• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
One of the great things about Luke's character in ANH is that we know exactly what motivates him. He wants to be a pilot. He believes in the struggle of the Rebellion against the Empire, and more crucially, he is a dreamer. He has a calling. He doesn't know what exactly calls him but he knows his destiny is not to remain on Tattooine. He knows something bigger awaits him out beyond the horizon. After he's saved by Obi-Wan and learns more about his Jedi father, we can see immediately on Luke's face how intrigued he is by this revelation. He initially rejects the call to adventure, but ultimately accepts to leave the farm after finding his foster parents murdered. When Luke returns to Obi-Wan he tells him with utter conviction how much he wants to learn about the Force and become a Jedi, like his father. His motivation is clear and understandable. He has very well-defined motivation.

But what about Rey? What does she want? What are her hopes and dreams? We know from an emotional/psychological point of view that she seeks belonging, and is hopeful that one day she will be reunited with her family. We know she doesn't want to die of old age like the woman scavenger sitting opposite her as they both clean their wares. We know she has a Rebellion pilot's helmet and seems to enjoy putting it on after a hard day's work, but what are her desires? Does she believe in the cause of the Resistance against the First Order? As Maz Kanata tells her about the conflict at the castle she doesn't even know what the fight is. Does she even want to be a Jedi? Why does she want to be a Jedi? I think for episode 9 to really deliver for me, it has to go all in on making Rey the central character of the movie. Episode 9 needs to be HER movie. I like her character, I like the choice in TLJ to make her a "nobody" but I don't think her character has been properly fleshed out. I hope 9 tells us more about her. What you think?

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think she was pretty clear that she just wants to know her place in all this.

I mean, that's what she answered when asked what she wanted, right?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah so far I've read it as Rey wants to know where she fits into this and is trying to find her true purpose through her training and her travels. I imagine she would rather be a Jedi based on everything we've seen about her.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017

She says that in the sequel. I'm saying that her character motivation should be well established by then. When Luke leaves to find Yoda he does it because he wants to train to become a Jedi Knight. His motivation to seek him out is clear.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
By the end of TLJ she rejects Kylo's offer and is pretty hard on the side of the Resistance, cheering as she blows up tie-fighters.

Ultimatly she wants to become a Jedi, though what sort of Jedi is what I imagine the plot of the next film is gonna largely be about (or should be about at least).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
She wants to be a "true Jedi" and help build "a new rebellion" but now not depending on Luke or her parents, as said.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
She wanted to get off of her shithole planet like Luke wanted to get off of his shithole planet. Luke had a much more tangible motivation because he had an actual mentor that was a master of the force that literally knew his father. Rey didn't have the same mentorship from the get-go and was startled by the force itself because she really didn't have anyone explain it to her. She's just trying to discover who she is and why she is so adept at using the force. Luke thought he knew his family lineage per his uncle and Obi-Wan-- he just wanted to master the force after his encounter with Vader.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

That's not really a good motivation though. If you want to be cynical her answer could be summed as as follows:

"Why are you fighting for the Rebellion?"
"I don't know, you tell me." -- Rey

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
crappy director's tossing all of the previous director's work into the trash rendered Rey into an even emptier vessel in TLJ.

At the end of the movie, you go ????????????

but whatever, she is Super Sayin lifting tons of rocks . what does she care?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
100% Agreed.

This is part of why I never liked her character in TFA and couldn't relate to her and why I so heavily gravitated towards Finn. TLJ finally made her interesting to me, but we've still got a ways to go. As great as TLJ was at improving her character, she still got overshadowed by Luke, meanwhile Finn was murdered. I'm still not exactly sure what drives her, she's also a little "too good." Why isn't she tempted, even a little, by the Dark Side? Why did she immediately reject Kylo's offer? I would think his promises would resonate more strongly with her since she grew up without a family and an instruction in good morals, unlike Luke.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
crappy director's tossing all of the previous director's work into the trash rendered Rey into an even emptier vessel in TLJ.

Jesus what is this shit. Rey's motivation changes in TLJ because her vain belief that her parents are coming back for her (a fairly ridiculous thing for her to have not gotten over in TFA, frankly) is finally put to rest and she is free to want something for herself, which turns out to be becoming a Jedi so she can best help her friends in the Resistance. Just like Luke's motivation in Empire shifts from "become a Jedi like my father" to "protect my friends, even if it means interrupting or even sacrificing my training in the process."

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like saying Luke's motivation is well defined is kinda ... untrue? Like I forgot he even wanted to be a pilot amidst everything else that happens. That's not even a big motivation as it evolves as the series goes forward. And even when Luke gets to be a pilot he doesn't seem too jazzed about it. He slots in with the rest of the Rebels pretty naturally.

He kinda reacts to things as they happen right up to the pivotal point in Empire where he makes his own choice rather than choices he was nudged toward. Like, I feel like many of the examples listed are momentary well acted reactions that aren't missing from Rey's character either.

I mean, that's fine and all but I dunno if you could say that he was motivated to go on the adventure because his foster parents died. More like driven into a corner by circumstance.

ggundam8

Banned
Mar 12, 2018
Japan
Her motivation are nebulous. This should have been well established in the first movie but now we are hoping for the last movie to put all the puzzle pieces together. What a mess. This new trilogy won't be looked back on fondly once the hype glasses come off.

Oct 25, 2017
STAR WARS - EPISODE 9: THE STARSIEST OF WARS
Maybe the real family is the friends we made along the way.
You know Rey, we really are the star wars.

The End.

This will be the plot of the next movie.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Her motivation are nebulous. This should have been well established in the first movie but now we are hoping for the last movie to put all the puzzle pieces together. What a mess. This new trilogy won't be looked back on fondly once the hype glasses come off.

I think the reason this happened is because the writers had a hard time making her Not Luke so they made her motivation messy and poorly defined.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do you people genuinely not pay attention while watching movies? Rey's main dream was to finally have a family.
k9FHqq5.gif

This dream was so important to her that despite getting the chance to go on adventure and leave this life:
6fd04652-3da8-4c00-a874-d2bfb546a7b8.gif

She insists on going back anyway:
f59baa824f99b59c015122030ae05120.gif

tumblr_oxm0zizPbt1rnbxo9o2_540.gif

45028700-9d41-0133-a032-0e7c926a42af.gif

she's even aware of reality of the situation but still had hope:
tumblr_inline_o3l0klHaUh1qdizr1_500.gif

and because of that she couldn't see herself as the main hero, she went to Luke so that he could be the main hero, she went to Ben and called him their only hope, she never thought or saw herself as the main hero when she found out that she was special due to being a force sensitive:
may_the_fourth_star_wars_quotes_for_digital_marketers_working_with_clients_together_for_better_results_from_inbound_strategy.gif

Despite being capable of fulfilling that role as unlike Luke, she doesn't doubt the force:
tumblr_p4gs0jn93J1saw731o7_540.gif

Does she believe in the cause of the Resistance against the First Order?
You tell me:
2a2s.gif

gif-ive-never-met-a-resistance-fighter-star-wars.gif

As Maz Kanata tells her about the conflict at the castle she doesn't even know what the fight is.
Yes she does know what the fight is between the resistance & first order. By this time she's already fought the FO alongside Finn and was actively involved in completing Finn's mission. She didn't know that the fight involved the force:
giphy.gif

Jesus what is this shit. Rey's motivation changes in TLJ because her vain belief that her parents are coming back for her (a fairly ridiculous thing for her to have not gotten over in TFA, frankly) is finally put to rest and she is free to want something for herself, which turns out to be becoming a Jedi so she can best help her friends in the Resistance. Just like Luke's motivation in Empire shifts from "become a Jedi like my father" to "protect my friends, even if it means interrupting or even sacrificing my training in the process."
But she's not a kenobi so it doesn't count. /s

Does she even want to be a Jedi? Why does she want to be a Jedi?
Because it's the right thing to do. She always strives to do the right thing when she gets the chance. And now she has personal stakes in the conflict as she's the only one left who can face Kylo.

How are they not well established in the first movie? How are they not well established in the second? See above, she has well established motivations, hopes, and importantly, flaws.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, this is pretty clear in the movies. She wants to belong. She wants to be in a family.

She wants everything Ben rejected:

To be a Jedi
To have a loving family
To have a place in the universe
To help others

I mean, she hated Ben for throwing all these away, and got mad at Luke for almost doing the same.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
She wants to go back to her dirtbag parents. Or wanted. I have no idea what she wants at the end of TLJ.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He very concisely addressed every question the OP presented with examples from the movie. If the OP didn't want that, they shouldn't have asked.

Rey wanting a family is not a motivation for fighting for the Resistance, wanting to become a Jedi, and not turning to the Dark Side and ruling the galaxy beside Kylo.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Do you people genuinely not pay attention while watching movies? Rey's main dream was to finally have a family.
k9FHqq5.gif

This dream was so important to her that despite getting the chance to go on adventure and leave this life:

and because of that she couldn't see herself as the main hero, she went to Luke so that he could be the main hero, she went to Ben and called him their only hope, she never thought or saw herself as the main hero when she found out that she was special due to being a force sensitive:
may_the_fourth_star_wars_quotes_for_digital_marketers_working_with_clients_together_for_better_results_from_inbound_strategy.gif

Despite being capable of fulfilling that role as unlike Luke, she doesn't doubt the force:

Spot on. And it's why the ending is so great when she finally gets back to "her family".

a5aa217a457f5ea5d4b75f9f9250dcb7e2218118_hq.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Then it should also support her joining Kylo, yet she doesn't. Why?
Because there's literally no conflict between her and her family. Unlike Kylo, Rey had people to go back to.
a5aa217a457f5ea5d4b75f9f9250dcb7e2218118_hq.gif

She was never once conflicted about where she stands. She went to Ben to bring him over to the light, she only saw Ben when they communed with each other. And when he refused to redeem himself, she responded appropriately from the START of the conversation:
0d88fb10690bd08a3c535217ffacbd71.gif

Rey wanting a family is not a motivation for fighting for the Resistance, wanting to become a Jedi, and not turning to the Dark Side and ruling the galaxy beside Kylo.
Rey wanting to do the right thing is why she fights for the resistance. The OP asked what her dream was, her dream was to feel like she belonged somewhere and to be loved, she didn't realize it but initially but helping the resistance and gaining a sense of belonging coincided with each other.

Last edited:

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some dumb comments in here.
k9FHqq5.gif

You tell me:
2a2s.gif

gif-ive-never-met-a-resistance-fighter-star-wars.gif

Yes she does know what the fight is between the resistance & first order. By this time she's already fought the FO alongside Finn and was actively involved in completing Finn's mission. She didn't know that the fight involved the force:
giphy.gif

But she's not a kenobi so it doesn't count. /s

Because it's the right thing to do. She always strives to do the right thing when she gets the chance. And now she has personal stakes in the conflict as she's the only one left who can face Kylo.

How are they not well established in the first movie? How are they not well established in the second? See above, she has well established motivations, hopes, and importantly, flaws.

Thank you!!! I wish some people actually listened to the movies they watch.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

no kidding, its a god damn mess

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

This is a fair rebuttal.

Not to nitpick but this gif is from one of the trailers and does not appear in the final cut, but was replaced with the scene of Rey getting lost in thought staring at the old lady scavenger which I cited above.

I'm not sure how much of a good thing it is for her character to have no doubts about the force or not be compelled by the Dark Side. I acknowledge that this sets her apart form Luke but I'm not sure it makes her more interesting.

These gifs really don't tell us much. You can interpret the scenes different ways. She may just want to be a pilot. She may just like the helmet. There's not enough information here to really know if she wants to join the Resistance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Rey wanting to do the right thing is why she fights for the resistance. The OP asked what her dream was, her dream was to feel like she belonged somewhere and to be loved, she didn't realize it but initially but helping the resistance and gaining a sense of belonging coincided with each other.

No, this is an emotional need not a dream or motivation to join the cause of the Resistance. Most human beings have an emotional need to be loved by friends or family. The point I am making is, we really don't know much about Rey beyond the things that hold her back. We know Luke wanted to be a pilot. We know Luke believed in the cause of the Rebellion. We know Luke wanted to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like his father. I can't tell you what Rey wants other than to be reconnected with family.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
She's hoping for the greatest sets of abs in the galaxy.
Unfortunately all she has to go on is Kylo's somewhat commendable but flawed effort.
Come on Henry Cavill, switch universes and show her the way.

Or better yet, let's have John Boyega reveal himself as our lord and shirtless savior.
It depends on who's writing the movie.
Oh man.
Everything that pisses me off about current Star Wars summed up right there.
Just settle on one person's vision per saga / trilogy please.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not to nitpick but this gif is from one of the trailers and does not appear in the final cut, but was replaced with the scene of Rey getting lost in thought staring at the old lady scavenger which I cited above.
DEUoZBM.gif

I'm not sure how much of a good thing it is for her character to have no doubts about the force or not be compelled by the Dark Side. I acknowledge that this sets her apart form Luke but I'm not sure it makes her more interesting.
Many many many characters in this franchise don't doubt what the force can do. Rey grew up idolizing all of that.

These gifs really don't tell us much.
They tell us everything we need to know about how Rey views the resistance. She idolizes and sympathizes with them. Look at that look on her face. As well as her reaction when she meets THE Han Solo.

No, this is an emotional need not a dream or motivation to join the cause of the Resistance.
It's BOTH.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It depends on who's writing the movie.
Actually I think some of these writers just like setting things up without any ideas for a middle or ending of the story. For example, one writer says "she wants to find her parents" but never actually thinks or writes about WHY she wants to find them, who they really are, or what her reaction will be once finding out. They literally just write "she wants to find her parents" and if asked later on they will write why or what or who.

in other words, literally nobody knows what Rey wants until paid to write it for that moment in the story. It better this way because now you can make her chewbaccas genetically altered child then mock anyone trying to follow the story for creating wrong "headcannon".

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Many many many characters in this franchise don't doubt what the force can do. Rey grew up idolizing all of that.

Rey grew up idolizing the force and the Jedi? What textual evidence is there for that in the movie? Because I'm not seeing it.

They tell us everything we need to know about how Rey views the resistance. She idolizes and sympathizes with them. Look at that look on her face. As well as her reaction when she meets THE Han Solo.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Rey's hopes are to find her parents and understand why they did what they did. Even if that means finding comfort tin the arms of her grandfather!

images

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Rey grew up idolizing the force and the Jedi? What textual evidence is there for that in the movie? Because I'm not seeing it.
This scene would be completely different if she wasn't someone who explicitly heard legends about the jedi specifically Luke.

This is literally Rey's face when she hears the words LUKE SKYWALKER:
GP3rksT.gif

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.
It's called show don't tell, the film is showing us what Rey thinks instead of having it spelled out via exposition like the prequels would.

Audience sees charactert cheekily wearing a resistance helmet:
2a2s.gif

Audience sees character with a hand made toy of an alliance member:
3nq2cc2.gif

Audience sees Character's tone and body language completely change when she's told she's talking to a resistance member:

Audience Character expressing excitement about a super secret resistance mission:
e9NVUgW.gif

For the people in the back, Rey's reaction when hearing the words LUKE SKYWALKER:
GP3rksT.gif

Gee, I wonder if by this point we can clearly make an informed assumption about how she feels about the resistance.

Rey literally sleeps in Original Trilogy merchandise and cosplays as a rebel fighter when no one is looking.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's literally a Star Wars fan girl and wants to be the next Luke Skywalker. It's nowhere near as inconsistent as you all are thinking, but yet again I'm not still mad about the Last Jedi eight months later.