• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What amount of anime do you like in your games?

• None

Votes: 198 26.6%
  • Light Dose

Votes: 106 14.3%
  • Half & Half

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Dangerously cheesy

Votes: 85 11.4%
  • Full anime

Votes: 256 34.5%

• Total voters

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to games that don't look like actual anime (cel-shaded or drawn like anime), what level of anime do you enjoy?

None at all? Games like Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, and Bioshock.

Do you like a light touch of anime such as in games like Resident Evil 2 and Dark Souls? I know that Dark Souls draws a lot from Berserk but the game presents itself in more nuanced and restrained way I feel. I haven't watched Berserk but it doesn't seem like it's coming across as full blown anime-ass anime (at least from the brief scans and videos I've seen).

Do you like a half and half amount? Metal Gear Solid 1, Dark Souls 3 or I think Nier: Automata falls into this category. They still try to come across as a bit more grounded and mature with their themes and show some restraint. If they do escalate into full anime at the end, it's more of a meta-commentary sort of way, playing it off as a subversion of the tropes.

Then you have Resident Evil 5 and Metal Gear Solid 2 which is about 75%.

And finally games that show no restraint and go full anime like Devil May Cry 3 or Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes:

Last edited:

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetically I tend to prefer anime-ish character art over realistic art... but as I also prefer to have respectful female character portrayals this usually means I'm SOL as far as games that fulfill both criteria.

Only one I can think of in recent memory is, oddly enough, Attack on Titan 2. Yeah. See for yourself:

kBmg0QQ.jpg
ExZgTtG.jpg

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go full anime, make me cringe at even the prospect of anyone seeing me with a copy of the game.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Just depends on the game. I'll play a Tales, Persona and a modern Fire Emblem game and those are "full anime," but you won't catch me playing Xenoblade 2, Neptunia, EO, etc.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how they deliver it. Something like Code Vein or Persona is fine but I wouldn't touch Gun Gal or Senran Kagura. Another thing is I don't play games that are already based on anime/manga proprieties ,especially if they tie it in with another property(Ex: Index Virtual-On). There are few exceptions however.

Last edited:

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm confused with the classification.
Why is Nier Automata a half half. Nier is pretty much anime.
There are lots of anime with mature theme and probably darker theme than Nier.

OP
OP
trimin

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused with the classification.
Why is Nier Automata a half half. Nier is pretty much anime.
There are lots of anime with mature theme and probably darker theme than Nier.

Haha, I guess I should classify full anime as more shounen style anime.

EDIT: But still the least anime anime I've seen are animes like Hikaru no Go and Death Note and those can really be anime in some parts (potato chip scene in Death Note and long expositions and monologues). Maybe I've just been watching the wrong stuff. That could be the case.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Half and half, I'd say. Depends on the game, of course. Anime is pretty fun when it hasn't completely lost its mind.

Feb 22, 2018
Aesthetically I tend to prefer anime-ish character art over realistic art... but as I also prefer to have respectful female character portrayals this usually means I'm SOL as far as games that fulfill both criteria.

Only one I can think of in recent memory is, oddly enough, Attack on Titan 2. Yeah. See for yourself:
I still haven't finished the second season (yeah, im a bad fan), but for the most part, AoT seems good about female representation. I know for some Mikasa might come close to waifu territory, and I like her myself, but the reason I like her is she just seems so bad ass when she's fighting titans.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Absolutely none.

The list of examples in the OP is almost a perfect scale starting with games I love, then games I'm lukewarm about through to games I dislike or actively despise.

Anime is poison. Almost invariably leads to shit storytelling, shit characters, shit character designs, extra shit dialogue and everything being smeared in a heavy layer of especially greasy "fanservice", frequently bordering on pedophile bait..

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure how to quantify this exactly, so im going to go full anime just because I seem to enjoy that aesthetic

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
xenoblade 2 goes beyond the amount of tropes that i'm able to handle so much that it wraps back around itself to a point that i legitimately enjoyed it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I mean this genuinely, I have a hard time imagining liking a game with zero anime. I need at least a little bit of that goofy dramatic flair to latch on to. If a game is just entirely realism art style and self-serious tone I lose interest instantly.

The least anime game I love would probably be New Vegas, but even that has the same light-hearted tone juxtaposed with absurdly dark content as a lot of anime even if it's not directly inspired by them.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just like my answer for other similar questions: it depends on the game.
I like The Last of Us, I also like Persona 5. I don't want TLoU to be like P5, or the other way around.

Haha, I guess I should classify full anime as more shounen style anime.

EDIT: But still the least anime anime I've seen are animes like Hikaru no Go and Death Note and those can really be anime in some parts (potato chip scene in Death Note and long expositions and monologues). Maybe I've just been watching the wrong stuff. That could be the case.
Death Note is about as anime as it can get what are you talking about?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As little as humanly possible, especially when it comes to modern-style anime. I'm so burned out on the tropes that modern anime has become addicted to...I just want them to go away for a few years and see what the industry makes when they don't have those cliches to rely on like a crutch.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The best thing about older JRPGs is that the old sprites or blocky 3D models were more open to interpretation. I could see my Dragon Warrior character as a tough warrior, rather than the 8-year-old kid that he was apparently supposed to be.

Give me more of this:
k22WNtk.jpg

Less of this:
10EJsCU.jpg

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I like them all! But I am good with any level of anime. If a game is good then it's good.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I honestly don't care as long as its not a particular series I love like SMT.
I love you SMT 4A but all that harem like shit was annoying

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love dumb anime bullshit EXCEPT for the obscene amount of gross shit that typcally accompanies it. Endings A and B of automata shoving 2B's white panties in your face with a really janky looking ripped skirt ruined the mood and just made me offput and skeeved

Yeah, Attack on Titan in general is as sexless as Resident Evil and its amazing. Is there ever a fanservice scene in the animes? I can't remember a single one.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Half and half is fine with me. If MGS 1 and Nier: A are half and half I want way more of that.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Tone that shit down son.
This sentiment along with this thread is confusing

What does that mean

How do you quantify an art style in that way. You kind of either like how it looks or it don't. And the amount of " anime " tends to vary from person to person, how is this even quantifiable. And what do you , even want to tone down

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't care as long as its not a particular series I love like SMT.
I love you SMT 4A but all that harem like shit was annoying
SMT4A is a prime example of "too anime" for me. It ruins the setting, the story and the character to a point that I just skipped all dialogue in game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about older JRPGs is that the old sprites or blocky 3D models were more open to interpretation. I could see my Dragon Warrior character as a tough warrior, rather than the 8-year-old kid that he was apparently supposed to be.

Give me more of this:
k22WNtk.jpg

Less of this:
10EJsCU.jpg

Man that western art is so much worse.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what this thread is really about honestly.

I'm an anime fan, but one from the 90s. So I didn't get into anime because of slice of life crap or moe/otaku bait cute girl crap like modern anime fans. I'm not into waifu stuff. I got into anime for the long form storytelling, the cool aesthetic. strong mechanic designs, creative and stylish cinematography, and mecha. I like anime like Gundam, Eva, Macross, Giant Robo, Bebop, GiTS Gurren Lagann, Redline, and so on. The types of anime games I've liked are Asura's Warth, Ace Combat(especially 3), Zone of the Enders, Persona, Metal Gear, Vanquish, and so on. Those games really share stylised visuals. Persona is very anime in it's asthetic, but it has a strong visual identity with it's motifs and use of color. It's not a boring idea factory game with super generic anime visuals. Zone of the Enders and Vanquish have strong mechanical design and fantastic hyper stylish cinematogrphy. Metal Gear has anime posing and the 90s/80s detail to mechanical design that I love. Even things like Ace Combat have that anime feeling in how scenes and action are staged.

So I like it when Japan makes things like that I guess.

I'm not into super bland anime though.

OP
OP
trimin

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Ok added a couple of Resident Evil games to the classifications. I'm not sure if Resident Evil 2 falls under light dose or half. Memory's a little hazy with that game. I don't remember it going overboard.