• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I paused watching season 2 after 3 or 4 episodes. I feel like many people agreed the show was struggling at that point. Did the show recover at all? How was season 2 seen overall?

(no spoilers in replies to this post pls)

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So I paused watching season 2 after 3 or 4 episodes. I feel like many people agreed the show was struggling at that point. Did the show recover at all? How was season 2 seen overall?

(no spoilers in replies to this post pls)

2nd half of the season is pretty solid with 2 amazing episodes and 1 episode that is clearly the best in the series.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It had one redeemable episode in the second half. The rest was just as bad as what came before it including the finale.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 will only be 8 episodes, compared to 10 in the first two seasons.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you could've gotten away with 8 episodes last season too. So I'm looking forward to a (hopefully) tighter season.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Season 3 will only be 8 episodes, compared to 10 in the first two seasons.
Is there a date for when this comes back? I'm not super excited after last season but at the same time Succession and The Righteous Gemstones are not going to run forever and I need my HBO on Sunday nights, which I learned last week after watching both shows earlier due to the holiday early release. I guess westworld will have to do I just hope season 3 gets back to season 1 quality, or at least closer to than 2.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a date for when this comes back? I'm not super excited after last season but at the same time Succession and The Righteous Gemstones are not going to run forever and I need my HBO on Sunday nights, which I learned last week after watching both shows earlier due to the holiday early release. I guess westworld will have to do I just hope season 3 gets back to season 1 quality, or at least closer to than 2.

Some time next year, probably in the first half.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever people's thoughts on the show I think we can all agree S3 is guaranteed an amazing soundtrack.

The artistic values of S2 were stellar, too, and I have no doubt the same is gonna happen in S3. I just hope the story goes back to a mysterious thing like S1, and not S2's "we literally bury every single plot point under 5 layers of codes to crack".

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Season 2 was meh. I didn't hate it or love it. What I do hate is these 2 year gaps between seasons. It's killing the momentum for me.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Season 2 was meh. I didn't hate it or love it. What I do hate is these 2 year gaps between seasons. It's killing the momentum for me.

Fuck these 2 years wait between seasons, really. I forgot so much stuff of the old seasons stuff before Mr Robot S4.

I remember the S2 OT, people were mad at the show, and very vocal about it ^^ Imo besides the production that was a bit underwhelming in a few episodes, S2 has 2 of the top 3 episodes of the series, and I found that it really sticked the landing, so for me the season was good and a success. I know I'm in the minority here, it's cool :)

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what it says about me that its been almost two years and I didn't realize.

Then again, it's almost been a year since GoT. Losing perspective on time due to age, I suppose.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not sure what it says about me that its been almost two years and I didn't realize.

Then again, it's almost been a year since GoT. Losing perspective on time due to age, I suppose.

it's just one of those shows where you accept that it'll be back when it's ready. See Curb Your Enthusiasm, Atlanta, Rick & Morty, Fargo.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Last year's storylines and execution were a bit uneven in some areas to say the least but I like that they're still trying to do SCI FI with capital letters so I guess I will re-sub when the time comes....

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
For all its overall faults and inconsistencies, S2 had perhaps the best single episode in the series with Kiksuya, and other strong contenders as well.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A new narrative awaits... #FreeWillisNotFree
EQlndHoWkAcQMx0

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I just binged S2 and really didn't have issues with it, but I can definitely see how it has issues as a weekly show, and frankly there really wasn't anything to justify the wonky timeline storytelling this time around.

I have no idea what to expect this season going by the trailers and the marketing that's just come out.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I just binged S2 and really didn't have issues with it, but I can definitely see how it has issues as a weekly show, and frankly there really wasn't anything to justify the wonky timeline storytelling this time around.

I have no idea what to expect this season going by the trailers and the marketing that's just come out.
I'd say that was definitely the biggest issue. The story itself I felt was as good as the first season, and there were a lot of great episodes/moments. The choice of replicating the structure of the first season without a strong motivation definitely hurt it, imho.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Season 1 is still one of the best seasons of TV I've seen. Just finished my rewatch, and it totally holds up. Evan Rachel Wood just kills it in the role.
I recall not enjoying season 2 as much, much due to the unnecessary time jump structure as others have mentioned, but will start my rewatch tonight. Maybe it'll work better without the week wait between episodes.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Westworld's biggest problem has alway been the absence of any likeable characters and the few I did like were killed off. You can get away with a lot of issues if you have a cast of characters that people care about - shit like Lost and GoT got away with it for multiple seasons because people just want to see what happens to them. It also doesn't help when you try and be clever and high brow on every level but at the same time treat your audience like idiots while still not making sense half the time.

The saving grace after the shit show of season 2 is that you can pretend the first is a stand alone story that is self contained enough to ignore everything after. I'm going to give 3 a chance but I really have zero expectations.

zeroOman

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem with the Dolores/William team up isn't even that it's not logical, and it's actualIy one of the best examples of the biggest problem with the show.

It makes sense, both what we have seen and creative has said it should make sense. The major story puts them at a parallel. And not only is William important to her but she is his main drive, the darkness in William wasn't always there, it was spawned by falling in love with her before realizing they were robots which broke him. He still loves her though he won't admit it.

So yes the final journey to the forge should have been them together.

The problem appears when they treat it in a way that though not as bad is close enough to the "answer is in supplementary products and not the show/movie that is the main body of work" which should never happen and is pretty inexcusable.

The way it manifests here is them relying on the fact that this is where it should go as justification to just do it and you should be okay with it instead of actually earning it through the storyline or emotional beats.

It's the "we know it's going there and so does the audience so let's just do it without actually justifying or explaining it in the actual story you are watching each week" that leads to most of the issues, from plot holes to people asking why things happened and most damning leading to scenes that should be resonating emotionally and be powerhouse moments of characterization feeling anti-climatic, anti-septic, and audience confusion.

Hopefully I put that down well enough to get my point across and why I think the biggest issues stem from it. I personally can overlook it but I can't blame those who cannot or are done with the show/hate watch it because these are real problems.
my problem is that William doesn't know what he want (he just want meaning for his life ? or just want to stay near Dolores? and i don't know about ppl saying he want to be immortal cuz he keep saying no to that .... all we know his heart was broken cuz he believed that Dolores was just robot... but she wan't and yet when Dolores find out about William.... nothing come up from that flash back and his love for her.... its like non exited , did he even love her?

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Westworld |S3| Jump Ahead

My name is Westworld. I'm on HBO. I'm just a regular drama on this channel. I was sent here to replicate the success of my cousin, but I got knocked off-course by overindulging in my worst impulses, and by the time I realized it, my cousin had already wrapped up and become...the highest rated...