• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Which version do you mean? I personally prefer the Mega Drive/Genesis version more. Great game with a great soundtrack imo.

I had the Genesis but never beat it as a kid. I should go back now And beat it.

The cover art for the game was awesome

maxresdefault.jpg

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Mine was Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for the Nintendo 64.

The best way I can describe this game is as being utterly nonsensical. It was part of a massive (and largely forgotten) multimedia initiative where LucasFilm wanted to tell a Star Wars story in as many different avenues as possible without making an actual film. There were trading cards, comic books, novelizations, and eventually this video game. I think the game must have assumed you were familiar with the story because it's basically lacking any connective tissue whatsoever.

It also didn't help that, as a kid, I struggled with 3D video games.

I never understood what my objectives or missions were. I never knew how to use the controls. A level would begin and I would just start walking, or driving, or flying, or whatever the engine for that particular level asked me to do. The game was a third person shooter, but you could also play it in first person. Sometimes it was a platformer. Sometimes is was a racer. I remember playing the game for hours at a time being stuck in one single level because I had no idea what to do. I would just open doors and press the action button and look for anything to interact with. I would pick up a new weapon and it would be awful and I'd have to kill myself on purpose because the new weapon replaced my default one.

I fully admit that part of my problem was not understanding how to play, but I did revisit the game when I was older and couldn't believe how flippant it was with its story and instruction. All that's really clear is that you are a Star Wars Guy and you are in a Star Wars Place. Figure out the rest yourself! Apparently the game can be completed quite easily in two hours. Maybe I just sucked.

This is almost my exact experience.

I died constantly. Especially the "jetpack" level which was basically a glorified playformer. You couldn't explore much - just jump then double jump forward and hope your has lasted and that you aimed the jump properly.

And the shooting bits - if you weren't shooting the enemy just tilt to the left or right and hope you started hitting the droid or trooper.

That said - I have a lot of fond memories of the music and atmosphere.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If I played it now for the first time, I would see it very differently. It really is just so damn tedious looking back on it, and isn't fitting at all for how DK should be in 3d. DKC is all about crisp fun platforming and great pacing in every level. Not Giant, mostly barren worlds where you have to collect trillions of things.

DonkeyKong64CoverArt.jpg

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I loved Ehrgeiz as a kid. I loved the fighting portion, and I loved the RPG portion. I have no idea how either is regarded in modernity, but I have a feeling that maybe it wasn't as great as I thought it was. My gaming buddy never wanted to play it with me, but that could have been because I always beat him. I just loved the fact that I could play as Cloud and Sephiroth. That blew my mind. I also loved that yo-yo girl.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
5_227.jpg

Cod 4 on the Nintendo DS, and its successors. I had access to the Wii versions, but I liked playing these in bed even though I was aware they were very limited. (Or, let's say it, downright crippled)
Had lots of fun with MW2 wireless multiplayer with my cousin too.

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on SNES

I LOVED it as a kid. My introduction to the JRPG genre.

Probably Donkey Kong Country

Shots fired.

That's what I thought too.
And doubling down too! Ouch!

My answers: Flying Dragon and Mace the Dark Age! N64 had the best fighting games EVAR1!!1!!

I still think that Flying Dragon's RPG style, anime mode was underrated.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
WinBack.jpg

I have never heard anyone else speak about this game and i cant remember if it was janky or just amazing ...but I LOVVVVVEED this game as a kid. It had a really cool cover system (or so i thought) that made every shoot out like a gam of chicken

I find this extremely underrated as well. And the night theme. It's too bad you can't go back to the night :(

I too loved Winback. IIRC, it had scores around 8.0 or 7.5 from most outlets, so not a bad game, but I probably liked it more than most reviewers.

Embrodak

Oct 30, 2017
That would probably be asterix for the NES. I finally had enough money to buy a game and was torn between Dragons Lair and Asterix. I wad able to try DL at the store and could not get past the drawbridge, so that was a no. Went with Asterix.

Finished that game that weekend on hard and it was pretty lame. But I had to defend my purchase by telling myself and friends it was awesome.

As I recall they also had Super Mario 3 but that was 149 guilders and I thought that was way too expensive.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As a kid? I loved, and still do love, Friday the 13th for NES. So many people hate it, but I love it. I can still hum/whistle/mouth sound the overworld song

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
wwf-super-wrestlemania-usa.png

I remember enjoying the super wrestlemania game by LJN for the snes. In my defense though we didn't get a good wrestling game until The AKI engine on the N64. Best part was leaving the select wrestler cursor on a wrestler long enough to hear their theme song in 16-bit.

Donkeykwon

Oct 30, 2017
Rampage on the NES. It was the only game that I've physically fought someone over. It was with my best friend at the time and over a health power up. I played the game again a few years ago and immediately got bored after a few screens.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
51_W_6z0_RCGL_SX425.jpg

I was a sucker for everything Atlus put out when I was younger. Cubivore was... well... I liked the aesthetic and the fact that it was "rare." Playing it now.... It's pretty painful.

jordannhowe

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Sonic Adventure 1 or Sonic Heroes. By no means are they 'the worst' video games but not really good either.

BlackAdder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bttfnes.gif

Back to the Future. I got it as one of several games for Christmas 1989. For a long time I just thought I was bad at the game. I didn't believe that games could actually just be bad.

Oct 25, 2017
154727-air-boarder-64-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

Loved this one, this was during my "Tony Hawk-like games" phase

Spider-Man_and_the_X-Men_-_Arcade%27s_Revenge_Coverart.png

Everytime you booted up the game you had to destroy some things as Spiderman to unlock the rest of the X-Men. If you happened to get a game over you had to redo-it all from the beginning

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Bloody Roar. I now think that game is bad, but as a kid it was awesome
I remember finishing the story mode in a really short button mashing session.
It was bad dude, haha. But i can understand watching it as a kid was awesome.

To answer the topic: i've played some really horrible games on the commodore 64.. I don't remember the games, but i loved playing them. Even the baseball game.

Last edited:

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Star Wars Episode I For PlayStation.

I still remember my friend and I obsessing and playing it all night until dawn the next day. We were shocked that we stayed up the entire night just playing this game.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E.T. The extraterrestrial for 2600. Thought it was a great adventure game. After watching that documentary about it it really was ahead of its time. Was just really rushed. If it was given proper time to be made it would have been the defining game of that system. Still think it was fun, flaws and all.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Star Fox Adventures. I don't know why but it was so captivating haha.

Also Sonice Adventures 2. Ended up giving it to my cousin when we were young and he grew up unto a 3D Sonic fan. I have still yet to atone for this misdeed.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kung_Fu_Chaos.jpg

Was jank but had a lot of fun just going against my cousins in it.
I enjoyed this game quite a bit too. It had a cool replay feature where with different film grain filters and you could put whatever music you wanted over it that you had saved to your Xbox Hard Drive.

If I played it now for the first time, I would see it very differently. It really is just so damn tedious looking back on it, and isn't fitting at all for how DK should be in 3d. DKC is all about crisp fun platforming and great pacing in every level. Not Giant, mostly barren worlds where you have to collect trillions of things.

DonkeyKong64CoverArt.jpg
I liked this game as well to an extent, but I always looked at it as inferior to the DKC games and not as good as Mario 64 which is an obvious statement now but was even apparent as a young kid. The weirder part is that my younger brothers and sisters really enjoyed the multiplayer vs deathmatch mode in the game. We'd play that for hours on end.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Omikron: The Nomad Soul on PC. I had just turned 13 and was enamored with this game. I still actually love it, but it's one of the buggiest and most user-unfriendly games ever made. Love the storyline and vision though—it was way ahead of its time.

51698-omikron-the-nomad-soul-windows-front-cover.jpg

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought four player Trash It on the Sega Saturn was great fun with friends.
tT4u5Sd.jpg

It looks like I am very much in the minority with that opinion though.

Oct 27, 2017
Already posted briefly, but:

Bubsy 3D. When my grandma died, my siblings and I got inheritance, and we were allowed to spend a portion of it on whatever. I bought a PlayStation and two games -- one of which was, yes, Bubsy 3D.

I was always into platformers on the Genesis, and really enjoyed the initial two levels or so of the first Bubsy whenever I rented it. I was a kid, I didn't have spectacularly nuanced tastes or anything. That, and Busby 3D had a gigantic gold fake trophy on the cover for a review of it, basically promising my 12 year old self that this game was going to be FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC.

I remember struggling to play for weeks, barely finding any of it fun. It made me nauseous. Eventually, one "sick" day off from school, something clicked, or I just got used to it, but it wasn't that bad. I got used to the terrible camera, the single color textures that stretched over entire levels. I liked shooting enemies with the atoms, and I loved finding the rockets. Granted, other games came out around this time that completely shit on it (hi, Crash), but it was basically the first video game I bought for myself, so I always in some perverse way treasured it.

YEARS LATER, like, 10 to 15 years later, I find out that Bubsy 3D is continuously derided as one of the worst video games ever made. It stung at the time. I always knew it was basically a giant ball of jank, but it was a part of my life for a brief moment and was a weird introduction into three dimensional gaming. I know it's terrible to this day, but I still look back at it fondly.

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not really a kid but I did love shadowman even if I had no idea wth was happening in the game.

853168-198600_108646_front.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Great topic. I had a lot more to say but deleted it because it might come off as...rude.

My contribution is kid chameleon and Bubsy. I agree with suggestions such as sewer shark and Bart vs the space mutants. Man that Simpsons game was ridiculous but I stuck with it out of sheer stubbornness.

Disagree with TMNT. It was a good game for its era, even if it was inappropriately difficult for its target audience.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Blue Journey/Raguy for Neo Geo

70059-Raguy_(1994)(ADK)(Jp)[!][Blue%27s_Journey]-1508957481.png

Charmy game but also very cheap in game design and coin hungry.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Bloody Roar. I now think that game is bad, but as a kid it was awesome

Bloody Roar is pretty rad, especially 2.

Battletoads

I could never beat the hoverbike level but I kept trying.

Battletoads is top 10 NES easily. Great game!

The original World Heroes was my first fighting game in the arcade that hooked me for some reason... No idea why I wasn't playing the far superior Street Fighter 2 instead.