

Give it a watch, as it's a super cute cartoon with cute/sexy monster girls that poke fun at social media that also happens to be hilarious.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Final space one of the greatest things I've seen
Something about it is so chilling

Rick and morty season 4 humor dropped by a margin.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix trailer for Glitch Techs:

First 10 episodes (out of 20 produced) premiere 2/21. Depending on how much support they get from these releases, another set of 10 unproduced episodes that the crew had already written and boarded could be finished up and eventually released.

Last edited:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

First 10 episodes (out of 20 produced) premiere 2/21. Depending on how much support they get from these releases, another set of 10 unproduced episodes that the crew had already written and boarded could be finished up and eventually released.

Ah right, that's the show where the animation studio closed down before they finished, right? Looks alright. That girl has Twilight hair.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

I love what I've seen of the series (watching a rough cut of the pilot episode a year ago), and it's super fun show that scratches a particular itch.

....But it doesn't instil confidence that Nickelodeon had left this project to rot long after the first 10 episodes were completed, prior to Netflix acquiring the streaming rights. It also doesn't help that they'll only produce the remaining 10 episodes IF it's received with critical reception.

So I just feel bad for everyone who were part of this production, along with Nick getting cold feet to air this.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it seemingly so hard for Nickelodeon to create any new animated properties and have them stick?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it seemingly so hard for Nickelodeon to create any new animated properties and have them stick?
I mean they have the loud house.
basically they want everything to be on the level of spongebob or fairly oddparents so if you aren't at least loud house level of success you likely aren't getting much more.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nick doesnt cultivate ips well and it shows with anything they produced in the past decade. they have almost no confidence with anything they create if its not a success out of the gate and doesnt even really bother to give these shows the air time they should have had. with cable on it's last legs, maybe that can change, but im not hopeful. nick treats it's creators like crap and it treats it's ip like crap. even the shit they bought out seems to barely concern them- the new TMNT show is being uncermoniously dumped on nicktoons, a channel where it's ip disintegrates because they dump off the remaining episodes and nothing new comes from those shows after that. the fact nicktoons is just seen as the channel where things go to die says so much.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
nick doesnt cultivate ips well and it shows with anything they produced in the past decade. they have almost no confidence with anything they create if its not a success out of the gate and doesnt even really bother to give these shows the air time they should have had. with cable on it's last legs, maybe that can change, but im not hopeful. nick treats it's creators like crap and it treats it's ip like crap. even the shit they bought out seems to barely concern them- the new TMNT show is being uncermoniously dumped on nicktoons, a channel where it's ip disintegrates because they dump off the remaining episodes and nothing new comes from those shows after that. the fact nicktoons is just seen as the channel where things go to die says so much.
It's likely why they recently signed a deal with netflix. (Though I imagine part of that was netflix trying to fill the soon to be dreamworks void)

It will be interesting to see what comes from it, but I imagine instead of new and exciting shows we will just get a number of attempts to review old shows. (like the already confirmed rugrats revival and the spongebob spin off that should be airing on nick this year)

Granted it also might be a short lived partnership with CBS moving towards their own streaming service https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/via...vice-to-include-paramount-cbs-all-access.html

though who knows, maybe they will decide to just sell nick to netflix
that backlog of nicktoons plus IPs to play around with could be quite useful to netflix to build their library for kids.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

gonna wait until my day off so I can binge this
early impressions of the pilot episode are positive from what I've seen

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Hilda Season 2 now officially set for "Fall 2020". Also reminder: first two episodes sneak preview happening tomorrow:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
(Cross posting from another thread, since I just tought that this would be a better place to ask)

Watching the show (Batman: The Animated Series), and I'm trying to understand the credits. What is the difference between "Animation Services" and "Layout Services"? Like I know Spectrum did the animation for some episodes, but apparently they did layouts for episodes done by Dong Yang.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Glitch Techs seems to be about as good as a family show premised on video games can be. That is to say, cheesy, but fun.
agreed. really more people should watch it.
I'm looking forward to the other half of the first season coming out later this year. I really hope that they do manage to resume production on season 2 that is currently stuck on Nick servers though.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Just finished 101 Dalmatian Street last night. It was as good as I hoped and then some!

The original 101 is my favorite classic Disney film behind Fantasia so I'm just so happy to see it's been done so well. That mid season two parter connecting it with the original film is a thing of beauty. And then Cruella in the Season Finale, oh boy, they turned up the creep factor to 11 for her. I don't want to give too much away but I probably would've been legit terrified if I saw this as a kid.

One thing I hope a Season 2 goes over though

They never really explain how they got the house and why they don't have humans taking care of them. I mean if Cruella is still alive what happened to Anita and Rodger? They had a kid, what happened to them?

I still don't know why they skipped airing this in the US. Did they think kids wouldn't get the "Britishness" or something?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The release of the 3 Caballeros was also delayed in the US for some reason.
...maybe they were worried it'd confuse viewers of DuckTales 2017?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode of 101 Dalmatian Street last year, and it felt like a bunch of loud noises. Ironically the quietest part of the episode was the fireworks show. Does it improve in that regard?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The release of the 3 Caballeros was also delayed in the US for some reason.
...maybe they were worried it'd confuse viewers of DuckTales 2017?

You know I could see that because it did come out AFTER the new DuckTales. It's just weird for a show based on a movie celebrating Latin America to be aired exclusively in Southeast Asia of all places.

With Dalmatian Street, it makes sense to air in the UK first but then it started airing everywhere else BUT US and Canada. That's even weirder.

I watched the first episode of 101 Dalmatian Street last year, and it felt like a bunch of loud noises. Ironically the quietest part of the episode was the fireworks show. Does it improve in that regard?

I think the show really shines when it focuses on the secondary supporting cast and you definitely don't get that in the first pair of episodes. One of the best episodes involved the artistic pup, DaVinci succumbing to stress and anxiety for her art. It's wonderfully poignant and BEAUTIFULLY animated.

Otherwise it doesn't REALLLLY get out of its comfort zone of "Zany Dog Antics". If you get to the mid season London We Have a Problem and still aren't feeling it, I'd just skip to Season Finale arc of Dante's Inferno > The DeVill You Know > The Devill Wears Puppies just to help close you out and not leave you hanging. I'd recommend that stuff highly since it really feels like a proper, true sequel to the original movie.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(Cross posting from another thread, since I just tought that this would be a better place to ask)

Watching the show (Batman: The Animated Series), and I'm trying to understand the credits. What is the difference between "Animation Services" and "Layout Services"? Like I know Spectrum did the animation for some episodes, but apparently they did layouts for episodes done by Dong Yang.
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that "layouts" = pencil drawings (drawn on paper using a backlit animation board, so you can draw keyframes and in-between frames, and frames in between the in-between frames), and "animation" = putting a piece of clear cellophane over that pencil drawing and coloring the pencil by hand-painting the cel (or at least, that's what animation was in the 90's).

WB probably trusted Dong Yang to paint the cels, but they didn't want to hand the entire thing over to them, and they liked Spectrum's pencil drawings, so Spectrum draws and paints their own stuff, while Spectrum also draws pencil stuff for Dong Yang to paint.

Even if Dong Yang is really good at pencil drawing, the whole show would look more consistent and steady across episodes if the animators are basically all working from fewer artists, with fewer different styles.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that "layouts" = pencil drawings (drawn on paper using a backlit animation board, so you can draw keyframes and in-between frames, and frames in between the in-between frames), and "animation" = putting a piece of clear cellophane over that pencil drawing and coloring the pencil by hand-painting the cel (or at least, that's what animation was in the 90's).

WB probably trusted Dong Yang to paint the cels, but they didn't want to hand the entire thing over to them, and they liked Spectrum's pencil drawings, so Spectrum draws and paints their own stuff, while Spectrum also draws pencil stuff for Dong Yang to paint.

Even if Dong Yang is really good at pencil drawing, the whole show would look more consistent and steady across episodes if the animators are basically all working from fewer artists, with fewer different styles.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this was posted, but it looks like we'll be getting some actual Hilda merchandise this fall:

ER5DRxKWsAUTetB