• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the best dedicated streaming device?

• Apple TV

Votes: 280 44.6%
  • Roku

Votes: 98 15.6%
  • Fire TV

Votes: 60 9.6%
  • Chromecast

Votes: 92 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 98 15.6%

• Total voters

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia Shield is the GOAT if you have a local library. Has all the major streaming services, Plex, Kodi without going through bullshit to get it on Apple TV, Geforce streaming if that is your thing, and powerful enough to power a lot of emulators.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Apple TV is the clear answer. The best UI, easy to use and setup and has all the applications that people want.

The downsides are the lack of 4K in YouTube, cost, and I don't like that I cannot manually restore the 4K version (you can plug in USB-C and restore the 4th gen model but not the 4K).

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i dont think there is a singular device that is the best.

I use a windows 10 machine i built for Kodi, and i have netflix and other windows 10 video based apps on it. but fucking amazon wont put an app out for it.

Netflix works fine, except that they ignore fucking keyboard commands, which means you have to use a mouse instead of a remote to navigate netflix.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Shield easily. Fire sticks are complete shit. Can't even use my original ones anymore.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4K Fire TV and Fire Stick. Use them for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Kodi from my NAS. Works fantastic.

There are a couple of apps on Roku that I wouldnt mind, but for what I paid for it, it works great.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They all have one issue or another, honestly. I have them all, and for my money, the Roku Ultra is the best for most people.

I would say Apple TV, but that remote is terrible. Roku has the best feeling remote of any (IMO). I have a universal remote I use anyway (so I can't use Siri, but honestly I use the Roku 90% of the time). The Roku is also almost 50% the price of Apple TV.

I say all this, and we are an Apple house, all Apple computers, iPads, iPhones, we even have several homekit devices (which the Apple TV serves as a Hub for). I do appreciate Apple TV for it's better development possibilities (we use Mr MC for Plex, which can't be done on a Roku), so I understand why a geek would get more use out of an Apple TV.

But, again, for the average person, who just wants to stream on a TV, Roku is easiest.

I agree, for what you are asking, chromecast isn't really "stand alone". I tried a Fire Stick for a while, and it felt sluggish compared to AppleTV and Roku. It also crashed and hard reset several times (this was about a year ago), so I kinda gave up on it. I didn't care for the interface anyway.

I've never used a Shield, but they seem pretty awesome for the right person.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have an Android phone the Chromecast is pretty magical. So simple, and supported by basically everything.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can say for sure it ain't the Chromecast. I own one and the thing is really not very good. Constantly loses connection with the remote control apps, lots of buffering (never happens on my PS4), connection issues, etc... Only reason I'm using it is that it was only $20.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the Shield TV as a Plex Client and that it can play almost any format including old MPEG2 with hardware decoding still used for TV broadcasts. The built in Live Channels app is a great replacement for a Cable box especially with a cablecard tuner like HDHomerun Prime.

My only complaint is that Android TV doesn't support auto frame rate switching at the OS level, but only supports it at the app level. I've emailed Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc many times but they don't seem to want to implement a simple feature of auto switching to 24hz for 24p content on Android TV. If a small company like Plex can implement it in its Android TV app, it should be easy for a large corporation. I believe ATV4k supports this option at the OS level.

Apple TV would probably be better for those who want a cleaner interface, auto 24p support and doesn't care about hardware accelerated MPEG2. Most people with an ATV4K have probably cut the cord on Cable TV anyway. And you can buy the Channels app and attach a network TV tuner for over the air content. Cable TV seems to be dying out over the next 10 years as Disney creates is streaming service, AT&T considering a new service and I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast also creates a streaming service.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I have two Roku (Ultra and an older base model) and I've always enjoyed them.

Got the Ultra for $50 at black friday so that was really nice. My only complaint and it's because of Amazon is they stopped supporting the Twitch app and it runs like shit now so I just end up chromecasting to my TV.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Apple TV would get my vote if it wasn't for the utter wank controller, so or that I vote for the Amazon 4k Stick (the one with Dolby Vision).

Roku seems to be showing its age.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
If you dont need itunes stuff and if you do can use Movies anywhere, its the Shild TV hands down.
It's not even a contest.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've been happy with my Roku Streaming Stick+. Dead simple UI, always has every app I'm looking for, and very snappy response. Before the Roku I had a Chromecast that was OK, but without 5Ghz wifi capability it would occasionally hiccup and also having to unlock phone, open app to pause something was annoying. I also like how Roku is kind of it's own thing...doesn't have a vested interest in promoting one service over another. (minus the Roku channel I guess, but the ads on the right side are not super intrusive)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Apple TV using iPhone as remote.

I'm running the iOS 12.2 beta and I believe they made some changes to the remote function.

Either way, it's slick as shit.

Dec 22, 2017
Apple TV by far. Especially since Amazon Prime finally was added last year.

Only glaring omission is Spotify. Wish I could play my music without Airplay.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
i've owned rokus, chomecasts, and appletv.

roku's sheer number of options and wide array of devices to meet different needs is impressive. especially for the price.

my favorite currently though is appletv. the remote is kind of iffy, but it performs great, looks great and has a lot of channel/app options. multiple 4k options.

and the fact that the itunes movie store has a shitload of good digital 4k deals is icing on the cake.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Roku. They're not selling you anything and you can get all the services on it. Their interface is also nice.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
As others have stated, it's the Nvidia Shield TV and it's not even close. Not even counting the fact that it can be a solid emulation box, everything it can do from from a home networked streaming platform, media consumption in general (damn near every streaming platform is on it out of the box) and the fact that anything it lacks app wise can be downloaded with relative ease puts it on top.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
i've owned rokus, chomecasts, and appletv.

roku's sheer number of options and wide array of devices to meet different needs is impressive. especially for the price.

my favorite currently though is appletv. the remote is kind of iffy, but it performs great, looks great and has a lot of channel/app options. multiple 4k options.

and the fact that the itunes movie store has a shitload of good digital 4k deals is icing on the cake.

The iTunes movie store is awesome. Great sales. I just picked up The Thin Man and The Maltese Falcon for $5 each.

My digital collection is all in iTunes so Apple TV is obviously my preferred device.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Everything else, then any terrible smart TV and then maybe firetv way way down.

Besides it being half shit hardware you don't have support for the biggest streaming platform with some jank web browser you are out of the conversation.

I use roku Ultras that I got on sale from black Friday and they work great for what I need and support everything and more. I'm sure Apple TVs are fine, but they are crazy expensive compared to everything else on the list. Movies anywhere makes your choice of store irrelevant... at least in countries where it's supported.

Chromecasts are great for using here and there but without a remote, they arent viable in a world of streaming services.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I built my own HTPC and it does everything I need it to and better than anything else on the market.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
AppleTV because it has access to the most services except Google Play. Once they got Amazon Prime on there it negated my need for a Roku in addition to the AppleTV. With iTunes going to smart TVs it is only a matter of time until it shows on other streaming boxes though.

While I like the interface of the AppleTV the most, as well as how easily it integrates with iOS, Roku is probably the easiest to recommend to people for me. They are basically Switzerland in this whole thing and trying to have all the content without pushing one over the other. Their devices are easy to use, and come in several price points that are really great.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
In my anecdotal experience working the call center for Hulu, the FireTV is highly functional but glitchy in absurd ways, Roku is glitchy in less absurd ways, but still glitchy, lmao who uses a chromecast, and Apple TVs have consistently had the least problems with the Hulu app.

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's the shield tv, it's a chromecast and kodi machine you can use it as a plex and emby server, whatever plex can't play, kodi or emby can.

Oct 28, 2017
I have an Apple TV and Roku TV and if either of them broke I would be happy with the other.With Movies Anywhere my movie library is "backed up" on other services which is incredibly convenient.

But day to day, I almost exclusively use Apple TV, so I chose that.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Steam Link.

Unlike everything else it runs a normal ass web browser on a normal ass open OS. There isn't a single piece of media you'll miss because of bullshit walled gardens and rights disputes.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Shield TV does everything I need it to, and then some. It puts the flavour of Android TV built into my Sony TV to shame

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Netflix via my 4K Apple TV looks substantially worse than via the Netflix app on my LG OLED. Horrible artifacting, especially in blacks.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The poll feels inaccurate since the Shield TV wasn't an option.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix via my 4K Apple TV looks substantially worse than via the Netflix app on my LG OLED. Horrible artifacting, especially in blacks.

No way, must have some settings misconfigured? My Apple TV 4K is a significantly better Netflix experience and almost everything (except one episode of Blue Planet that was mastered wrong) looks really really good on my LG E8. The bundled apps are pretty shit

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to go with AppleTV and I own 3 roku devices, a shield tv, had 3 fire tv's in the past and now own a 4k apple TV.

Apple TV seems like devs put more effort into the apps and stability of it. Because it always seems to be a bit more solid and i very rarely have issues with them. It's a very easy UI and just a breeze to setup and use.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Nvidia Shield. ~$200 but well worth it. Besides streaming TV/apps, this thing lets me play and stream PC games in 4k to my TV (just too bad my current GPU is a 970Ti...).

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Apple TV by far. I don't know if I'd buy it at its current price point, but I absolutely love mine. I got both of mine through the promotion that DirecTV Now had, so I was able to secure mine for $105 - which is infinitely more palatable.

It's pretty feature rich, has a wealth of official and "official" offerings, and from a UI standpoint - it's extremely nice.

Oct 25, 2017
Need some tips from Apple TV power users, are there any good resources on getting the best out of the device?

Granted I just have a Gen 2 but I played with a Gen 3 recently (or whichever ones were the candy bar remote and then the first Siri remote respectively).

I like the iTunes ecosystem too much to change now...