• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The Gameboy Tetris, by far!

Reason is that it was the only game that had me hooked on a mobile system, I never cared for them before all that much and not at all after it. Tetris on a big TV where I use something else than the Gameboy controls is like a huge "NOPE" to me... heck, someone hand me over a Gameboy with Tetris right now and I probably would play it.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
DS or 99, I actually broke the shoulder button on my ds lite from playing too much tetris ds, and tetris 99 is a really fun way to play competitive tetris that I didn't know I needed in my life.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
It's not the best version, but I bought a version for my Verizon flip phone back in 2007(?) and having a game on me all the time meant I played the ever living crap out of it. I have very fond memories of it.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4. Has a great but totally unnecessary VR mode as well. Has songs, colors and visuals to match each level much like lumines. There is also an "effect" mode you can trigger once a meter fills to pause time and clear more lines than a Tetris would allow to get things like an octa-tetris.

I can see how that can be cool to people but that would drive me crazy QUICKLY

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't actually played the grand master series, so I can only really speak from what I've tried. Tetris Effect is probably my favourite, especially in VR, but I've also played a lot of 99 lately. DS is great, and I love all the different variants, but it feels a bit to easy, and endless mode turns into an endurance test rather than a fun gameplay mode. Tetris ultimate on the vita is generally perhaps not a great entry, but haunted mode is quite fun and challenging. For pure nostalgia, though, it's the original gameboy version.

Just thinking about Tetris makes me happy. It's probably the closest to a perfect game you can get.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Tetris DS will ever be topped. The amount of game modes, cracking music and graphics. Tetris effect is s close second though.

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Tetris: Tetris GB or Tetris NES.
New Tetris for casual play: Tetris DS.
New Tetris for serious play: Grandmaster 2 or 3.

I really disliked Tetris Effect. Easily the worst Tetris-like experience out there. Yeah, I don't even think it's a proper Tetris game. All flash, no substance.

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to be a quick Tetris player and figure out some strategies. Any advice?

Jesus I forgot how good Tetris DS's music is.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Tetris DS will always be GoaT

Puyo Puyo Tetris Is outstanding
Tetris 99 is my current addiction

Tetris Effect is good, but I can't fathom getting into any Tetris without a competitive mode. When it comes to Tetris, competitive multiplayer beats single player anytime.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can see how that can be cool to people but that would drive me crazy QUICKLY
Yeah, when I got deep into the challenges I turned the regular colors on. I was into it when playing the basic 'Discovery' single player mode, but it got visually tricky even if the game speed wasn't crazy. It does some neat speed changes with the music too, but it's definitely not a great 'vanilla' Tetris game if that's what you're looking for.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Does Tetris Effect have a classic Tetris mode? If so... that's the best Tetris. Those visuals, that music, and a classic game of Tetris? What more could you want?

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm going to play Tetris, it's going to be the Tetris in Tetris & Dr. Mario for SNES. It's basically NES Tetris with better graphics. It has a block pattern on the back, which helps me line up pieces better than the black background on NES.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
They're great, man. Watching high level play of games with the modern guidelines is sublime, thanks to the depth the revisions add. The older games are a snoozefest to watch.

Great....I'm glad it may be more fun to watch some streamer play. But I'm not watching people play Tetris. I'm playing it myself.

And for me, old school is better than modern Tetris.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Tetris Effect is quite the experience. Have to give it to that.

Next would be Tetris DS

Been playing Tetris 99 from time to time as well. Lots of great Tetris games.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Apparently I need to play Tetris DS...

My personal favorite is Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's crazy fun and I love the look of it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The new tetris on n64 is a goddamn masterpiece
This. Not to mention one of the most influential Tetrises, introducing the hold piece mechanic. It's one of the very few changes to the Tetris formula that's managed to stick pretty much universally.

I actually finished St. Basil's Cathedral (500,000 lines total) on that game back in the day. Had to get really good at making those 4x4 squares for bonus lines :P

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all....
162507-4000.jpg

On console/handheld? Tetris DS

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
TI, the other Arika one are great too.

Honorable mention goes to DS for the sheer variety of modes besides standard Tetris and the killer soundtrack.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Nostalgia speaking but I have to pick Tetris (GB). That cart was fused to the Gameboy in my house. Everyone would pick it up for a few rounds of Tetris.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Tetris DX on the gameboy color has the most satisfying controls

That's my poison. Almost daily use, too.

Though I do love Tetris DS. I also just won a copy of Tetris Effect from a local game group I'm in, so I'm looking forward to living there for a while.

I still wish I had a Switch. I want Tetris 99 something fierce.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Effect is my favorite. I'm more of a Lumines fan and that felt like Tetris meets Lumines which is more up my alley I guess than a more traditional Tetris. Also I wouldn't have expected a Tetris game to deliver one of my favorite VR experiences, but Effect did.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
1. The new Tetris (for n64 where you make large squares)
2. Tetris 99
3. Tetris effect

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Tetris DS for sure. I've played and enjoyed many varieties of this most classic near-perfect game but Tetris DS has a plethora of genuinely well-designed side modes, amazing soundtrack, and it certainly catapulted competitive online Tetris upon the masses (everyone had a DS).
Beyond that, however, it earns the top spot for me personally because I played it on a DS Lite and the d-pad on the DS Lite is the absolute GOAT. the feel of that d-pad combined with how perfect the movement and rotation and control felt... it's just poetry. It was still fun once I got my DSi (and I loved my DSi) but wasnt quite the same. DSi ad a clickier pad where the Lite has a semi-spongey and smooth and comfy pad

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think most versions have their merits, so I can't really pick a fav... I will give a shoutout to Tetris Plus on PS1 though, since I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tetris DS

99 is alright but pretty lame it doesn't have local multiplayer, either 2 people in the battle royale online mode or 8 way head to head on one tv. Missed opportunity imo, always more fun to play with friends than against strangers.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Tetris DS

99 is alright but pretty lame it doesn't have local multiplayer, either 2 people in the battle royale online mode or 8 way head to head on one tv. Missed opportunity imo, always more fun to play with friends than against strangers.

I guess Nintendo released it only as an incentive and a service to Nintendo Online Subscription members.