• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I can't look up any at the moment and none come to mind right off, but if you know of any notable ones that could qualify, please share them.

A trend I dislike is the arrow + circle, though it's not the worst aspect generally.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
QXxNTn.jpg

They're all pretty bad, but specifically the last one.

It's like whoever made it couldn't decide which triggered liberals image to use, so they just threw 'em all in and called it a day.

Hell, it's practically a cultural artifact.

Oct 27, 2017
They're all egregious these days. Even some of the calmer YouTubers I subscribe to (the painters, the modellers) have started crowbarring these idiotic thumbnails and video titles into their output. One guy who just paints lovely peaceful pictures even started doing the 'red circle and arrow' thing - just why, completely not needed, completely forced and surely no one is clicking his videos with new titles like 'You won't BELIEVE this painting technique' with an arrow pointing at nothing.

I hear the view stats don't lie though, hence why this shit is prolific.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything from Jeremy Jahns is awful. Also he did black face once.

Honestly a more challenging idea is finding good youtube thumbnails.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing beats the high school level comic caricature of the youtubers face + current nerd rage topic + 4 hour runtime combo.

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
racist mario shouldn't be funny to me as a r/asablackman but I can't help but laugh everytime I come across it

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I think the red circle and arrow are the platonic ideal of an obnoxious thumbnail.

De-1EX8WkAAx33_

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I really hate seeing unbox therapy guy in the same pose in every thumbnail. I won't watch his stuff just because of it so I don't know if his content is good or not.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Anything with the crying laughing face superimposed over the thumbnail. Especially when accompanied with "Try Not To Laugh Challenge".

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The photoshopped animal related ones are the worse I think.
Biggest fish caught in the world - Usually a fish photoshopped to look like a giant dinasour next to a man.
Lion vs Tiger vs Gorilla vs Shark fighting! - Photoshopped thumbnail looking like some epic simba vs scar fight, the youtube itself is just spliced together national geographic footage.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently having a face in every thumbnail makes kids much more likely to click on it

Seeing Linus's / one of his crew's hyper mug on every thumbnail (along with the techbro attitude, the Floatplane guy and his fucking fence sitting) had the opposite effect on me. (I went from watching their various channels every morning to unsubscribing and never bothering with them.)

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
FGTeeV

Their thumbnails are fucking nightmare fuel and for the life of me I don't know why. Almost every single one of their thumbnails is just awful.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Linus Tech Tip's descent into thumbnail madness is a prime example of YT driving stupid behavior.

Apparently having a face in every thumbnail makes kids much more likely to click on it

Can't stand his thumbnails. I never watch his videos but because I watch Marques Brownlee videos, I get those obnoxious thumbnails in my recommended videos all the time. There's also a channel called Unbox Thearpy that's in my recommended videos with Linus all the time, all of his thumbnails are him in a hat holding an item with the same expression on his face, they always annoy me as well for some reason. I guess they work for some people because they get a ton of views, but I refuse to click on any of those thumbnails.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Exaggerated face expressions. I can't. And 99% of thumbnails have them. I'm old.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Just pick a random thumbnail from Ali-A. He only has 3 different faces that he just repeats over and over.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Fake Dragon ball thumbnails are always fun, especially when Super was airing and these would be used to fake people into thinking they were the latest episode.

Jan 10, 2018
Every thumbnail where gamers put their own heads on game characters or where they try to make a "funny" face. I've had enough of that shit.