• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
westernanimation3zzkmb.jpg

What topics are discussed in this thread?

This is a thread to discuss, analyze, and celebrate western animation -- both old and new. This includes 2D, 3D, and stop-motion animation. Western animation is generally defined as animation produced outside of Asia and catered to western audiences. A western animated show might be animated in Asian countries, but the show's writers, creators, voice actors and target audience are still located in the west.

Why does this thread exist?

Many western animated shows and movies don't have threads dedicated to them. Need a place to talk about King of the Hill, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Futurama, or Batman: The Animated Series? How about old cartoons like Pink Panther, Popeye, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, and The Flintstones? This is a place for animation fans to discuss them.

What topics can we discuss in this thread?

• Animated TV series. (Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, MGM cartoons, Netflix shows, etc)
  • Animated Feature Length Films. (Disney, Pixar, Laika, Sony Animation, Dreamworks, etc)
  • Animated Short Films (includes student films and internet cartoons).
  • Latest news and business trends in western animation.

Animated shows with official threads:

Links to valuable animation sites:

Deleted member 59

Cool idea for a thread. I'm many a season behind on most shows but recently started Bobs Burgers and have binged until the 4th season. It's high tier tv for me. Regularly very funny and consistent.

Regarding films, im hyped for Coco. Gonna take my niece's to watch it on the 25th. Should be a good'un.

edit - I'm not taking them to see Coco because it seems like it's not releasing in the UK until next year! Glad this thread appeared because It made me double check. Bit sad now :(

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just wanna chime in and say that Batman TAS, the original 1990s series, is well deserving of its praise. Many great great episodes.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No Transformers or Thundercats in the OP? No He-Man? For shaaameee.

ITT: I realize I'm old stuff. ._.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has approved 26 animation feature submissions for next year's Oscar race.

Nominations for the 90th Academy Awards will be announced on January 23, 2018.

Source: Deadline

The submissions for best feature animated film are as follows:

The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales
Birdboy: The Forgotten Children
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie
Cars 3
Cinderella the Cat
Coco
Despicable Me 3
The Emoji Movie
Ethel & Ernest
Ferdinand
The Girl without Hands
In This Corner of the World
The Lego Batman Movie
The Lego Ninjago Movie
Loving Vincent
Mary and the Witch's Flower
Moomins and the Winter Wonderland
My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea
Napping Princess
A Silent Voice
Smurfs: The Lost Village
The Star
Sword Art Online: The Movie – Ordinal Scale
Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Yay this thread lives again!

I will be watching Miraculous Ladybug season 2 next month, though I still don't know if I truly enjoy the show or just want to see how the big reveal of their secret identities is going to go. :P

Oct 25, 2017
I think I saw a Trollhunters season one DVD at Barnes and Noble last week. Didn't know it was coming to video.

And yet BoJack is stuck on Netflix.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yay this thread lives again!

I will be watching Miraculous Ladybug season 2 next month, though I still don't know if I truly enjoy the show or just want to see how the big reveal of their secret identities is going to go. :P

Chloe is the arguably the worst character in the entire series, but she is going to become like Ladybug in the next season. Why, she is nothing more than an one-dimensional mean girl?

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Chloe is the arguably the worst character in the entire series, but she is going to become like Ladybug in the next season. Why, she is nothing more than an one-dimensional mean girl?
I mean... if the writing is good enough I could see it working but these are the same writers that gave Le Papillon/Hawk Moth such memorable lines like "Ahhh..." and "I'll get you next time Ladybug!" Such a deep villain.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Miraculous Ladybug, the character designs seem nice, but the character drama seems weak from what I've heard.
It's nothing you haven't seen before, but maybe it'll get better with time if they replace the monster of the week format with more focus on the origin of the miraculouses or Adrian's relationship with his father or something.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
It's nothing you haven't seen before, but maybe it'll get better with time if they replace the monster of the week format with more focus on the origin of the miraculouses or Adrian's relationship with his father or something.

Adrian's relationship with his father, along with what happened to his mother is what is keeping me interested in the show.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This article is over a week old, but I thought it was worth posting here.

THR: Is Disney's New 'Lion King' an Animated Film?

Download-The-Lion-King-Movie-740x410.jpg

Is Disney's retelling of The Lion King live action or is it animated? Once upon a time it was easy to distinguish between live action and animation. But as digital visual effects become more sophisticated, an increasing amount of live action motion pictures are now created in a computer.

This became particularly apparent in 2002, when Stuart Little 2, which starred a CG mouse in a live action-set story, qualified in the category for the Academy Award for an animated feature. It didn't go on to earn a nomination, but it generated plenty of debate. As digital techniques have continued to grow in sophistication and realism, it has only blurred the lines further.

In the 90th Academy Awards rules, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences defines an animated film as "a motion picture in which movement and characters' performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of animation: narrative or abstract.

A key point is that "animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture's running time. In addition, a narrative animated film must have a significant number of the major characters animated."

The branch is very much aware of the blurring of the lines. In fact, the animated feature rules even state: "If the picture is created in a cinematic style that could be mistaken for live action, the filmmaker(s) must also submit information supporting how and why the picture is substantially a work of animation rather than live action."

Under these guidelines, arguments could be made that certain films including Avatar and The Jungle Book could have been submitted for animated feature Oscar consideration. But the studios didn't enter these films in the category. James Cameron and Jon Landau have asserted that Avatar is not an animated film, and they are among other filmmakers that share the same view.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
This article is a week old, but I thought it was worth posting here.

THR: Is Disney's New 'Lion King' an Animated Film?

Download-The-Lion-King-Movie-740x410.jpg

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Haven't read the article, but I've been saying this for months. How can a movie be considered live-action if every single character is CGI-animated and mostly everything else is CG? I can see how Avatar got away with it because a lot of the cast were human actors or at least motion-captured humans. But every single character in Lion King is a talking animal. The new Lion King isn't a live-action remake so much as it is a CGI-animated remake with live-action settings and traditional live-action camera movements. I mean, I have no doubt that it will look amazing. It's just a weird middle ground for the movie to be in.

My main worry is Beyonce as adult Nala. Beyonce is not a good actress at all. Maybe she's gotten better since Austin Powers 3, but she was awful in that. Hopefully she isn't as bad of a voice actress.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's favorite non Disney movie?

Mine's certainly
secret_of_nimh_poster_9791.jpg
This would have been my answer but to be different I guess I will go with Watership Down.

Went into it completely blind a year or two ago. I'm not sure if "enjoy" is the correct word I would use for what I felt watching it, but it left an impression on me.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread!

I won't commit to a favorite movie, but I am a huge fan of cartoon saloon.

nMEem.JPG

4dEHy.JPG

Which means I'm very hyped about the upcoming wolfwalkers!

ka1r3.JPG

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The best animated show, and really the best TV show in general, is coming back next year. I'm talking about the Venture Bros. of course.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread!

I won't commit to a favorite movie, but I am a huge fan of cartoon saloon.

nMEem.JPG

4dEHy.JPG

Which means I'm very hyped about the upcoming wolfwalkers!

ka1r3.JPG

Don't forget about The Breadwinner, do we have any idea when that's getting it's major release?

The_Breadwinner_%28film%29_poster.jpg

Although I am more interested in Wolfwalkers myself.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget about The Breadwinner, do we have any idea when that's getting it's major release?

The_Breadwinner_%28film%29_poster.jpg

Although I am more interested in Wolfwalkers myself.

True! I've only seen Tomm Moores output, so that's probably why I focused on wolfwalkers. According to wikipedia the breadwinner is due to be released 17:th november 2017, which is rather now-ish. Though I doubt it will be screened in Sweden where I'm at. Song of the sea came and went in the blink of an eye up here, and that is surely their most high profile movie yet.

Last edited:

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't read the article, but I've been saying this for months. How can a movie be considered live-action if every single character is CGI-animated and mostly everything else is CG? I can see how Avatar got away with it because a lot of the cast were human actors or at least motion-captured humans. But every single character in Lion King is a talking animal. The new Lion King isn't a live-action remake so much as it is a CGI-animated remake with live-action settings and traditional live-action camera movements. I mean, I have no doubt that it will look amazing. It's just a weird middle ground for the movie to be in.

I completely agree. If stretching it really far, I think there's _maybe_ one argument with regards to the acting (and that would also touch on the debate of mocap acting in general) :
The authoring of the acting performance and the directorial input happens on a stage, with the actors and the director present, and the decisions on the acting are made on set. Thus, the acting performance, at its core, is one of the actor, and not one of the animator who processes the mocap data later on.
(UNLESS the animator, on director's input, changes the performance substantially afterwards. Then the animator is the author of the performance.)

If we're really streching it, then this could be an argument.

The problem is, that an incredible amount of "normal" animation is authored exactly like this, with an animator looking at a mirror, and a director discussing what the character is gonna do.
So you know what? Forget that, that argument is invalid.

Then, there's the use of partially real sets, real locations etcpp. but we know from any other VFX project that most of it is gonna be stitched together in the computer anyway as well.

So in the end, for the Lion King, I don't think neither of these will hold up, so in my mind, if there's no real people appearing in it, it's gonna be a CG animated film, no matter how many Triple A mocap-actors Disney hires!

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a list of pre-2008 western animated shows that are in High Definition?

The other day, i was surprised to find out that shows like the original Teen Titans (2003), Kim Possible (2002) and What's New Scooby-doo? (2002) were made natively in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_SY-lKZgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFCR1AhWRI

Also, Disney has remastered some of their older 80s and 90s shows in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_rT3x0hE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_DF7WjKE2o

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this thread come back. Pretty good timing too, since it seems like a bunch of shows started up again recently.

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
The Thief and the Cobbler definitely had some amazing visuals. It was just a shame that the final product was a far cry from the original vision of Richard Williams (animation director of Who Framed Roger Rabbit). If any one of you plans to watch this, check out the Recobbled cut of the film and pay no attention to the theatrical release.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Animation throughout History: Steamboat Willie (1928)

"The Jazz Singer" was released in 1927 and marked the end of the silent film era. It was the first motion picture with a synchronized recorded music score and lip-synchronous singing. After watching The Jazz Singer, Walt Disney became determined to create a fully synchronized sound cartoon. This led to the creation of 1928's "Steamboat Willie", a black-and-white animated short film directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks.

Steamboat Willie is notable for launching the Mickey Mouse character into international fame, and it was the first Disney cartoon with synchronized sound. In 1998, it was selected for preservation in the United States' National Film Registry for being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film has also attracted controversy over the years due to topics such as copyright law and public domain.

This Saturday, on November 18th, Steamboat Willie will be celebrating its 89th anniversary.

Other Facts:

There are levels based on Steamboat Willie in video games such as 'Mickey Mania' and 'Epic Mickey',