• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Ever since the whole The Expanse cancellation and Amazon's acquisition of it, I finally decided to give Amazone Prime video a shot (hadn't used it for 2 years despite being a Prime member cause of the shitty video player) in order to get caught up on the show and damn was the hype all justified.

Since their video player is much more serviceable than it used to be, I'm actually interested in diving into their original content.

What are some of your recommendations? Does anything come close to The Crown, which is uncontestably Netlix's best?

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it counts as a wholly Amazon production but Fleabag is great.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Fantastic show.

There's a couple of great motorsport documentaries about Le Mans and F1 too.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The first season of the man in the high castle, Patriot and Sneaky Pete are the only things I have seen and they were amazing.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just finishing up The Tick, and it's a great rendition of the character and his universe. A rather different approach compared to the earlier series, though.

Edit: Huh, this had a first line, but it seems to have been lost among a few Cloudflare wobbles. It went along the lines of:

"Add me to the people recommending Mrs Maisel and Man In The High Castle"

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The Patriot is hilarious. no idea why it's not marketed at all

as for amazon originals in general they're pretty good but i don't think they're quite up there with netflix yet

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
-Man in High Castle
-The Grand Tour (it's essentially Top Gear 2.0 with an even higher budget)

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I use it for the Starz subscription service. Nothing ever really caught my fancy tho.

Jan 29, 2018
StartUp is actually really good and Sneaky Pete.

Watch Into The Badlands if you want some actions . They also have a new show called The Crossing , watch that if you want a fantasy type show

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Patriot is not only better than anything in Netflix's OG library, it's probably the best show going right now.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ever since the whole The Expanse cancellation and Amazon's acquisition of it, I finally decided to give Amazone Prime video a shot (hadn't used it for 2 years despite being a Prime member cause of the shitty video player) in order to get caught up on the show and damn was the hype all justified.

Since their video player is much more serviceable than it used to be, I'm actually interested in diving into their original content.

What are some of your recommendations? Does anything come close to The Crown, which is uncontestably Netlix's best?
Quite a few.

Mr Robot
Patriot
The Marvelous Ms Maisel
American Gods
Halt and Catch Fire
Sneaky Pete
Bosch
Goliath
Outlander

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Bosch is fantastic.

I really want to be able to recommend The Man in the High Castle, but the resistance people are just insufferable in the first season

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Oaks is criminally underrated
Somehow I only liked the first season and stopped watching mid second. I am glad they are successful enough to come up with more seasons though and I hope I can jump back in someday.

@topic:

Patriot is absolutely amazing and not rightfully not promoted at all. The Grand Tour is basically the old Top Gear cranked up to 11.

My most recent favorite discovery was Jean Claude Van Johnson. I loved the Pilot when Amazon had the first Pilot program and the rest of the series is pretty hilarious too. It is not serious at all and sometimes a little bit awkward but somehow compelling... also short episodes are a plus.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Their best ones imo:

Red Oaks - This is a great "coming of age" comedy/drama set in the 80's, a kind of throw back show that I really enjoyed.

Man in the High Castle - Excellent sci-fi/alternate reality "What if" show that takes place in a reality where Germany won WWII. It's set in America where you have Germany who runs the eastern half of the country while Japan runs the western half. Can't wait for season 3 later this year.

The Marvelous Mrs. Masiel - Must watch, great comedy about a female comic set back during the 50's. Great acting, great writing, just a plain great show.

Bosch (If you like detective/mystery shows this is one for you)

The Tick - Great comedy "superhero" show that's quite good, I had reservations at first coming from the old cartoon and show but it is great. This version kind of tells the story more from Arthur's perspective (and it works better imo).

Bleepey

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Somehow I only liked the first season and stopped watching mid second. I am glad they are successful enough to come up with more seasons though and I hope I can jump back in someday.

@topic:

Patriot is absolutely amazing and not rightfully not promoted at all. The Grand Tour is basically the old Top Gear cranked up to 11.

My most recent favorite discovery was Jean Claude Van Johnson. I loved the Pilot when Amazon had the first Pilot program and the rest of the series is pretty hilarious too. It is not serious at all and sometimes a little bit awkward but somehow compelling... also short episodes are a plus.

Seriously. It's got a great soundtrack as well.

It had a short third season which is basically code for cancelled but given the opportunity for closure. There was decent closure but I'd love for their to be more seasons

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
Goliath. Billy Bob Thornton is great in this.

Sneaky Pete and Bosch are ok in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to watch Season 1 of Bosch and couldn't get through it
Sneaky Pete was good half the time and generic the other half
Transparent, for all its baggage, is quite good but incredibly heavy.
Marvelous Ms Maisel is the one show that just kept getting better and better with each new episode. The entire cast is fantastic

TehOh

Oct 25, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Mozart in the Jungle is fantastic. Surprised it hasn't come up more in this thread.

Most recent season didn't do as much for me, but it's still a fantastic series.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Man in the High Castle and Mrs. Maisel get my recommendation. They are excellent shows that are Netflix quality.

I also really liked Electric Dreams, but I know many people did not.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bosch can be a decent watch and Sneaky Pete season 1 is their best show. Haven't watched s2.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Patriot is probably the best TV show in a while that needs more love.

It's probably impossible to market but if you love Coen films you'll love it.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to watch Season 1 of Bosch and couldn't get through it
Sneaky Pete was good half the time and generic the other half
Transparent, for all its baggage, is quite good but incredibly heavy.
Marvelous Ms Maisel is the one show that just kept getting better and better with each new episode. The entire cast is fantastic

Season one of Bosch is bad, skip it, start with season 2.

Catastrophe

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Ms Maisel is amazing. It's hilarious, well acted and well directed. It's a great show that I would recommend in a an heartbeat.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked 'Gortimer Gibbons life on normal street'. It is a 'kids' show, but if you are the kind of person who might watch an episode of Eerie Indiana if you saw a rip off it pop up on YouTube or the Goonies if it showed up on TV then you may well get some enjoyment out of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Mr Robot is exclusive to Amazon for streaming, at least in the US, no sure internationally.

American Gods is distributed by them internationally but not in US.

There's plenty of "Netflix originals" that are actually made by other companies, like the amazing Peaky Blinders, so the distinction is kinda pointless. Depending on where you live, one or both of those shows are essentially Amazon originals.