• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
Primal Rage was much better in my memory than when I replayed it more recently.

If you were a young kid with an interest in dinosaurs and boundary pushing video game violence, Primal Rage was an awesome rental. I look back at this game with fond memories and tinnitus, the kind of tinnitus only a Genesis sound card could produce. It is as though this game has bestowed upon me a reminder of our time together, a present until the day I die.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Iggy%27s_Reckin_Balls_cover.jpg

Who knows, maybe this game is actually good. But I doubt it. I mean look at it.

Tiopes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast and Digimon World 1 for PSX.

I still like Digimon World, but I'd never recommend that game to anyone. Sonic is just bad though.

Xiyng

Oct 31, 2017
Uh, maybe The Unholy War. It's not really bad, but in hindsight, not that great either. Still, I had a lot of fun playing it with my brother.

Alex Anderson

Oct 27, 2017
Your mom
The Final Round on PS1.

A very average early 3D golf game, but my god did I need a break from PGA Tour games. I'd played a couple on Genesis and '96 on PS1 and it just felt so slow and outdated.

I don't know if EGM ever reviewed it but it'd have gotten like 5.5 out of 10.

I don't remember liking any really bad games as a kid. *thinks about it some*

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tricky. I luckily managed to avoid most truly terrible games as a kid somehow (and the few I did play I recognized were terrible pretty quickly). But if I had to pick something, two games come to mind, for pretty much exact opposite reasons:

-Donkey Kong 64: Pretty much the definition of a bloated collectathon platformer, full of all kinds of redundant currencies, repetitive minigames, etc. I was completely oblivious to it as a kid, but going back to it, well... "WELCOME TO BONUS GAME!" quickly became a phrase that sums up a lot of the game's problems by itself (What even makes these things "bonus games" anyway, beyond being a super-loose, as in, name-only-loose, reference to the DKC bonus rooms? You have to do them to get the Gold Bananas! There's nothing "bonus" about them; they're requirements!). It's definitely a game that had a lot of potential and some interesting ideas, but Rare just got a bit too carried away with this one.

-Pokemon Snap: I loved this game as a kid. But it's absolutely devoid of content, and is extremely short, linear, and scripted on top of that. And unlike, say, many classic NES or arcade games, it didn't even have any obscene difficulty spikes or anything to mask those facts and make it seem longer than it was. So, unless you were completely terrible at it or as a loss to what to do, you probably would be able to finish the whole thing in under like 5 hours max, no problem. And then... that's pretty much it. The Pokemon always behave the same way and the same ones show up and stuff, so there ain't that much more to see. So unless you want to try deciphering how Professor Oak scores photos to get the highest scores possible, there ain't much else there. It's still fun while it lasts. The problem is, it doesn't tend to last... at all. Short and sweet is definitely a thing, but Snap really pushes the limits of that.

Alternatively, thinking about it, I guess another answer for me could be Cruis'n USA. Pretty straightforward racing game; nothing particularly special about it. But god, I loved the music as a kid, and that was enough to keep me playing it for a while.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I used to love Superfrog as a kid. I think it was one of maybe 3 games I owned back then, so I guess that's understandable. Didn't hold up at all when I tried it a while ago, though.
Weirdly enough, I think I only played quality games aside from that. Or maybe I'm just suppressing the memory of the really bad ones.