• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Forgot about "Wonderful Christmastime" ...just the hearing the intro... grrrr... (can't get it out of my head now)

Patton Oswalt redeemed Christmas Shoes

I never even realized the counting pennies and he's short segment...by that time I have either changed the station/skipped the song or am desperately trying to think of something else if I can't get away from the song.

I need to listen to some good songs to cleanse the palate of just thinking of these awful songs...

Forgot about "Wonderful Christmastime" ...just the hearing the intro... grrrr... (can't get it out of my head now)

I never even realized the counting pennies and he's short segment...by that time I have either changed the station/skipped the song or am desperately trying to think of something else if I can't get away from the song.

I need to listen to some good songs to cleanse the palate of just thinking of these awful songs...
https://open.spotify.com/album/61ulfFSmmxMhc2wCdmdMkN

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda don't mind the spacey opening and verse of Wonderful Christmastime. It's that terrible lilting and bouncing melody of the chorus that kills it for me.

Nov 11, 2017
I'll never understand how Paul McCartney came to write such an awful, awful song. Or how it got so popular for that matter.

Oct 27, 2017
All of them.

Except "Walking in the air" from that snowman cartoon that plays every christmas in Finland. That is the good stuff.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last Christmas by Wham!

I hate that song, and they always play it in stores.

Every year I try to see if I can avoid hearing it for the entire holiday season. I jogged out of a Macy's last year when I heard the opening notes. If I had already been in line at the register, that would have been it for me.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Last Christmas.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
That one that has a bunch of kids saying Merry Christmas at the start a million times, I have no idea what its called

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I am so glad I've managed to live my adult life without hearing Christmas Shoes. It sounds terrible. Most Christmas music is schmaltzy saccharine nonsense that becomes grating through sheer repetition, but Wonderful Christmastime and Last Christmas are just so objectively bad as music that they should never have been recorded.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
its homophobic? it was clearly used as an insult and can be found personally offensive to some people. what if the lyrics were "you ni**er"? its the same deal. idk how you don't see how people may have a problem with it.

Because there is context. It's a song about two lovers in New York duetting about what happened to their relationship. That verse is them slinging insults to each other but it fits into the story of the song. He calls her an 'old slut on junk', she calls him a 'faggot'. They are having an argument and we are witnessing the middle of it.

How can Christmas exist when I feel like this about you? Because remember Christmas when we were in love.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful Christmas Time. I hate that song so very much. I always mentally compare it to John Lennon's Happy Christmas (War is Over), a song I actually kinda like, making my hate for Wonderful Christmas Time all the worse.

I am not some McCartney hater, but that song blows. Lennon wins hands down in this case.

theJwac

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Feliz Navidad. I am not sure why. I liked it when I was a kid and being of hispanic heritage, I remember thinking it was cool that a popular Christmas song was in Spanish. A few years ago, I realized I hated the song and it's sad because the song gets played all the time on the radio here in AZ.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know this Christmas Shoes one that people are so down about, but I'm not going to look it up. I'll take y'all's word for it.

I didn't know it either. I did look it up. Wish I didn't. Omfg what an aweful song.
It is now my most hated xmas song.

Srsly I enjoy most xmas songs, but I think stations should limit playing them to like only xmas eve/day.
Couple days before max.

Not starting december 1st.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Got to say all of them as well, my hatred has diminished somewhat receantly, as where I am living now they only start in December, and in most shops the volume is low enough that you can ignore it for the most part and sort of it feels like ambiance. In which case it actually creates a somewhat nice atmosphere, drives me crazy though if its blaring at you and you can't get away.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Baby
Baby It's Cold Outside (if that counts as Christmas)
Wonderful Christmastime
Last Christmas by Wham!
All I Want for Christmas is You

Fuck all of those songs

Oct 26, 2017

This is more the result of Muzak playing this 5-6 times a day when working or shopping in retail, but it drives me nuts. Just 3 minutes of a woman telling everyone how she wants to bath parts of her body in the snow.

I've never heard this song until I worked retail.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
For awful novelty Christmas songs, I always thought the winner would be The Go-Go's (no, not those Go Go's) holiday non-classic "I'm Gonna Spend My Christmas With A Dalek. It really has everything you'd want to not listen to, from the horrific kiddie lisp the singer is affecting to a dalek screaming "MAY I PLEASE HAVE MORE PLUM PUDDING AND CUSTARD?" It's pretty rough.

However, while testing this theory with some friends one day we learned that, as bad as this song is, its still something folks can actually sit through. Meanwhile, it's difficult to make it even halfway through the horror that is "What Can You Get A Wookie For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb?)" from Meco's Christmas in the Stars: Star Wars Christmas Album. This is an even more insipid SF themed holiday song, with a sheer ineptness to the execution that makes it a struggle to tolerate without running screaming. Pseudo-Chipmunks robots, tinny synth sounds plodding along, exceptionally affected vocals - the whole thing is an intolerable train wreck. Hell, I just bailed on the accursed thing all of thirty seconds in while testing the YouTube link. This, my friends, is a truly awful Christmas song.

For the usual mainstream suspects, my pals who work retail report the most loathing for "Santa Baby", which is hard to argue with. And as far as the ubiquitous, inescapable standards, my personal nemesis is "Last Christmas". It doesn't help that I've always hated Wham!, mind you, but even if my only exposure to them was this one song I'd still carry unseasonable loathing in my heart for "Last Christmas". Please don't get me wrong: I also intensely dislike "Wonderful Christmastime", but it's in second place behind the endless holiday nightmare of "Last Christmas".

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't like "Fairytale of New York" because of the "slut" and "faggot" usage, but not so much the song, but because if it's played out anywhere, people always know and yell that part. Fucking embarassing and misses the point.

However, the very worse, is Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney or Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End) by The Darkness (LOL LIKE BELL END, SO MATURE!)