• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It's been an interesting three years for Xenoblade and supporters of Monolith Soft. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a surprise hit for the studio. It's closing in on 2m in sales, did well enough to get a stand-alone prequel release and was well-supported with patches and additions post launch. It's the best selling Xeno game and despite its flaws, it has undoubtedly grown the fan base and paved the way for the upcoming Xenoblade rerelease. Nintendo's decision to close out their latest general direct with the definitive edition shows their confidence in the series. Perhaps a Fire Emblem-style push is on the cards in the future? And three games in, Xenoblade is well ahead of where Fire Emblem was.

Monolith Soft's recent successes have coincided with their rising prominence within Nintendo. Xenoblade Chronicles made people sit up and pay attention, while the developer's subsequent work on the series has earned them a dedicated fan following. But it's their work on other Nintendo franchises that has seen them gain wider exposure. Having worked on the likes of Zelda and Splatoon, Monolith Soft has become an important part of the Nintendo family. Many questioned the acquisition of Monolith Soft by Nintendo, but it's turned out to be a shrewd business move.

So my question is - what's next?

A more mainstream, bigger budget Xenoblade that builds on the success of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and leverages the growing reputation of Monolith Soft sounds like a smart bet.

Maybe they need to keep the music, the environments and stories we've come to expect, but meld them with more intuitive mechanics and systems. Does Xenoblade need to keep its cooldown driven combat, or can it become an action game?

Maybe you feel Takahashi and co must leave Xenoblade behind to really hit the big time and hope talk of a new IP is true.

Or is the studio destined to remain on the cusp of reaching its full potential, helping Nintendo with their biggest franchises, but forced to operate within smaller budgets to produce their own niche games.

It's interesting to think about all of this now because I hope the success of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't just come as a surprise to Nintendo, but has emboldened the Big N to really get behind Monolith Soft in the future. As a result, it could be interesting to see where Xenoblade and Monolith Soft go next.

Thoughts?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed they would have chronicles ported (happening) and X ported whilst working on maybe X2 in that sequence
X for me is by far the highest profile game that has yet to be rereleased on switch

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I expect the next Xenoblade game to not be 3, but another sub-serie, like X was.
I think Takahashi hinted at it back in 2017 in an interview ? When asked if he would like to work on Xeno 3 or Xeno X2 after, I think something like "there may be another way" or something like that (unless it was a hint at Xenoblade remake lol)

But given that they were recruiting people with experience in action games, I always assumed it was for a new sub serie of Xenoblade.

I don't expect a new IP from them anytime soon. They'll keep expanding the Xenoblade IP, it'll keep growing I think. Xenoblade 2 was a huge success in comparison to the other Xenoblade games, I think the future games will keep becoming even more popular.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I just copied the image from Nintendo Soup and it looked fine in the preview - then it didn't work. I'm shit with tech and can't be bothered to sort out an image now. lol

Soup is a banned source here. That's why it doesn't show.

On topic: If we solely wanna talk Xenoblade then XCX should get its sequel next. If we talk about Monolith as a whole their next game will probably be their new IP.

There's an entire thread about anything Monolith, maybe someone can link it.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
First, we're getting Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition by a small number of select staff members at Monolith Soft.

After that, we'll get Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel. This time Monolith Soft will be the secondary developer instead of being hidden as in previous Zelda games. Their name and logo will be attached to every promotional videos alongside Nintendo.

Next year will be a new Xenoblade title by Takahashi's team. 3-4 year development cycle by the end of 2021, which is normal for previous Xenoblade games.

Hot take: the new IP isn't real. Maybe someday. They're constantly pitching ideas to Nintendo, so a new IP may happen someday. Just not anytime relatively soon.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sort of want them to attempt a single character action-centric open world game. Sort of like Zelda but with a more Monolith-ish Setting. Their team members clearly have the experience in working in similar genres.

If they plan on making battle systems closer to XenoX and Xeno2 in the future, there's only so much impact party members can have in endgame fights (My god have you seen Eye Of Shining Justice Zeke?).

I'd rather they go full Action vs Menu Combat for their next game and JRPG party systems don't usually make it easy to implement such systems very well, especially once you start having to factor in positional based damage coming from my experience with the Tales Series (either enemies don't get knocked back from attacks or the CPU ruins enemy positioning).

Super Unlikely Hail Mary Wish - I want a Mecha focused Monster Hunter like game, where you kill both organic and mechanical life forms.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know but the XC remake has me fucking excited for it!!!

Monolithsoft is one of the few studios for which I'll blindly throw money at everything they release day 1, I've yet to be disappointed by their work.

Partner with squeenix and remake xenogears

If we live in a just world, it will happen.

OP
OP
Mr.Fletcher

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Soup is a banned source here. That's why it doesn't show.

On topic: If we solely wanna talk Xenoblade then XCX should get its sequel next. If we talk about Monolith as a whole their next game will probably be their new IP.

There's an entire thread about anything Monolith, maybe someone can link it.

Oh right, I just picked an image off Google. Noted.

I'm familiar with the thread, but feel it's an interesting topic to talk about and get different perspectives on. :)

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
I just assumed the medieval game we heard about a couple years was their next main project, with the support team helping out with Zelda and Xenoblade Definitive.

monolith-soft-medieval-action-rpg-teaser-image.jpg

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Xenoblade and XC2 pretty much finished the story they wanted to tell, I think. I'd really like to see them return to XCX and continue that as a series; X set up so much that has yet to be resolved.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
First, we'll get to see the objectively best JRPG of the past decade finally get its due, which will do wonders for Monolithsoft's steadily rising reputation.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Well first Xenoblade Chronicles With Good Faces and then obviously Xenoblade Chronicles X With Good Faces.
Then ideally Xenoblade X 2

Also while not being a remake, Xenoblade Definitive Edition will still be a better remake than FF7R, fight me

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
All we know is that Takahashi expressed an interest in taking a third option for the next Xenoblade.

Though Takahashi says he's not yet ready to talk about what we might see in a future installment of Xenoblade Chronicles, I asked him if there's a chance the series will return to the harder science fiction setting we saw in Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U—i.e. will we return to exploring planets and piloting mechs instead of travelling on the backs of the huge, living Titans that define Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Takashi says it's possible, but a "third option" isn't off the table, either.

"I'm someone who gets bored of whatever it was I did last," he says. "If the [Xenoblade Chronicles] series continues, you just might see it take a third option. It might go down a path it hasn't gone down before."

www.usgamer.net

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Sales Outside Japan Far Exceeded Monolith Soft's Expectations

It's good to be a JRPG on the Nintendo Switch. According to Monolith Soft Executive Director Tetsuya Takahashi, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its recent DLC, To...

Takahashi will get what he wants. It won't be Xenoblade 3 or Xenoblade X2. It'll be a new Xenoblade with its own universe, methinks.

OP
OP
Mr.Fletcher

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I do wonder what that third way Takahashi referred to could be?

The numbered titles are wide-linear, story driven JPGs. X was totally different. I think a mixture of the two, with the right tone, character designs and systems could do incredibly well.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
A more mainstream, bigger budget Xenoblade that builds on the success of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and leverages the growing reputation of Monolith Soft sounds like a smart bet.

Would it though? They're under the umbrella of Nintendo and very rarely they blow their load on the budget of a game, for what it's been said the Xenoblade games might've been low budget in fact(or at least the first one).

Personally, like others said already, more of the same and keep improving, Xenoblade will likely get another entry and they'll also get to do a new IP while part of their staff will keep aiding in the development of other Nintendo games, for one got to see if the recruitment thing was indeedly for the sequel of BotW or for another brand new Zelda.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about the subtitle for the next game. Dropping the numbers in the title going forward is the best course of action.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Something with a different tone than Xenoblade 2, I hope. No gachapon mechanics would be preferable too. I don't expect X to come back in any form soon, but that is what I want the most.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I'm curious about the subtitle for the next game. Dropping the numbers in the title going forward is the best course of action.

I actually think Nintendo's going to intervene and push for an XB3 instead of some third option, or alternatively that idea can be spun into some other IP.

I just think that after the success of XB2, they're not going to want to rock the boat too much. They'll want to replicate the success so that the series can dig its claws in and be stable. After that, then they can experiment.

OP
OP
Mr.Fletcher

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Would it though? They're under the umbrella of Nintendo and very rarely they blow their load on the budget of a game, for what it's been said the Xenoblade games might've been low budget in fact(or at least the first one).

Personally, like others said already, more of the same and keep improving, Xenoblade will likely get another entry and they'll also get to do a new IP while part of their staff will keep aiding in the development of other Nintendo games, for one got to see if the recruitment thing was indeedly for the sequel of BotW or for another brand new Zelda.

But I want to see those budgets improve as the Xenoblade franchise proves its worth. It's not going to get Mario and Zelda money, but like you say, by all accounts the budgets are small.

I just want Monolith Soft to move up the tiers and get a bigger piece of the pie. Xenoblade had struggled to crack a million before XC2 so I can understand why they were working with less. But surely the success of that game forces Nintendo's hand?

It'll be a western setting like Red Dead Redemption

Please don't do this. lol

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I truly hope Xenoblade X gets ported to the Switch. It's an amazing bit of software, even with its myriad problems, and the world of Mira is arguably one of the most wondrous a game has ever realised. It was wasted on the Wii U and deserves more attention with a second attempt on Switch.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I hope they are making a Xeno 3 about multiverse, meaning of life and shit like that, this time without Nopons and fanservice. I know I'm being delusional here, these last two things are there to stay sadly.
Anyway, a little change in tone, something that plays with our expectations would be cool.

OP
OP
Mr.Fletcher

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I actually think Nintendo's going to intervene and push for an XB3 instead of some third option, or alternatively that idea can be spun into some other IP.

I just think that after the success of XB2, they're not going to want to rock the boat too much. They'll want to replicate the success so that the series can dig its claws in and be stable. After that, then they can experiment.

I do think people underestimate the strength of a number. You'd imagine XC3 would garner more attention than a hypothetical XC (insert name/letter here).

Games without numbers are doomed to be considered spin-offs.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Franchise peaked with Xenoblade Chronicles 1. Cant wait for the remake.
Xenogears remake would also be welcome.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. I think that game will perform far better than people are anticipating.

Partner with Square Enix and remake Xenogears.

Why would Square Enix do that when they can remake it themselves and make it multi-platform? Monolith Soft has no stake in Xenogears.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I still wonder what the medieval game they have in the works will be. I've been interested in it since the artwork was shown and have been blue balled since. That also reminds me of the Fantasy game Atlus has in the works that hasn't seen the light of day in a while too.

I don't have a Wii U so I hope a switch port of X will happen soon enough. And I will buy the hell out of Xenoblade remake. Also the hype train for Xenoblade 3 is still boarding so I better grab a ticket for that too. As far as what Monolith decides to do, I am all for it being a new IP or whatever else they want.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
If their next new game really is another Xenoblade, it should be Xenoblade X2. Use the same structure as X but with a bigger budget for cutscenes and other cinematics. Double down on character creation and multiplayer. Make your character more involved in the main story and not just the Normal unvoiced missions.

Have Sawano on the music again but give him direction this time. With XCX, he pretty much had free hands. Vocal tracks will be much better now that he has a native english speaker writing the lyrics for him.

By SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Uru

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
If they really want to grow the IP, they need to find a way to merge these two branches. Having two series with so many similarities and practically the same brand identity, creates a lot of consumer confusion plus splits dev resources. These games will need higher budgets and this more expectation, I'm not confident alternating is the right approach to grow the brand.

Do an X3 that ties X and Chronicles together and double down on it in terms of dev and marketing, and then do expansions to increase your ARPU and it's a more streamlined way to grow.

otherwise support both and stay a smaller darling.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they keep the battle system or a variation of it. I do like it, and I feel that we already have a dozen of action adventure games for people that want that battle format. Heck, if real time action is your jam Square has you covered.
As for what they are working on? It will probably release after BotW 2 since Nintendo probably has all hands on deck with that one. I hope we see a sequel to X but if Takahashi wants to do his own new thing I'll still happily buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.