• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

My name is Westworld and I had the most watched first season in HBO history. To the outside world, I am an ordinary western with robots, but secretly with the help of my friends in the writer's room, I'm a complex puzzle box laced with metaphor. I failed to trick the internet the first time around, and in doing so, I opened up our storytelling to new scrutiny, but I am the only one clever enough to outwile them. I am Westworld!

Inspired by the 1973 motion picture 'Westworld', written and directed by Michael Crichton, this one-hour drama series is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the birth of a new form of life on Earth.

The 10-episode second season will premiere on Sunday, April 22 at 9/8c on HBO in the US and will be simulcast on Sky Atlantic in the UK on Monday, April 23 at 2am. There will be another broadcast later that night at 9pm for those who aren't insane.

Returning Cast

Evan Rachel Wood as Dolores Abernathy
Thandie Newton as Maeve Millay
Ed Harris as The Man in Black
Jeffrey Wright as Bernard Lowe
James Marsden as Teddy Flood
Tessa Thompson as Charlotte Hale
Ingrid Bolsø Berdal as Armistice
Clifton Collins Jr. as Lawrence
Luke Hemsworth as Stubbs
Simon Quarterman as Lee Sizemore
Talulah Riley as Angela
Rodrigo Santoro as Hector Escaton
Angela Sarafyan as Clementine Pennyfeather
Shannon Woodward as Elsie Hughes
Ben Barnes as Logan
Jimmi Simpson as William
Leonardo Nam as Lutz
Ptolemy Slocum as Sylvester
Louis Herthum as Peter Abernathy

New Cast

Fares Fares as Antoine Costa
Katja Herbers as Grace
Gustaf Skarsgård as Karl Strand
Hiroyuki Sanada as Musashi
Peter Mullan as James Delos
Rinko Kikuchi as Akane
Zahn McClarnon as Akecheta
Tao Okamoto as Hanaryo
Betty Gabriel as Maling
Jonathan Tucker as Craddock
Julia Jones as Kohana
Kiki Sukezane as Sakura

TpBWnGA.jpg

Videos

Official Trailer
Inside Westworld Season Two with Set Decorator Julie Ochipinti
Season One Recap with Jimmi Simpson
Evan Rachel Wood - Never Gonna Give You Up (Cover)

4friDN1.jpg

Reviews

Kristen Baldwin said:
Westworld is enthralling even for those who prefer a passive viewing experience. The sweeping shots of big-sky grandeur! The endlessly creative violence! (Three words: Human railroad crossties.) And the performances!

Alan Sepinwall said:
It's still not a great show, but it's a much more enjoyable one to watch this time around.

Tim Goodman said:
There's never a sense that Westworld has tripped up, run out of ideas or reverted to some kind of redundancy. On the contrary, the series offers revelatory possibilities and pursues them in massively entertaining fashion.

Kelly Lawler said:
Now that the hard work is over, the series is more assured, faster-paced and easier to watch. The characters feel more lived-in, and the dialogue, music and settings can be self-referential.

Matt Zoller Seitz said:
Season two doubles down on the show's meta tendencies. The Man in Black repeatedly announces that, thanks to the revolt, the stakes of the "game" that is Westworld (and presumably also the show that is Westworld) have been raised in a way that makes the entire thing more interesting. He's not wrong.

Ben Travers said:
The first season's setup promised utter insanity, especially given its killer kicker, so to see each storyline neatly divided up and quartered off from each other proves taxing. It can feel like viewers are merely observing a plan play out instead of watching as one decision organically leads to another. There are moments of beauty in this absorbing world, and striving for depth is admirable even when it's only partially mined. What it all adds up to could easily be worth the journey, but for now — to borrow a line from Maeve — "It's a bit broad, if you ask me."

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Really looking forward to this season.

Is that the official full cast returning? So we aren't old Bill anymore? :(, Thought it would have been an interesting premise, seeing Old Bill out from the basement and exploring the park. How much he contrasts against the newer hosts with the experience and realizing and discovering what he is.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT!

So hyped...Season 1 was fantastic (screw the haters who overlooked a lot of what was going on)

My wife and I recently re-watched it episode after episode, further validated its impact.

I like the way Jonathon Nolan and Joy work, can't wait to see them peel back the onion in the next few seasons.

(And no, I'm not biased cause I worked on Season 2...I was posting my praises of Season 1 well before I got the job :P)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The first season's setup promised utter insanity, especially given its killer kicker, so to see each storyline neatly divided up and quartered off from each other proves taxing. It can feel like viewers are merely observing a plan play out instead of watching as one decision organically leads to another. There are moments of beauty in this absorbing world, and striving for depth is admirable even when it's only partially mined. What it all adds up to could easily be worth the journey, but for now — to borrow a line from Maeve — "It's a bit broad, if you ask me."
Are they seriously still doing this 5 episodes straight

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to this season.

Is that the official full cast returning? So we aren't old Bill anymore? :(, Thought it would have been an interesting premise, seeing Old Bill out from the basement and exploring the park. How much he contrasts against the newer hosts with the experience and realizing and discovering what he is.

I'm pretty sure, every "original" host that wasn't infected by Arnold's code for the maze quest and self realization...was left to rot downstairs. :/

But yea, I think Old Bill will forever be intwined with Ford (since we see young Ford flashbacks this new season, there is still a chance to see original old bill in a cameo??)

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is there any recommended recap video since it took a year gap I've already forgotten half of the details?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Elsie lives!

So close. I'm really curious to see how Billy and Logan are still on the show. They seemed to tie those roles up pretty neatly last season.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this to come back - I absolutely loved the first season. Thanks for the thread!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of a video that summaries the whole first season? I mean, I'm sure there are a bunch, but one specifically that goes into a lot of detail and not just talks about the big picture stuff? It's been a while so I feel like I might be forgetting some stuff.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Btw i just realized evan rachel wood is so different from dolores in real life. Dolores is very melancholic, but evan is very active person. What a 180 degree personality

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
LOL @ random arrowverse opening in the OP. Won't be able to get HBO Go till next month, so I won't be able to watch along with the thread at first.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
pls bring back anthony hopkins
pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A week away. Nice

Does anyone know if HBO now is in 4k yet.? I turned it off at the end of GOT ladt year and will be turning it back on for westworld

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Beware of spoilers, when we figure everything out after a few episodes.

Looking forward to this, the first series was terrifically acted and paced with a nice soundtrack.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
this is gonna be awesome but please

STOP HYPE WITH OTHER PARKS
THE MAIN STORY WILL STAY ON WESTWORLD

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wait S1 was not well received? I had no idea, and i had a total blast with it!

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Wait S1 was not well received? I had no idea, and i had a total blast with it!

it was well received.
Better ratings and more viewers than GoT season 1.

But many on resetera hate Westworld because they don't believe it to be good after many seasons.
Because Lost or X-Files or Twin Peaks are still hurting them.
They will never believe a showrunner anymore and they will watch every new episode with this face:

I-dont-believe-you.gif

It's called "The Assassin's Creed Unity" syndrome.
Even if Origins is awesome, they are sick because older games were not so good. So they don't trust anymore.
Westworld is having the same thing right now

neferteetee

Oct 28, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I'm really excited. I first watched this show 2 months ago because I was home sick and I always meant to give it a try and I was hooked instantly. I loved the whole thing and was kept guessing almost until the end. I got my best friend and her husband into it and we all can't wait until next week.

I wasn't aware that so many people hated the first season.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. I wouldn't quite call it the best show on tv, but it's probably my favorite. This thread even prompted me to start a S1 rewatch this morning.