• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the best dedicated streaming device?

• Apple TV

Votes: 280 44.6%
  • Roku

Votes: 98 15.6%
  • Fire TV

Votes: 60 9.6%
  • Chromecast

Votes: 92 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 98 15.6%

• Total voters

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I recently got the Shield and it's also my 1st experience with Android TV and I'm loving it so far. I rarely game anymore but it's fun to try the free stuff. I've already side loaded some stuff which is part of why I wanted one. Being able to remotely control my Desktop or use Google Earth on my biggest TV is pretty cool.

Before this I've been a Fire TV guy the past 4 years. I've never had issues with Amazon's products and still use the Fire Stick 4K everyday in my bedroom. But I wanted more power to play around with and I was afraid the Fire Stick wouldn't be able to handle it.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say a Chromecast or any device that supports casting. I find searching for things much easier on a phone/tablet than on a TV interface. Does the Firestick 4k support casting to YouTube or any other service, like Plex?

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say a Chromecast or any device that supports casting. I find searching for things much easier on a phone/tablet than on a TV interface. Does the Firestick 4k support casting to YouTube or any other service, like Plex?

You can cast to a Fire TV box/stick but as far as I know you can only cast to Youtube. I've checked to see if it worked with other apps like Plex and even Amazon's own Twitch. But the cast button will only give me options for Chromecast, Google Home's, or devices with built in chromecast like Shield TV/Mi Box S.

Myself personally I have no more plans to ever buy another chromecast again. It's good at what it does and I like using it at times, but I hate looking down at my phone when browsing for content. I want to do it the old fashion way with a remote so I want a interface to browse on the TV and the chromecast doesn't provide that. I much rather buy a Android TV box with chromecast built in. I just wish Android TV was better supported and Google released their own affordable device because the Mi Box S is kind of ass and though I love the Shield, it's hella expensive for a streaming box.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Love the Shield TV for most uses, but too bad the Netflix app on it doesn't support Dolby Atmos.

I just use a gaming laptop with i7/GTX1060 as a HTPC as its the most versatile. Also one of the only options to get 4K + HDR + Dolby Atmos on Netflix.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia Shield and I regret returning mine all the time, it was the only way I could use Vudu in the UK in 4k and with Movies Anywhere linking everything together I'm tempted to pick up a Shield again.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've got an Apple TV and a fire stick and the Apple TV is far and away the better device. However you do obviously pay a hell of a premium for it. Considering you can often pick up a Fire TV Stick for £25 it's a hell of a bargain though. Rather than run an aerial into one of our rooms I just bought one of those and installed the TV Player app, job done.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Apple TV would be good if they hadn't dropped optical out. And Amazon only has the shitty FireTV sticks now, so everything is shit :o