• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Best Tetris is that moment in the Tetris documentary (Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters) where someone explains to the female Tetris player that she can also rotate with the B-button and her mind is blown.

Oct 27, 2017
Good God! When I watch this video, all that goes through my mind is "How does your brain think like that?"
The way that person on the left plays is very weird to me.
Player on the left is going for the so-called Double Triple Cannon Setup. It's an opener that gives you opportunities for a T-Spin Double and a T-Spin Triple:

KTSzVd3.png

Aligning it to the side like he does cleanly leads into a four-wide well you can combo off of. In modern Tetrises, especially versus mode, T-Spins yield bigger rewards for your effort than Tetrises, and, if you can sustain them, so do combos. Look at the respective garbage tables:

tFb5BMX.png

As you can see, a T-Spin Double sends four lines of garbage for two lines cleared — more than the Tetris sending four for four cleared — and the T-Spin Triple sends a whopping six. Those two back to back send 10! Working with the resulting four-wide well and comboing will send even more.

These things are mainly possible thanks to modern Tetris guidelines. The randomizer is standardized to be more predictable, so you can actually plan out your strategy a bit more, you get a hold function to further deal with randomness but also allow for more consistent setups like doing two T-Spins back to back, and plenty of the movements done to set up openers and keeping combos up rely on the Super Rotation System that defines consistent ways to rotate blocks, even into wonky spaces. I know a lot of this sounds insane compared to the comforting simplicity of the Game Boy Tetris most of us grew up with, but I really think it adds a ton of depth and strategy to the game that reward skill and experience with the systems.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Player on the left is going for the so-called Double Triple Cannon Setup. It's an opener that gives you opportunities for a T-Spin Double and a T-Spin Triple:

KTSzVd3.png

Aligning it to the side like he does cleanly leads into a four-wide well you can combo off of. In modern Tetrises, especially versus mode, T-Spins yield bigger rewards for your effort than Tetrises, and, if you can sustain them, so do combos. Look at the respective garbage tables:

tFb5BMX.png

As you can see, a T-Spin Double sends four lines of garbage for two lines cleared — more than the Tetris sending four for four cleared — and the T-Spin Triple sends a whopping six. Those two back to back send 10! Working with the resulting four-wide well and comboing will send even more.

These things are mainly possible thanks to modern Tetris guidelines. The randomizer is standardized to be more predictable, so you can actually plan out your strategy a bit more, you get a hold function to further deal with randomness but also allow for more consistent setups like doing two T-Spins back to back, and plenty of the movements done to set up openers and keeping combos up rely on the Super Rotation System that defines consistent ways to rotate blocks, even into wonky spaces. I know a lot of this sounds insane compared to the comforting simplicity of the Game Boy Tetris most of us grew up with, but I really think it adds a ton of depth and strategy to the game that reward skill and experience with the systems.
This kind of stuff is like... shattering what I knew of Tetris, lol.

I was just happy on getting Tetris over Tetris in Tetris DS, but I guess I never played competetively and didn't know about this advanced stuff. Super interesting though, thanks for sending this my way!

Yeah, at first when I saw what was going on on the left I was sucking my teeth, but then I noticed he was doing all sorts of weird shit with it and started going "wait a minute..." lol

Nov 2, 2017
Grandpa Simpson me all you want, but Tetris on the GameBoy shall forever be the greatest. An incredibly pure experience that literally sold systems.

I'm currently enjoying Tetris 99, and would love to play Tetris Effect (especially in VR), so I've gotten used to some of the changes to pure Tetris and accept them as valid versions. Something I couldn't do back in the day with Tetris DS which... well it felt ruined to me.

Hate to be all "you had to be there" but sinking hours and hours into Tetris on the GameBoy anywhere you were was a sublime gaming experience.