• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zerojul

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Street Fighter II. I could buy an arcade cabinet with all the money I dumped in that game, more so if I count all the updates/versions until ST.

Bud_Brigman

Nov 17, 2017
A mix between Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and the original Donkey Kong.

My friends and I ran the OG Gauntlet machine one night, as well.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By quarters, do American people mean 25 cents?

In the UK arcades were £1. I blew £20 on House of the Dead, I could have bought a couple of books for that price. Imagine if you had to pay $1 per life.

EDIT: Oh right, the most I spent was on Kankore Arcade in Akihabara. I spent over 20,000 Japanese yen easily so I definitely went beyond £/$200. The cool thing about this though is you actually get physically rewarded with collectible cards that store ship data on the card. So you can go play the same game in a different location and the cards have your progress saved.

594967.jpg

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Can't remember which one specifically, but it'd either be a beat-em-up like Knights of the Round, a light gun shooter, probably between Area 51, Revolution X, or T2 (due to being locally available in a rental store) or fighting games, namely MKII, Third Strike or Primal Rage.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Soul Calibur 2 and 3, Spent time almost every week during college days.

Fionel

Jan 11, 2018
Golden Axe
Street fighter 2
Final Fight
Dungeon and Dragons Shadow over Mystara
Virtua Cop 2

Goddamn I'm old

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Indiana Jones:

indytemp_screenshot.png

Ghosts n goblins:

gngarcade.png

Rainbow Islands:

hqdefault.jpg

Plus Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Bad Dudes, Final Fight, Bubble bobble, Crystal Castles, Pole Position, Super Hang On, Shadow Warriors..... too many...way too many.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
If we are talking quarters, something like TMNT or the Simpsons. Those would eat a roll of quarters like it was nothing once you got to the final level or two.

Total gameplay time? Street Fighter Alpha 2. I could play a long time on one credit though.
I probably played SF2 for the most amount of time total than any other single game just because it was everywhere, there were so many versions of it, and it was so popular that everyone played it, but I do remember how beat em ups like TMNT, Simpsons, and X-Men would take like $0.50-$1 at a time and you could do through all your lives in a matter of a minute. Those games weren't especially long, but there was something about playing with other people, especially the 6 person X-men cabinet, that made it a fun experience and something where you almost didn't want to die or run out of money just so you wouldn't let down the team when everyone was having a good run.

Arcades were really something special during their peak. Anyone born after the 90's really missed on on an element that doesn't exist today. I still remember the first time seeing a Fatality in Mortal Kombat or a Ultra Combo in Killer Instinct or watching a crowd gather around someone playing to the end of Dragon's Lair. Even playing strangers and sharing tips was a cool moment where as a kid, teenagers would tell me stuff or I'd do the same for other kids when I got older. Just a better atmosphere around old arcades than online gaming these days.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Riders in one of amusement parks we visited yearly when I was a child. I always looked forward to it, since we didn't have any arcade machines in a town where I lived.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Put a good chunk of money into the Time Crisis games. They were my jam back in the day.

Also put a lot of money into the two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games, an obscure beat em up called Gate of Doom, and a lot of Rampage.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
BAD DUDES

Parents owned a club in the 80s/90s and regularly rotated new cabinets in and out, but I poured my allowance into that one.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 because FUCK YOU JADE NO ONE LIKES YOU, YOU CHEAP ASS MOTHERFUCKER

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I can't imagine how much I spent on Rush 2049. Letting you store progress and unlock stuff was downright devious.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't remember which was the most, but I'll list ones I remember I played a lot:

Daytona
Street Fighter ll
Rygar
WWF (can't remember proper name but it had Ultimate Warrior who I always picked)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
A Volleyball game
Many football/soccer games
1943 or 42 can't remember which.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
If you mean money value it must have been Ocean Hunter in the UK. Arcades became more expensive, plus the GBP was much stronger than the Euro.

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
Area 51, Time Crisis, Simpsons, and probably After Burner games.

Look at these things. Sure it costs $1 at the time, and I grew up broke, but I always made time to play it at least once when I got to go to the arcade. The whole thing would shake,. move, and rumble with your movements and it used both the joystick and throttle.

My 5 year old self was blown away by this thing.

If+youve+ever+played+an+after+burner+arcade+machine+you+_e22f7e0fa19acad3429a3dfa09121c28.jpg

afterburner2-singlecradle.jpg

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
My favorite pizza place had a Cruisin' World machine and I was always drawn to playing it, just listen to that attract music!

YOU'VE GOT THE SPEED, YOU'VE GOT THE POWER, TO CRUISE THE WORLD!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Pang. I really loved that game. Was never big on Arcades but Pang and Daytona always had my money when available.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. When I was little, me cousin and I would visit this tiny little store nearby that housed two arcade machines. One was Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and the other was a bunch of other games including Contra. We would sometimes spend hours at the C&D machine because practically nobody else in the neighbourhood cared to play and the owner of the store charged very little for it.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I love it. Get to play more too. Rasta was great.

Yeah that was definitely a factor. There was a time when I could beat strider every time on one quarter (sure lots of people could do this) and I once beat rastan on a single quarter (pretty tough, love that music so much!). But never Magician Lord because that game is a Bitch!

That's as close to mastering games as I've ever done, and beating r-type, lol.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
That's a tough one, it is undoubtedly a fighting game though. It is probably Soul Calibur or Tekken 3. Otherwise Samurai Shodown, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 are pretty high on the list. I think Turtles in Time is probably the non-fighting game I played the most.