• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What amount of anime do you like in your games?

• None

Votes: 198 26.6%
  • Light Dose

Votes: 106 14.3%
  • Half & Half

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Dangerously cheesy

Votes: 85 11.4%
  • Full anime

Votes: 256 34.5%

• Total voters

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I love full anime games like Persona and Danganronpa. But OP isn't about that. So what percentage is Yakuza for example?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I guess I'm a little confused about the examples in the OP but in terms aesthetic art styles I'd say none at all. I know Dark Souls draws inspiration from Berserk but it doesn't look or seem much like an anime at all.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza falls under japanese camp rather than anime camp.

You're saying Yakuza doesn't lean all the way in with anime style at times?

8F8AaFZ.gif

Last edited:

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I only like anime when human characters look human. Like LOTGH or Macross Plus

If it's that chibi, moe, or those massive eyes type of shit or whatever the terms are that makes human adults and kids look like various aliens or adults that look like kids sort of anime then none at all.

Less of this shit:

SgBF8vb.jpg

YoaDKTf.jpg

And more of this:

CznijER.jpg

7afh7rK.jpg

Last edited:

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
It's like saying "games are poison", "books are poison", "music are poison". You judge the whole media only by stuff that you personally saw. That's not fair.
I watched a bunch of anime. They were 99% shit and even the non-shit stuff was iffy. I played a bunch of games that were heavily influenced by anime. They were literally all shit (or at least I can't remember a single good one).

Thus I conclude that the category of anime is shit. No, it is not, strictly speaking, fair. Rather, it is practical. The shittiness factor in anime is so high that it isn't worth digging through the mountain of garbage to find the stuff that's kinda/sorta/maybe worth watching.

If 99% of the books I read were shit I'd say the same thing about books. Fortunately that is not the case because books are nothing like anime.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the implication that anime is a genre or some kind of wacky magical ingredient that can be measured in percentages. Anime is a medium, just like live action TV. Would you ask how much live action TV do you like in your games, like it implies a certain style of comedy or action? Of course not. Live action TV can be anything from The Walking Dead to Saturday Night Live. Anime can be anything from Dragon Ball Z to Mushishi.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
I only like anime when human characters look human. Like LOTGH or Macross Plus

If it's that chibi, moe, or those massive eyes type of shit or whatever the terms are that makes human adults and kids look like various aliens or adults that look like kids sort of anime then none at all.

Less of this shit:

SgBF8vb.jpg

YoaDKTf.jpg

And more of this:

CznijER.jpg

7afh7rK.jpg
Completely agree. As for the amount of anime...it completely depends on the games? It's impossible to say anything in general about it.

Dec 18, 2017
What's the difference between saying that Anime is trash and saying Jpop is trash. What the difference between saying that Jpop is trash and Kpop is trash? What's the difference between calling Kpop trash and Hip-Hop trash?

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Haha yeah I hate Japan.

I watched a bunch of anime. They were 99% shit and even the non-shit stuff was iffy. I played a bunch of games that were heavily influenced by anime. They were literally all shit (or at least I can't remember a single good one).

Thus I conclude that the category of anime is shit. No, it is not, strictly speaking, fair. Rather, it is practical. The shittiness factor in anime is so high that it isn't worth digging through the mountain of garbage to find the stuff that's kinda/sorta/maybe worth watching.

If 99% of the books I read were shit I'd say the same thing about books. Fortunately that is not the case because books are nothing like anime.

Everything is 99% shit. Everything. Sturegeon's Law.

There's the good and the bad, and since good is harder to make than bad, there's always going to be more bad.

What are these 100% shit anime and anime-styled games you've watched and played?

If you seriously think only one medium in the entirety of media is "shit", you might not be the connoisseur you think you are.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as the developer wants.

I can enjoy full on anime games and i can enjoy games with no-anime stuff at all.

Don't understand the anime hate and the extremely overuse of the word "cringe" here on resetera. In this regard this wonderful site is as bad as other places and not as enlightened and open minded as usually.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
The question doesn't make much sense for me, it's not like most of what seems to make a game anime didn't somewhat exist in non japanese games/media, maybe not in the same manner as far as the "full anime" answer goes but still.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I want no anime at all for large stretches of the game, and then 200% anime in short bursts.

Anime should be treated like limited resource. When you go full anime all the time forever you end up with Onii-chans and 1000 year old dragon kids in bikinis, but if you save it for when it truly matters you get the Stranger fight in God of War or Yakuza's deep emotional plot lines culminating in glowing shirtless energy battles.

Make me forget Anime exists before you beat me over the head with it.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget how few anime i watched, so i tend only watch what i like. And dont see all those horrible titles.

So for me "anime" is Satoshi Kon's creations (for example), while for someone else anime is %insert random mainstream title%

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Either go full anime nonsense or don't have any anime influence at all, there is no middle ground

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Consider this though: you're apparently just bad at picking out the good stuff.

Because Nocturne isn't shit. Devil May Cry 3 isn't shit. Dark Souls isn't shit. Katamari Damaci, Metal Gear Solid 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Mother 3, Nier: Automata, Breath of the Wild, Zone of the Enders 2, Godhand, Killer 7, Xenonlade, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Bayonetta, Okami, Ace Attorney, Yakuza 2, and The Wonderful 101 definitely aren't all shit.

A few hot takes from the above list are fine, but if you're genuinely saying all of those games are bad then I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you're either confused on what constitutes anime or need to branch out more.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
There are some elements of anime culture or stereotypes that I enjoy and many that I don't. It isn't really any amount but rather how it handles itself. I can put up with some stuff but if it is too frequent I get turned off entirely.

Some stuff I enjoy might be the over the top combat/attacks or overly passionate fight scenes. Actually one of my favourites is probably characters eating foods >_>
a05mZ0u.gif

Aesthetically I tend to prefer anime-ish character art over realistic art... but as I also prefer to have respectful female character portrayals this usually means I'm SOL as far as games that fulfill both criteria.

Only one I can think of in recent memory is, oddly enough, Attack on Titan 2. Yeah. See for yourself:

I agree with this as well. Battle Chef Brigade is pretty good in this regard.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
100%. I like animation in my games.

If it was all static it would be pretty boring.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what type of anime we're speaking of; Is it DMC 3 and Tekken 7 Hwoarang type of anime? Or Peach Beach Splash sort of crap?

Because if it's the former - Crank that shit up to 11!

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's anime, and then there's gross otaku garbage which is the bane of Japanese media. Might be a little funny coming from someone with a Danganronpa avatar, but…

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Consider this though: you're apparently just bad at picking out the good stuff.

Because Nocturne isn't shit. Devil May Cry 3 isn't shit. Dark Souls isn't shit. Katamari Damaci, Metal Gear Solid 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Mother 3, Nier: Automata, Breath of the Wild, Zone of the Enders 2, Godhand, Killer 7, Xenonlade, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Bayonetta, Okami, Ace Attorney, Yakuza 2, and The Wonderful 101 definitely aren't all shit.

A few hot takes from the above list are fine, but if you're genuinely saying all of those games are bad then I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you're either confused on what constitutes anime or need to branch out more.
Well, let's see. You listed twenty games. Of them I have played seven, five of which I considered to be bad. In another 3 instances I haven't played the game you listed but have played another game or games in the same series, all of which I considered bad.

The two exceptions were Dark Souls which I'm lukewarm toward and don't consider particularly anime-ish, and Katamari Damci which was actually delightful, so that one is in the 1% I suppose.

If you seriously think only one medium in the entirety of media is "shit", you might not be the connoisseur you think you are.
Well, good thing I don't consider myself a connoisseur and never said only one category of media is shit. I have no doubt that there are plenty of other media categories out there that are also 99% shit. Reality TV anybody?

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Well, good thing I don't consider myself a connoisseur and never said only one category of media is shit. I have no doubt that there are plenty of other media categories out there that are also 99% shit. Reality TV anybody?

You are acting like it's unique to anime that 90% is shit.

Books are exactly like anime in that they have as much shit as anything else ever. Writing a book doesn't suddenly make you a good writer, and being japanese doesn't make you a bad one either.

Reality TV is a genre. It's part of television. 90% of TV isn't reality TV, just like how 90% of anime isn't Dragon Ball Z.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like you're equating everything that's cheesy/over-the-top as anime. That's a little silly if you ask me.

But ok I'll humor you. I like a range of entertainment. I'm fine with things that are completely serious in tone like Gone Home, but I also love completely over-the-top zany stuff like Katamari Damacy. Why limit yourself?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime with universal appeal like Valkyria Chronicles or Fighter Z. I don't like anything resembles those Tales of games or the new Shining series.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Well, let's see. You listed twenty games. Of them I have played seven, five of which I considered to be bad. In another 3 instances I haven't played the game you listed but have played another game or games in the same series, all of which I considered bad.

The two exceptions were Dark Souls which I'm lukewarm toward and don't consider particularly anime-ish, and Katamari Damci which was actually delightful, so that one is in the 1% I suppose.
That's totally bizarre to me, it's like meeting an alien. If you don't mind, I'm curious which 5 games you didn't like. Not to argue obviously, If you didn't like them then fair enough, I just can't picture it since nearly all of those games are some of my favorites of all time.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I can tolerate some if the MGS series is one of the bars. I even played through Persona 4 Golden and P5. That's about my limit, though.