• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What amount of anime do you like in your games?

• None

Votes: 198 26.6%
  • Light Dose

Votes: 106 14.3%
  • Half & Half

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Dangerously cheesy

Votes: 85 11.4%
  • Full anime

Votes: 256 34.5%

• Total voters

NiceOne

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like anime... but it depends on the game and the artstyle. XB2 is a bit too much though (I don't know if it's the fanservice, silly character designs or both :p).. What does anime even mean these days? I feel it's like an awkward generalization. Maybe what people means is the artstyle of 2010s romcom/highschool/moe slice of life anime (even then they do like different from each other).

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that 'anime' is a blanket-term when we're talking about an entire medium is the most confusing thing ever to me. It's like saying what level of 'TV Show' do I like in my games. Like what does that imply?

I mean this holds true for almost all Japanese games in general. Of course they're influenced by a popular medium. Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Pokemon, Resident Evil, Zelda, you name it, they're all majorly influenced. Even something like Souls takes major influences from many different anime like Berserk.

Very rarely is there 'less' influence, it's just taken from different types of anime that don't fit this weird stereotype of the medium that people have in mind.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't like Ping Pong, The Tatami Galaxy, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Mushishi, Shirobako or Space Dandy?

It always bogs my mind when people only attribute fan-servise to anime when there has always been plenty of anime without it, and when other medias also have products full of fan-servise.

Well, fanservice is part of the problem, but it's not the only issue. There's weak storytelling, bad character designs, repetitive writing and tropes...the list just goes on and on. Most modern-day anime (we'll call "modern" from the mid-2000s to today, just so you have a frame of reference for I'm getting at) is just...critically flawed at some level.

Attack on Titan, for example - I made it 15 minutes into the first episode, and I just needed to stop because the show appears to just be idiot teenagers constantly screaming. Eureka Seven had basically no fanservice that I can remember but it was just so insufferably goddamn preachy it made me want to grind my ears off with a cheese grater.

I still like stuff like Trigun, Lupin III and Bebop...but past that, it's slim pickings nowadays.

I don't think that's quite what Taro was going for with that design, although with the stockings I can see where you're coming from. I think the reason A2's design is so battered and deteriorating so much is just to plausibly hide the reveal that she's a precursor model to 2B. The moment where she cuts her hair and starts to look more and more like 2B would be a lot less powerful if the truth hadn't been hiding beneath our noses under a thin layer of dirt and battle damage the whole time.

I'm gonna be real....

I called the precursor model thing almost immediately after seeing her design for the first time before the game even came out. There are plenty of ways they could've done it without relying on weird rape iconography like the shredded stockings. I would've had her body be structurally damaged and missing parts or maybe scrapped together/self-repaired with cannibalized pieces from other androids to throw people off the scent. Maybe she'd be wearing more covering clothes like a flowing but damaged heavy robe, though that might be a bit too on the nose. Instead she just looks...like she's too stupid to steal, buy or make new clothes after her old outfit got damaged.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime is a word used for ALL animation in Japan and commonly used to refer to JAPANESE ANIMATION in specific in the rest of the world. This covers many different genres, demographics and shows and doesn't work as a word to define a subset of tropes - as there aren't tropes that fit EVERY genre of japanese animation.

So no, a game can't be "anime". It's even more dumb to say this to japanese games.

You don't like Ping Pong, The Tatami Galaxy, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Mushishi, Shirobako or Space Dandy?

It always bogs my mind when people only attribute fan-servise to anime when there has always been plenty of anime without it, and when other medias also have products full of fan-servise.
Always sounds ridiculous to me. Most of the people saying this don't even watch any anime or try a few ones and say "ok, that's the whole industry".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
More Dark Souls and Valkyrie Profile, less Senran Kagura and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

God, Valkyrie Profile's art style was so good. Too good for this world, really. It pains me that Star Ocean somehow got a new installment after that abomination of a fourth game, but Valkyrie Profile languishes in the abyss.

Oct 27, 2017
For me the determining factor is the "type" of anime in a game. Outlandish weapons, over the top combos, general anime "design aesthetic" are cool by me. Melodramatic monologues, overly cutesy childish characters, rote good must triumph over the ultimate evil plot lines are borderline. Incomprehensible plots, hyper sexualized character design (especially those that are minors), and overt waifu bait tends to be a turn off. All that said, I played and enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening which has at least two of those qualities, so who knows?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can you pinpoint what anime inspired Tactics Ogre? The characters have realistic sized eyes and realistic sized nose. To me that's the biggest diversion from anime.
I couldn't remember anything right now, but what I'm saying is that anime is not a single entity. There are various artstyle even in anime industry.

anime_art_styles1.jpg

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The non-existent kind.

No, but really, I prefer moderate amounts for most. Like Gravity Rush is the perfect balance. But I will go dangerously cheesy if it's funny or interesting enough -- see: Metal Gear Rising.

Full anime, though? Never go full anime.

Nope, still lying. If games like Fire Emblem, DMC or MGR are considered full anime, then I guess that's where I am.

Damn it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Can you pinpoint what anime inspired Tactics Ogre? The characters have realistic sized eyes and realistic sized nose. To me that's the biggest diversion from anime.
It reminds me of Akira more than anything:

Don't quote me on this but I also vaguely remember an interview where Yoshida talked about being influenced by Otomo, which definitely shows up in some works more than others.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
God of War 2018 is an anime.

That first fight with the stranger plays out almost exactly like a shonen anime....hell after Kratos hammers him he says what every "im too cool for school" anime character says and sends Kratos several feet away with a single blow.
Even the strangers fast/slow movements are anime-esc.

Because of the graphical fidelity in God of War...it is now the best CGI anime movie ive ever seen.

2fjBr5n.gif

Non anime fans who love God of War 2018 sorry.
no sarcasm...im dead serious.

Last edited:

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

That first fight with the stranger plays out almost exactly like a shonen anime....hell after Kratos hammers him he says what every "im too cool for school" anime character says and sends Kratos several feet away with a single blow.

Because of the graphical fidelity in God of War...it is now the best CGI anime movie ive ever seen.

The art design is too boring to be an anime. It can be a western saturday morning cartoon at best.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, fanservice is part of the problem, but it's not the only issue. There's weak storytelling, bad character designs, repetitive writing and tropes...the list just goes on and on. Most modern-day anime (we'll call "modern" from the mid-2000s to today, just so you have a frame of reference for I'm getting at) is just...critically flawed at some level.

Attack on Titan, for example - I made it 15 minutes into the first episode, and I just needed to stop because the show appears to just be idiot teenagers constantly screaming. Eureka Seven had basically no fanservice that I can remember but it was just so insufferably goddamn preachy it made me want to grind my ears off with a cheese grater.

I still like stuff like Trigun, Lupin III and Bebop...but past that, it's slim pickings nowadays.

At any time in any media, 90% of the works have weak storytelling, bad character designs, repetitive writing and tropes (of its time). That's why they are forgotten, and only the best are remembered. How many anime from the "classic" era can you name? 30? Maybe 50? They made hundreds if not thousands of them! Of course you never got to watch most of them because they are bad and nobody bothered to bring them over. Today everything in Japan is immediately available to you, of course you'd spend more time finding the good ones.

Like I feel like cinema has never been worse with endless superhero bullshit occupying ever piece of screen. But that's just because I never got to watch all the tropey 40s Hollywood films, or the trash 80s Sci-Fi. I only watched the cream of the crops from that time.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

2fjBr5n.gif

although I found Dad of War combat more "lacking" than in the previous entries, I can not argue that the transitions scenes in combat, specially Baldur 1st and 3rd do felt incredible shonen like in execution, choreography, and over the top on many cases

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I played Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

and liked it.

Something like a Neptunia or Senran Kagura game would probably be too much for me though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Are people praising the art design? I don't have any opinion on the gameplay or story either way (haven't played it) but I can't imagine someone looking at Kratos and thinking "that's a well designed character."

I think anime always has a little more visual flair than that. Kratos looks like he went to the Assassin's Creed school of dressing himself and the 7th-gen-action-adventure-protagonist barber.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the gameplay is fun and worth it, I'm willing to stomach anime.

Otherwsie, anime gtfo.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Going from your list, I like anything from 0% up to 10000%.

We need a new scale and define what game might be full anime.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
To answer the question, on a scale of 1-10... if given the choice between that upcoming "Anime Souls" or Dark Souls, I'd probably pick the former.
Maybe.
Of all the shows to stop watching early, that's definitely one where I would recommend you not do that.

I'm not going to say how great it gets or whatever a fan would say... just that the first episode is only the tip, try holding out until post military training.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haha, I guess I should classify full anime as more shounen style anime.

EDIT: But still the least anime anime I've seen are animes like Hikaru no Go and Death Note and those can really be anime in some parts (potato chip scene in Death Note and long expositions and monologues). Maybe I've just been watching the wrong stuff. That could be the case.

Death Note and Hikaru no Go are not really dark though. DN is comparatively darker for shounen but is pretty much mostly a shounen manga/anime.
If you are looking for good dark anime, I can't recommend Monster enough. Naoki Urasawa is one of the best manga writer ever. He also wrote 20th Century Boys, which is very popular and was adapted to 3 parts live action adaptation, but I found Monster is just better written.
Otherwise I also like Elfen Lied for older manga/anime and Tokyo Ghoul for recent one.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's even more confusing when somehow manga is part of anime too. Like, sure many manga are adapted into anime, but many plays are adapted into films too. Do we lump plays and films together also? Manga and anime are different media, and they are consumed in different ways. If we are talking about anime, just keep it in anime. "This game is inspired by this manga, and this manga has an anime adaption" doesn't make the game influenced by an anime, it's influenced by a manga, that's it.

If we put manga, anime, light novel and all that sort of things together, that's just Japanese pop culture. And of course Japanese games are inspired by Japanese pop culture, no shit.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
as a young teen in high school, i rented persona 2 because it had anime in it. it was the best decision i ever made.
the anime bullshit is often my favorite parts of a game. especially when the endings go full anime. I love that shit. power of friendship and all. if every game just ended with a slightly modified version of the ending of gurren lagaan i would be a happy man.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
How about a fresh cup of "I don't care"?

As long as the game is good, I can handle "unadulterated anime". And if it's not, well, it's just a bad game which had "anime design", whatever that means.

Edit: Also, said differently, this:
I couldn't remember anything right now, but what I'm saying is that anime is not a single entity. There are various artstyle even in anime industry.

anime_art_styles1.jpg

Last edited:

JP Cubish

Nov 6, 2017
The best thing about older JRPGs is that the old sprites or blocky 3D models were more open to interpretation. I could see my Dragon Warrior character as a tough warrior, rather than the 8-year-old kid that he was apparently supposed to be.

Give me more of this:
k22WNtk.jpg

Less of this:
10EJsCU.jpg

Yup, I would love to see a modern RPG with an 80s western sword and sorcery art style.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A lot of people seem to use "anime" as a blanket term when it really just doesn't work that way.

I like more goofy, silly, lighthearted, weird stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, God Hand, Metal Gear: Rising, NieR that's more self-aware, but still takes itself seriously, but then there's stuff like Persona 3/4/5 that seem to take all the typical anime/JRPG tropes/cliches and try to play them straight or seriously. THAT'S the kind of stuff I don't really care for and try to avoid.

I still do my research into games before I buy them though. I'm not going to immediately write it off if it looks too "anime".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the shows to stop watching early, that's definitely one where I would recommend you not do that.

I'm not going to say how great it gets or whatever a fan would say... just that the first episode is only the tip, try holding out until post military training.

I've looked at later stuff even after bailing because my friends still like the show. Unfortunately, the protagonist seems to be a thoroughly unlikeable brat through and through, and I'm never going to be able to watch a show where I can't at least slightly care about the main character. Especially with all the screaming.

Even The Magicians, the closest thing to a show with an unlikeable protagonist that I currently watch, at least frames Quentin's shittiness in a way where it makes it clear that he's not meant to be an aspirational character and he's also very clearly not a hero.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
This sentiment along with this thread is confusing

What does that mean

How do you quantify an art style in that way. You kind of either like how it looks or it don't. And the amount of " anime " tends to vary from person to person, how is this even quantifiable. And what do you , even want to tone down
Negro don't even trying to front with that prim and proper shit. You know what we talking about. That ugu obnoxiously moe type shit. That kawaii desu, half baked, fakku echii, cookie cutter, pantsu type shit.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I like anime... but it depends on the game and the artstyle. XB2 is a bit too much though (I don't know if it's the fanservice, silly character designs or both :p).. What does anime even mean these days? I feel it's like an awkward generalization. Maybe what people means is the artstyle of 2010s romcom/highschool/moe slice of life anime (even then they do like different from each other).

When people use the term 'anime', I feel like they refers to Shonen anime/manga, mainly to things like power of friendship, hotheaded teen protagonist, fanservice (sexualization?), etc.

Like you said, it's awkward generalization as just like other media, anime is very diverse.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I voted "None" before reading and was extra justified when a bunch of games I hate were referred to as having at least some "anime". No crappy Japanese animation for me, thanks.

I remember being so disappointed watching Pokémon for the first time after playing the first gen of games.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To answer the question, on a scale of 1-10... if given the choice between that upcoming "Anime Souls" or Dark Souls, I'd probably pick the former.
Maybe.

I find AoT to be extremely overrated by its fans.
It's not really a bad anime, but the character development can be very uneven and this results in some characterization to be very 1 dimensional on top of being quite ridiculous.
I'm saying this as someone who has read all the manga, so I don't think there's anything more to uncover.
If someone hates screaming teenager, AoT isn't going to exactly prove the person wrong.
It's very much a shounen series still and imo a good one at that.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I'm okay with anime but remove cheesiness way down.
Depends on the type of cheesiness. The power of friendship can go.
I've looked at later stuff even after bailing because my friends still like the show. Unfortunately, the protagonist seems to be a thoroughly unlikeable brat through and through, and I'm never going to be able to watch a show where I can't at least slightly care about the main character. Especially with all the screaming.

Even The Magicians, the closest thing to a show with an unlikeable protagonist that I currently watch, at least frames Quentin's shittiness in a way where it makes it clear that he's not meant to be an aspirational character and he's also very clearly not a hero.
I'll give you that. He gets better, but definitely not likable while on that serious revenge kick.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're skipping around too much, because the series makes it extremely clear (especially later on) that the protagonist has major issues and has a lot of room to grow.

Eren is also not an aspirational character and oh-h-h-h-h my god he is so far from being a "hero", especially at the point the manga is at. I think you're missing out.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's even more confusing when somehow manga is part of anime too. Like, sure many manga are adapted into anime, but many plays are adapted into films too. Do we lump plays and films together also? Manga and anime are different media, and they are consumed in different ways. If we are talking about anime, just keep it in anime. "This game is inspired by this manga, and this manga has an anime adaption" doesn't make the game influenced by an anime, it's influenced by a manga, that's it.

If we put manga, anime, light novel and all that sort of things together, that's just Japanese pop culture. And of course Japanese games are inspired by Japanese pop culture, no shit.
Yes, I think it's basically this. When people talk about anime in video games, they talk about Japanese pop culture. Not only the artstyle, but also everything surrounding it like the cliches, character archetypes, and fetishes pandering. Which lead to the original discussion, 2B design is heavily influenced by Zettai Ryouiki fetish.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
As far as 90s and early 00s anime, I'll take as much as the devs want to include. But my tolerance for 10s otaku bait is lower than ever.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Negro don't even trying to front with that prim and proper shit. You know what we talking about. That ugu obnoxiously moe type shit. That kawaii desu, half baked, fakku echii, cookie cutter, pantsu type shit.

Ok? So just say you don't like moe shit.

I hate Family Guy and comedies similar to it doesn't mean I say "no more cartoons."

This is all anime.
tenor.gif

latest

tumblr_nc4p15Jfmm1rtgwjbo1_500.gif

RapidHoarseHackee-max-1mb.gif

It's way more diverse then people give it credit for. If you don't like a certain style. Fine your allowed to. But don't make such wide sweeping statements if your only talking about one element of it.