• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I have watched and read reviews and I still don't fully get what kind of game it is. I played bastion and was lukewarm to it I enjoyed it but didn't love. This doesn't look anything like it. Is it just a traditional jrpg? What's it do differently? Is it good? How are the characters? What other game does it compare to?

tidalrave

Oct 29, 2017
I found it to be a really well made arcade-y sports game with a cool fantasy story. Great characters, cool arc, great storytelling with an interesting "twist", great themes, etc.

It also doesn't overstay it's welcome. I probably spent 5-8 hours with it before I saw credits and felt really happy with it.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Keep it mind this is a visual novel above all. If you have nothing against that, it is a damn fine experience with an interesting "no game over" system. Really good writing & characters on top of that. The RPG part is really, really, really light.

The pure gameplay part seems to polarize but I found it enjoyable. Though it's easy to cheese the game.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's like a visual novel soccer game, right?

More like Basketball, but ya that's the general idea of the game. I didn't finish it myself, the game gets pretty repetitive in my opinion and I couldn't stand playing another match as much as I wanted to see where the story went. The gameplay itself isn't bad, it's just I have no interest in playing a competitive game vs a cpu for that long.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I beat the game, it's sort of an interactive VN style game with point and click elements mixed with sports-inspired (namely basketball) combat. You go through a map, you get a choice of divergence, some dialog choices. and some new characters to meet, and some extra stuff if you spent time looking and clicking at times inside your cart.

Personally, I liked the characters, but the combat felt too shallow for me to enjoy.

middlegray

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
It's a tough game to categorize, but "visual novel plus wizard basketball" is reductively close.

I loved it--the characters, setting, soundtrack--my favorite Supergiant game so far, and my GOTY for indies.

Nov 3, 2017
Supergiant's staples of great visuals and music, solid characters and story with fun gameplay to back it

General consensus seems to be good but not as good as Transistor, personally I think I prefer Pyre's 3v3 skilled basketball vs the other 2s similar gameplay but I understand preferring Transistor

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a visual novel with some light sports-ish elements that are really fun in their own right. The game's great. I think it's by far the best thing Supergiant has done. It's not going to be for everyone, but if you're looking for a game with a really strong ensemble cast, this would be a good one to pick up.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I just recently finished my first ever playthrough of it within the last month. It was about 15 hours long and it revolves around talking with your party members through on screen text and performing rites (think fantasy NBA Jam). Each character is unique and likable, you learn their motivations and each one has special talents in regards to the rites. The art, music, writing, and gameplay during the rites is all super solid. It's in my top 5-10 games I've played this year and if this year wasn't so stacked it would likely be higher. I really enjoyed my playthrough and would definitely recommend it.

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
I've played the first two matches and thought it was pretty good. Art style as always is on point. Love the idea but it didn't grab me enough honestly. I'll get back to it one day I'm sure.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I really love Transistor, amazing game, art and soundtrack. When I saw the trailer I knew I had to play the game, but Pyre concept never grabbed me the same way.

One day I'll give it a chance tho.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Played for about 8 hours then got bored and moved onto other things. It's gorgeous and the sport mechanic is fun but it was just too repetitive for me in the end. Game should've been 6 hours and done.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's like a VN + the Blitzball campaign you never thought you'd get.

The actual gameplay is really great, and offers an interesting take on a mix between sports n' sorcery.

I will say that I was not a fan over how much of the game was told through stationary screens and reading - not that I'm opposed to either, but in this case I found myself skipping text quite a few times when it felt like filler exposition in order to get to the game's meat. That said, the story was pretty good and I though the ending was beautiful.

Hard to compare it to anything else, other than Blitzball.

Deleted member 10611

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my eyes I'd definitely define it as a visual novel first, and crazy, mystical sports game second.

One of my favorite games released in a year already packed to the brim with quality.

Supergiant just has a feel to their games that nobody else can replicate. You know a Supergiant game when you see it, hear it, and play it. The art is gorgeous; every locale and scene worthy of being framed and put on a wall. I find myself listening to the music frequently outside the context of the game, it's that good. And the mechanics themselves are so brilliantly implemented that you might think this was a polished refinement on a well established genre. It just feels right.

It says a lot about the quality of the writing that it's the characters and narrative that most pushed me to keep playing, when the game itself is already so fun. I can definitely see some people's argument that it gets a bit repetitive in the second half; there are a lot of rites to compete in. Mixing up the lineup of characters always kept it feeling fresh and forced me to try different strategies. Not to mention the various rite modifiers really give you incentive to try different strategies.

Seriously loved the game. In a year like 2017 it takes a whole lot to stand out and Pyre does it with ease.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved the art, the characters, the music, and the narrative style. I was kind of in the middle on the basketball aspect, as it didn't hook me as much I would have liked, but it's definitely one of the most creative combat systems in an RPG I've seen in a while. I only got a few hours into the game before getting distracted by another release and moving on a little too quickly. I really need to go back and finish to see what happens to my team and my favorite characters.

So far, it's definitely an experience that's greater than the sum of its parts, and an excellent addition to Supergiant's library. I'd probably rank them Transistor > Pyre > Bastion, but that's definitely going to be subjective for everyone.

I look forward to Supergiant's eventual 4th effort with just as much anticipation as I have their last two.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I really loved the art, the characters, the music, and the narrative style. I was kind of in the middle on the basketball aspect, as it didn't hook me as much I would have liked.

Finished the game a few weeks back and this is my take. The mystical ball game never quite won me over in pure gameplay terms, but the presentation was slick. As has been mentioned the art, music, story presentation, characters, all these things really make the game a must-play.

Oct 30, 2017
I loved it. I tend to steer clear of both visual novels and sports games, but this peculiar hybrid really won me over.

It looks great, the 'Combat' is fun, the writing is great, the music is phenomenal, and I found myself genuinely missing my friends when they were no longer there.

Yeah. You heard me. *sniff*

Friends.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished it last week and loooved it. it's kinda part sports game, part visual novel and part RPG and it all works incredibly well together. Comfortably my favourite Supergiant game.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Great game. Presentation, characters, and music are on point.

I enjoyed pyre ball but was getting frequent stuttering on ps4 pro at 4k which was unfortunate. :/