• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
lineup-features.png

This will probably be officially announced in the stream that's going up a couple of hours from now. Speeds are 7000MB/s for Sequential Read and 4100MB/s, 5300MB/s and 5100MB/s for Sequential Write in the 500GB, 1TB and 2TB respectively.

Prices are $149.99 for 500GB, $229.99 for 1TB and $449.99 for 2TB. These prices will surely go down as time goes by like every single drive does.

WD Store Link.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
We got RGB drives now. C'mon man.

Even as an alternative to traditional disk activity indicators, that's a bit much.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RGB lighting? WHY?!

Oct 25, 2017
Um, you forgot to mention it also has custom RGB lighting so it won't be all alone and afraid of the dark when inside your PS5.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you surprised with the RGB? PC gamers have RGB on their RAM modules. The mobo I bought can blink on beat with music I play. :lol

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
non of the supported drives are NVMe drives though. These are just for external storage.

edit: nevermind. didn't notice the one on the left

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they have to verify with Sony before labeling their drive or if Sony sent out a set of standards to all manufacturers and if they hit it they can choose to label as PS5 compatible?

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Nice the more SSDs we get that's combitable the faster we get better prices, good for the consumer.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Prices are fair for the performance. Nice find and now we just need Sony list for approved SSD. But it's great Sony is supporting different manufacturers from the start.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
But it's nice that they show things like this in their press material. Looking good for more announcements moving forward.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Those prices so early on for drives fast enough for the PS5 are really promising (both this WD one and the Samsung 980 Pro), they're already price competitive with the much slower, proprietary Xbox expansions, and with competition those prices will drop rather fast once those speeds aren't as cutting edge as they are now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Very nice and these have a 5 year warranty as well. Looks like next year I'm def going for one of these . Same price as the Samsung 980

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
All the SSD manufacturers are already smelling the cash of those PS5 compatible drives. I expect them to drop in price faster as more drives are released and faster drives are developed. Nice first step.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Those prices so early on for drives fast enough for the PS5 are really promising (both this WD one and the Samsung 980 Pro), they're already price competitive with the much slower, proprietary Xbox expansions, and with competition those prices will drop rather fast once those speeds aren't as cutting edge as they are now.
I'm surprised they're not charging more just because they could tbh. It's all surprisingly reasonable.

Guess no one wants to come out looking bad since the space is open.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
About what I expected price wise. Actually even a little under. Good sign that maybe we'll see these get a lot more affordable in a couple years.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017

Yep great start

I'm surprised they're not charging more just because they could tbh. It's all surprisingly reasonable.

Guess no one wants to come out looking bad since the space is open.

I'm guessing they also might expect more potential volume in sales due to an influx of new customers so they can keep their margins a bit lower but overall earn much more.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially knock off $100 if you're going with the DE, so not bad.

I've got a 4TB external I'll keep using for PS4 games, and Series X will be sharing the load for multiplats, so I don't see myself needing to bite before prices drop a bit. Still, it's encouraging decent options are already starting to appear.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
It'll probably be at least six months before i get one of these, hopefully prices come down, a lot by then.