• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is my favorite ASP thing post Gilmore Girls.

I dig The Man in the High Castle but I honestly forgot a lot of smaller details on that show.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Electric Dreams seems somewhat better than the most recent season of Black Mirror. Largely because the concepts are bigger in scope, and they've got an incredible cast.

Last I checked, we don't even have an OT for it for whatever reason.

I wish the Prime Video app wasn't so shitty though. I just spent an hour today trying to watch Electric Dreams in 4k HDR because the 4K versions of their content are separate from the standard versions, and they don't show up if you search for them. Ended up having to Google "Electric Dreams Ultra HD", clicked the Amazon link, and added it to my watchlist.

Incredible that they basically made a show with an episode about a company like them trying to take over the world, and they're not even capable of making a decent streaming app.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I hope Kamen Rider Amazons pushes Netflix to throw their hat in the Sentai/Super Hero ring.

Is it doing well on Amazon US or something? Because they weren't exactly in a real rush to get it out domestically.

A lot of the stuff that used to be Anime Strike is worth watching as well.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I am happy to see the love of Bosch in this thread. It is such a good show.

I loved the book The Last Coyote so I started watching the series and after 2 seasons I'm honestly underwhelmed. It's as if the book is being recited in a show. The back-and-forth between characters feels really unnatural; like they've all got their lines queued up way ahead of time ready to blurt them out. I mean I know that's literally what acting is but like I said it seems to lack any concept of a natural conversation. I still think it's still pretty good though.

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
ummmm I am drawing a blank. I haven't liked many Amazon shows. Catastrophe is great but thats also a BBC show.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Man in The High Castle is probably better than most Netflix originals, in my opinion of course.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Season 1 of Transparent
All of Mozart in the Jungle
The Marvelous Ms Maisel
Good Girls Revolt (it's just OK, but shouldn't have been canceled imo)
Red Oaks

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
The Tick is surprisingly excellent. It's got elements of darker super-stuff intertwined (some jokes wouldn't be out of place in "Ratpack" or "The Boys"), but it's still a mostly light-hearted exploration of Arthur and his relationship with the big blue guy.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I had prime I only enjoyed Sneaky Pete. Never watched Bosch, I may have missed out. Netflix has so many awesome originals that I don't think there is a comparison. Stranger Things alone I enjoyed more than anything I saw on prime.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Mozart in the Jungle is better than anything on Netflix. But I guess it kind of depends on what genre you're looking for.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Transparent is one of those shows that holds up to the hype. It's one of those family dramas where the characters are deeply empathetic and kind but also shitlords to one another and the show doesn't judge them for it. It's honest and real and brutal at times but that's why it's such a good show.

I also watched season 4 of Mozart in the Jungle thinking it was season 1 because of Amazon's stupid fucking UI. It was fantastic. For a show about the highest echelon of classical musicians, it's appropriately bougie, so it can be a bit grating at times. It's also one of those shows about a very specific occupation (professional musicians), that makes you want to do said occupation.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Mrs Maisel

giphy.gif

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
The Tick and Electric Dreams for me.

will check out the man in the high castle thanks to this thread.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Depends if you are mainstream or artsy. I'm definitely a mainstream guy, I don't like movies/TV that talk a lot - yeah, I know that makes me shallow but I don't really care. I watch entertainment ultimately to escape from the world for a few hours, not to feel sad, so shows that are too dramatic/sad aren't my thing.

Crown is fantastic as you said. Maisel is pretty good. Grand Tour is ok if you really love cars although it is sometimes way too navel gazing, at least first season (only watched half of that). I didn't enjoy at all Transparent, Mozart, Bosch, Man in the High Castle and stopped after 1-3 episodes. I aim to watch Electric Dreams but I don't think its Amazon Prime exclusive. I've heard Goliath and Patriot are pretty good but they seem like shows I've already seen before.

I think future shows are gonna be much more my jam

- Snow Crash
- Lord of the Rings
- Ringworld
- Expanse (books are fantastic too)
- Consider Phlebas (Culture novels by I.M. Banks)
- Lazarus

I don't think any Amazon Prime show is currently on the same tier as Stranger Things, Glow, Narcos, Altered Carbon, American Vandal, Lost in Space, Ozark, Series of Unfortunate Events, Chef's Table, Mindhunter, Kimmy Schmidt, MST3K, Jessica Jones, F is for Family, Big Mouth, etc.

Oh I think Crown is Netflix not Amazon too maybe I just read OP wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The first season of the man in the high castle, Patriot and Sneaky Pete are the only things I have seen and they were amazing.

Man in the High Castle season one is so fucking awful and one of the most boring things I've ever watch. And the younger main characters are so fucking bad and lifeless.

As for the rest, I'm not sure I really remember any shows from Amazon Prime that I really really liked. Maybe Goliath I guess, but that had really odd tonal shifts that brought it down for me.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
If you like the NFL, All or Nothing is spectacular. Makes Hard Knocks look like amateur hour.

The three seasons so far are Cardinals, Rams, and Cowboys.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The Man in the High Castle is my favourite show atm. Really can't wait for the new season.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
espite being a James Beard award winner, I cannot stomach watching Emerill trying to do a serious travel show. Dude is just too old and uncool.,

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transparent has some solid episodes, and at ~30 minutes per, it's fairly easy to get through.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Electric Dreams seems somewhat better than the most recent season of Black Mirror. Largely because the concepts are bigger in scope, and they've got an incredible cast.

Last I checked, we don't even have an OT for it for whatever reason.

I wish the Prime Video app wasn't so shitty though. I just spent an hour today trying to watch Electric Dreams in 4k HDR because the 4K versions of their content are separate from the standard versions, and they don't show up if you search for them. Ended up having to Google "Electric Dreams Ultra HD", clicked the Amazon link, and added it to my watchlist.

Incredible that they basically made a show with an episode about a company like them trying to take over the world, and they're not even capable of making a decent streaming app.

Electric Dreams had cool worlds but no interesting stories took place in them. Completely forgettable show

Ms Maisel is amazing. It's hilarious, well acted and well directed. It's a great show that I would recommend in a an heartbeat.

Is there any nudity in it past the first episode? I'm fine with shows that have nudity and fine with shows that don't. What I hate is shows that start only have nudity in the first few episodes as a blatant attempt to entice viewers.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
IMO, none of them are as good as the best Netflix shows. (although best of HBO still above Netflix)

That being said Bosch is pretty good for a cop show. (lots of The Wire alum)
I liked Transparent for awhile but ended up bailing at some point. All the characters were too unlikable for me.
I couldn't do Ms. Maisel, too theatrical for me. Sneaky Pete was just OK. Red Oaks had promise, but the acting was pretty weak, and the story petered out.
If we are counting Mr. Robot, first season was pretty good, lost me after then 2nd season. May go back eventually, certainly a beautiful show to watch. Enjoyed the mood/aesthetic more than the plot or the characters.

Those are the main ones I've tried. Of course these are just my thoughts, others seem to enjoy these more than me.

Alebrije

Oct 27, 2017
Mr. robot. and American gods are good

Recently watched Electric Dreams and has some decent chapter others are crap.

But being honest nothing compares to AAA productions on Netflix.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I haven't tried out too many of their shows but Bosch is easily my favorite out of the ones I've seen. Consistently great stories each season, fantastic acting, and good pay-off to some of the long-term arcs.

The Man in the High Castle is good - I know some people think it lost steam in the second season, which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with. However, some of the characters are so good (John Smith, Chief Inspector Kido) that I will continue watching. Looking forward to Season 3.

Lastly, Sneaky Pete. It's okay. I honestly ended up a bit disappointed in Season 1 after really liking the pilot. Still worth a watch though to see if it clicks with you. I haven't checked out Season 2, at this point.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Orginally they were just focused on trying to make smaller critically acclaimed shows. Those shows have different mileage, depending on how much you are interested in the specific story.

To be honest I couldn't get into most of those shows. The appeal factor of these shows isn't huge, but the quality is mixed.

But the two Amazon originals that I like are Goliath, which is extremely enjoyable and addictive, and Loudermilk, a smaller show, but very watchable and funny.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Decided to bump this thread because I just finished Fleabag Season 1 and I absolutely LOVED it. Easy recommendation. Only six episodes so it's very low-commitment. Can't believe it won't be back until 2019!

Just as good as any of my Netflix favorites, though admittedly I don't watch many romantic dramedies.

EDIT: Okay, it's technically a BBC production. Still worth it.

I might have to check out Mrs. Maisel because of this thread.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
These aren't Amazin originals, per say, but Amazon has distribution rights.
Wotakoi
Made in Abyss
Land of the Lustrous