• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the best dedicated streaming device?

• Apple TV

Votes: 280 44.6%
  • Roku

Votes: 98 15.6%
  • Fire TV

Votes: 60 9.6%
  • Chromecast

Votes: 92 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 98 15.6%

• Total voters

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've had very good luck with Roku's and as someone who wants a good, comfortable dedicated remote, they are the best. Amazon and Apple's remotes are awful, IMO, and I don't want to use my phone as a remote either.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Just pulled the trigger on an Apple TV 4k (we have a huge movie collection on there) but I'm concerned about something I saw in initial reviews. Is it true that the Apple TV doesn't auto-detect HDR mode? Like for example if I use PLEX to stream SDR content, will it be displayed incorrectly with the crushed blacks and muted colors unless I go into the ATV settings menu and select SDR? I really don't want to have to do this for each type of content I watch because I can definitely tell the difference.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about gifting my roku ultra (which I love) to the parents when I get a new oled. Is webOS functional and snappy on LG tvs?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... So right now I have TV via my ISP with an AndroidTV box... Turns out I never actually use their TV app and just use the box to stream stuff from Youtube, Twitch, Plex and the GiantBomb app...

What would be the best solution for me if I return that AndroidTV box to my isp (it's a rental with my TV package).

I thought of the Chromecast at first but when I looked into it a bit I found out that it doesn't actually have a UI for apps or anything like that... It's strictly for casting from my phone? Yuck...

I have a Roku TV already but it's a 2015 model so it's not only starting to get really slow but also Roku does not have a Google Play Music app.

Not really interested in Apple TVs since they are generally more expensive and I use a Pixel 3 so really not in the iOS ecosystem.

Is there no dedicated AndroidTV boxes that would let me sync up with my google icon and install all the available Android apps?

Edit: Hmmm... I just found out you can actually install AndroidTV on Rasberry Pi? I have a 3+ that is collecting dust right now... Anybody has experience with that?

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
I have a roku, 2 chromecasts and an Apple TV.

The only one that doesn't drive me insane is the Apple TV. Always with the connection issues with roku and chromecast. Also the YouTube and Netflix app (my most used) on roku is more annoying.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Roku Express stick since I don't have a 4K Tv so should be enough but it looks like it doesn't actually support 5G Wifi? This is dumb...

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Roku Express stick since I don't have a 4K Tv so should be enough but it looks like it doesn't actually support 5G Wifi? This is dumb...
Is it really needed though? Your typical steam isn't that bandwidth heavy, especially if you're not doing 4K. So the benefits of 5ghz aren't really needed here unless you're somehow getting a ton of interference at 2.4ghz.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Hey guys... So right now I have TV via my ISP with an AndroidTV box... Turns out I never actually use their TV app and just use the box to stream stuff from Youtube, Twitch, Plex and the GiantBomb app...

What would be the best solution for me if I return that AndroidTV box to my isp (it's a rental with my TV package).

I thought of the Chromecast at first but when I looked into it a bit I found out that it doesn't actually have a UI for apps or anything like that... It's strictly for casting from my phone? Yuck...

I have a Roku TV already but it's a 2015 model so it's not only starting to get really slow but also Roku does not have a Google Play Music app.

Not really interested in Apple TVs since they are generally more expensive and I use a Pixel 3 so really not in the iOS ecosystem.

Is there no dedicated AndroidTV boxes that would let me sync up with my google icon and install all the available Android apps?

Edit: Hmmm... I just found out you can actually install AndroidTV on Rasberry Pi? I have a 3+ that is collecting dust right now... Anybody has experience with that?

Shield tv

Oct 25, 2017
Just pulled the trigger on an Apple TV 4k (we have a huge movie collection on there) but I'm concerned about something I saw in initial reviews. Is it true that the Apple TV doesn't auto-detect HDR mode? Like for example if I use PLEX to stream SDR content, will it be displayed incorrectly with the crushed blacks and muted colors unless I go into the ATV settings menu and select SDR? I really don't want to have to do this for each type of content I watch because I can definitely tell the difference.

It does auto detect HDR but it's off by default. You have to turn it on in the settings.

Turn on Match Dynamic Range or Match Frame Rate on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Learn how to turn on frame rate and dynamic range matching.

I set the default to 4K SDR and then turn on match dynamic range and frame rate so I also get correct matching frame rates with content. It's pretty slick.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Shield tv

Just here to reiterate that the Shield TV is the best you can get. I bought one and was so in love that I bought another within two weeks just so I had something to use outside of my bedroom.

The plethora of streaming options is wondrous, and the device doubles as a Chromecast and it's a pretty solid emulation box as noted above this post.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've used a lot of them: Fire TV, Roku Streaming Stick, Chromecast, Android TV, Apple TV (gen 2 or something, an older one), Xbox One, PS4, etc.

Roku is easily my favorite out of all of them.
Interface is the easiest and fastest I've used and it has everything except purchased Apple videos/tv shows (but with Movies Anywhere its much less of an issue, and the Apple TV app coming might allow for that, not sure).
It's also one of the cheapest options.

-The FireTV stick runs slowly and has the clunkiest interface.
-The older model Apple TV I have is REALLY slow these days and it's interface feels ancient. I'm sure newer Apple TV's are good, but it's also the most expensive option.
-Chromecast is fine, but having a dedicated streaming device is better IMO.
-The built in Android TV in my Sony TV is fine, but a bit slow (it's an older TV).

My Xbox One has slightly better picture quality than my Roku stick from what I can tell (I'm no expert, but I can see a slight difference, but I have a slightly older model Roku) and it's what I use for my Blurays. But it's also got a loudish fan and I'm sure it uses a lot more power than my Roku.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I have both Apple TV and roku built into my TCL.

Roku OS built into a TV is the best option.
If you don't have roku OS then Apple TV.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I have both Apple TV and roku built into my TCL.

Roku OS built into a TV is the best option.
If you don't have roku OS then Apple TV.
Yeah... Considering the Shield are like 230$ CAN... Might as well pay 400$ CAN and get a 50" TCL 4KHDR tv with built in Roku...cause you know... Paying 400$ + tx to solve a problem that doesn't really exist lol

(to be clear, this is not a diss at your reply... I legit had that tab opened in my browser all night haha)

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's a PC or HTPC or whatever. But I picked Firestick due to zero hacking/modding for any extra feature you ever needed.

Apple TV is amazing with the jailbreak but Apple works against that as hard as humanly possible so it's not worth it over even 2 months.

Anything in between those are more miss than hit for my purposes.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't know. What I do I know is:

- Both of my Rokus were slow (even the most expensive model), and died quickly.

- I was not impressed with Chromecast - I don't know if later generations improved, I used the first, and felt that using my smart TV features instead and loading apps onto it was preferable. It also freed up a HDMI port

- I used the Apple TV very briefly and that thing made my slow old Roku's look like supercomputers in comparison. The UI was also ugly as hell

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. What I do I know is:

- Both of my Rokus were slow (even the most expensive model), and died quickly.

- I was not impressed with Chromecast - I don't know if later generations improved, I used the first, and felt that using my smart TV features instead and loading apps onto it was preferable. It also freed up a HDMI port

- I used the Apple TV very briefly and that thing made my slow old Roku's look like supercomputers in comparison. The UI was also ugly as hell

I've had my TV for almost 2 years and the roku built in has been phenomenal. Does 4K with Dolby vision and HDR. Has excellent search features when you search for a movie or show it will display all the apps it's available on to see if one of your subscriptions has it. It has everything on it besides iTunes. Never had an issue with speed.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've had my TV for almost 2 years and the roku built in has been phenomenal. Does 4K with Dolby vision and HDR. Has excellent search features when you search for a movie or show it will display all the apps it's available on to see if one of your subscriptions has it. It has everything on it besides iTunes. Never had an issue with speed.

I've heard that built-in Roku OS is nice, yea. It looks nice from the pictures.

My Roku's were not nice. :(

Also my LG TV has those same search features built-in. So does the PS4 now I think.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Apple TV is having some weird problems with 4K hdr. I got my kids goosebumps 2 and randomly the screen turns blue and garbled.. then goes back to normal.

After researching it a bit this seems to be happening on quite a few 4K movies and apple is just ignoring it.

Last edited:

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Amazon fire stick 4K easily

Cheap
Plays 4k
Allows custom app installs and tools that you cannot do on roku or Apple or chrome cast
Allows kodi and mods
Plex
ANd other apps which allow tv and movies to be streamed
Allows vpn use
You can install tv streaming apps which are android based . You get all the apps you get on the other devices

Plus it allows Alexa to search your content shows and movies

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's heavily dependent on budget, which territory you're in and if you have any secondary use cases like game emulation or local library playback.

I have a Shield and an Apple TV, personally. But neither of them get huge amounts of use given the Android installation on the newer Sony TVs is actually good.

A lot depends on your chosen service for buying films. iTunes and Amazon are definitely the best ATM, and Google have absolutely taken their eyes of the ball, but I've heard they know it and are going to do a bit of work on the Play store.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I am always on my phone. Always.

So, fuck Apple TV. I gotta go with Chromecast. Easiest to manipulate and get shit going on it.

If we're talking traditional methods of consumption, then fine, Apple TV.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am always on my phone. Always.

So, fuck Apple TV. I gotta go with Chromecast. Easiest to manipulate and get shit going on it.

If we're talking traditional methods of consumption, then fine, Apple TV.

Not sure what being on your phone has to do with "Fuck AppleTV"?? Apple TV is personally easier to use and get shit going, as you say. It also helps that I have my iTunes library of over 200+ movies available through the device, and my subscriptions are automatically registered for use through the apps I download. Makes it pretty easy.

Which remote are you using.

Currently have AppleTV 4K, Hue and XBOX in my house, would love to condense controls down

Harmony Elite remote, so currently my presets are "Watch Apple TV", "Play Xbox One", "Play Switch", "Play Classics" (For SNES, NES or PS1, depending on what I have hooked up) and "Phillips Hue." I can either select one of those on the remote and it will automatically turn on my Sony TV, then the device, then feed the audio directly through my Sonos surround system, plus use one of the color light presets through Phillips Hue. I can also just say any of those presets, like "Watch Apple TV" to Amazon Echo and it activates the same settings used in the Harmony Remote system and starts it up. I've been using this setup for over 2 and a half years and it was life changing.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Not sure what being on your phone has to do with "Fuck AppleTV"?? Apple TV is personally easier to use and get shit going, as you say. It also helps that I have my iTunes library of over 200+ movies available through the device, and my subscriptions are automatically registered for use through the apps I download. Makes it pretty easy.

Harmony Elite remote, so currently my presets are "Watch Apple TV", "Play Xbox One", "Play Switch", "Play Classics" (For SNES, NES or PS1, depending on what I have hooked up) and "Phillips Hue." I can either select one of those on the remote and it will automatically turn on my Sony TV, then the device, then feed the audio directly through my Sonos surround system, plus use one of the color light presets through Phillips Hue. I can also just say any of those presets, like "Watch Apple TV" to Amazon Echo and it activates the same settings used in the Harmony Remote system and starts it up. I've been using this setup for over 2 and a half years and it was life changing.

Being on my phone is WHY the Chromecast is the better option for me. I can get to the content I want to watch much faster with my phone's apps, then I can using the atrocious Apple TV remote.

If there was no Chromecast, then sure, Apple TV is the best standard option imo (followed closely by Roku).

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Shield TV, especially if you use plex. Thing can handle anything you throw at it.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have used them all and this is not really a contest - Apple Tv just crushes the competition

Especially when it comes to the responsivness of the UI

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Chromecast coupled with an old smart phone. I have an old 6.5" phone that is the perfect size and shape for a mini tablet around the living room. Even when it's not handy, google assistant takes care of the majority of my watching needs.

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
The Shield line of products cannot be reiterated enough times. I have both the TV and tablet versions. So good. Sometimes I feel bad only using the Shield TV for Plex, streaming and PSP emulation cuz it's probably capable of so much more.