• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So from my experience playing Mario Tennis Aces this past weekend, I've realized, for better or for worse (depending on who you talk to), it's a more complex tennis, mechanically, than the normal game is, which is pretty unusual for an arcade title.

Most people understand the distinction between sims vs arcades when it comes to sports titles, with the former adhering strictly to the rules and empowering you to have more control over your actions within the ruleset, while the latter largely provides a simpler albeit exaggerated take with changes made to be "flashier" or crazier.

Aces seems to do both and adds a layer of complexity on top of the existing tennis ruleset with its energy mechanics. Sure it isn't a straight sim (you don't have to worry about keeping the ball in bounds, for instance), but it definitely doesn't seem to be missing anything major as you have the different types of swings, which all behave as expected as well as the typical court effects on ball speed/spin. Maybe accounting for wind?

Anyway, are there other arcade sports titles that do the same? The popular ones that I've played like Blitz or NBA Jam seem to do their own thing when it comes to their respective sports

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody's Golf most definitely. It's a perfect blend of rather realistic physics and some crazier shots.
They can't be popular if they're almost extinct unfortunately. :(

Oct 28, 2017
No one else? ;_;
I guess arcade sports games aren't really popular anymore

I think those games could still be popular but no one is filling the gap. The AAA developers have all moved their major sports franchises into being simulation style to keep a dedicated fanbase of each franchise happy.

Personally I think this is the biggest gap that indies are missing. Too many indies want to copy 2D pixel platformers when the real money would be to make an unbranded indie version of a Genesis Madden or NHL game.