• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
anything tech related where the smug guy is facepalming in the thumbnail. bonus points if its for an apple product. bonus points if its a cartoon avatar of them face palming.

The goofy surprised experssions don't tend to pop up in my recs anymore since I rarely watch reaction vids or vids made by kids

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not just that, after you select 'not interested', it then says 'tell us why', then select 'I don't want to see videos from this channel'

should help getting less recommendations from specific channels
Yes that's what I meant
I wish you could see how many channels you have blocked, I probably have hundreds by now

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I don't understand how people get this stuff. My stream looks fairly normal, even boring. I'm looking at a thumbnail for a video about Direct Sparse Odometry and it's exactly what you'd expect. A SuperCollider tutorial is perhaps less helpful, but it does display an appropriate logo and a sequence number. A narrative history of BSD has a thumbnail showing Marshall Kirk McKusick, famous for his work on BSD, giving a lecture. One of Cohl Furey's lectures on pure mathematics has a thumbnail showing her writing on a chalkboard. A video of a Schubert recital from sheet music shows the opening bars of the piece in sheet music and a pair of hands on a piano keyboard.

I suspect I may be doing YouTube all wrong. This whole "choose to subscribe only to high quality channels I want to spend my time watching" idea seems to be backfiring terribly for me.

Nov 4, 2017

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
mqdefault.jpg

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
As already shown by the responses in here, anything where they've stuck their "reaction" face in the thumbnail guarantees I won't be watching

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The ones with the circle and "THINGS YOU MISSED." Also, that dude that unboxes stuff. No matter how many times I've said I'm not interested he keeps showing back up in my recommendations.

"WHATS UP GUYS JEFF CAVALIER ATHLEAN-X.COM"

Can't lie. Dude gets a click from me every once in a while. His videos with Jesse are entertaining. Buff Dudes are where it's at, though. Some wholesome boys right there even if they have some clickbaity thumbnails.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The ones with the circle and "THINGS YOU MISSED." Also, that dude that unboxes stuff. No matter how many times I've said I'm not interested he keeps showing back up in my recommendations.

"WHATS UP GUYS JEFF CAVALIER ATHLEAN-X.COM"

Can't lie. Dude gets a click from me every once in a while. His videos with Jesse are entertaining. Buff Dudes are where it's at, though. Some wholesome boys right there even if they have some clickbaity thumbnails.
Yeah I like his videos. I go to the gym quite a bit and I think his instructions are great for getting the best out of a workout.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just give me black and white plain text descriptions. Is there no app/mod for this??

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like his videos. I go to the gym quite a bit and I think his instructions are great for getting the best out of a workout.

For sure. He can give some good advice on proper form and whatnot.

He has made some questionable videos, though. I watched one about the supplements he takes and it was straight up dangerous.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is the first thing that game to mind when i read your post. It's funny, It's as if they believe they're as handsome or as dashing as their cartoon avatars look. Like no you're not fooling anybody.

Jared's was another example of this.

Yeah, his thumbnails are terrible. I always found it odd how all the art depicting him is like this blonde haired Ken looking dude. The dude has red hair and looks like a mix of Chad Kroger and Nicolas Cage.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
How can we not forget if you don't even tell us where it came from in order to remember it?

Seriously though what's this video about? 8 reasons why Mario hates titties?

Racist Mario

Spoiler alert: Peach never gets topless in the actual video, which isn't even drawn in that style. It's actually done on cel shaded 3D models.

Back when it came out it would appear in your Youtube reccomendations all the time if you had watched anything gaming related.
...like this. WHY.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giant red arrow and circle infuriates me to no end.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I've unsubbed from every one of those stupid channels so my own feed is generally untainted by this filth, but I go on incognito on the work PC and Jesus mother of mercy is it rough out there.

I really hate seeing unbox therapy guy in the same pose in every thumbnail. I won't watch his stuff just because of it so I don't know if his content is good or not.

This one just makes me cringe everytime I see it. Dude, you're a tech / unbox channel (I assume, I've never clicked on of those abhorrent thumbnails) lighten up.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
One egregious channel that seems to do "all of the above" is ScreenRant.

7SB5YPV_d.jpg

They also use that first thumbnail over and over and over. There are multiple videos with that thumbnail but with changed colors. As a person who loves watching "did you know..." content, these videos keep popping up as recommended.

And yeah. They use the circle/arrow tactic too.