• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't own a toaster. I'm not anti bread or anything. I do buy bread. I just don't really need to toast the bread. If I want a hot sandwich I just press it on my cast iron skillet. I also don't eat bagels much. Those must be toasted and the stove top option for toasting is not as good. I don't have a toaster oven either.

I also don't have a food processor. I see these things in cooking shows all the time. But I can do most of that they do be hand or using a blender, which I do have. They look awful to clean as well if you're without a dishwasher.

And, of course, I don't own an electric kettle. I don't drink tea ever so no need. I rarely need to boil water quickly either.

What are some common kitchen appliance you don't own and why?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't own a toaster. I'm not anti bread or anything. I do buy bread. I just don't really need to toast the bread. If I want a hot sandwich I just press it on my cast iron skillet. I also don't eat bagels much. Those must be toasted and the stove top option for toasting is not as good. I don't have a toaster oven either.
how do you live with yourself?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toaster and food processor but imo those don't count as common kitchen appliances
Dishwasher tho I don't own.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I love to cook so I have pretty much everything assuming you count all the different functions of the Instant Pot.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
That's ok OP, I have a toaster and it gets used maybe once a month.
Does a kettle count as an "appliance"? I don't own one of those.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Dont own a coffee maker, dont drink it. Do have an electric kettle for tea.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I don't own a coffe machine/maker.

When i drink coffe at home (every day) i make a traditional Greek/Turkish or a Frappe, for both of them a machine is not necessery.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Blender. I don't drink smoothies or make pureed soups. If I need to break down any ingredient I'll use my food processor.

The method for cleaning a food processor and not feeling like it's a total drag:
1. Hot water. Very hot water. It'll cut any fats/oils that may have adhered to the plastics.
2. A towel, drying mat, or drying rack where you can let the food processor air dry completely. You just set it there and let it do its thing

That's it. That said, I will only pull out the food processor when there are no other alternatives suited to the task. The idea of using a contraption with multiple parts still makes my mind a little tired. But that's why I have a hand immersion blender and a mini Ninja food processor. They're great for salsas and other small tasks.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
An automated drip coffee maker, though that might be a cop-out answer as I have a french press and a ceramic pour over dropper.

I don't own an electric mixer, though truth be told I would like to get one at some point.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had a microwave for 6 months. It's not terrible to be honest, don't really have the counter space for one.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I threw away my old-ass toaster and microwave. That was a few years ago and I still haven't come around to getting new ones. Managing to cook just fine without them, surprisingly! I might get a microwave in the near future, as reheating meals is so much easier with one.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
We don't own a toaster anymore and it pisses me off. My wife got a toaster oven and threw away our old Black & Decker toaster. Toaster ovens are fine but they're way more complex than a toaster and we already have a full oven and so it's just this piece of huge kitchen hardware that we don't use at all, where as I used to use the toaster at least once a week.

But my wife was so gung-ho about a toaster oven as a wedding registry gift, I have no idea why. She's used it like twice in a year. It takes for ever to heat up, heats unevenly, you have to fucking flip stuff half the time, it's too small to really heat something large, too large for what it's usually heating which is like, bread-shaped things. I suppose it'd be fine for making toasted sandwiches, but I'd just use the oven for that... We also have a premium on counter-space, and so having this microwave-sized toaster oven is so inefficient use of space for something we never use, is harder to clean. ALSO the goddam thing gets SUPER HOT on the sides. And you have to preheat the fucking thing? I just want toasted bread, or a bagel, or an english muffin. Why the fuck would I Want to turn a 3-4minute exercise into an 11-minute exercize? For fucks sake.

But because I kinda protested about the toaster oven and she won that baattle out of stubbornness, it's not something I could ever bring up again or she'd flip. Probably take the whole unit and throw it out in the trash outside and then we'd have neither a toaster oven nor a toaster.

We have mostly everything else (I've got a fucking fry-a-lator and a panini press for godsakes). We don't have a Sous vide, no interest in it at this point. I'd also like to buy a new outdoor grill, my old shitty home depot grill that I bought when I bought my house 10 years ago is hitting the limits of its durability. I really want to get a nice new Weber grill, and I probabyl will, but I don't want feel like dropping $1000 on one... but I still probably will.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I don't own a toaster either. I can toast bread in my oven, and I don't toast bread more than once or twice a month because I don't buy bread

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a mixer. I don't bake and I can get by doing it by hand if it's necessary for something.

I don't own a toaster. I have a toaster oven.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
"sadly" we don't have a Microwave in our new apartment, but rather one of these fancy ass steam / convection ovens. (in addition to the regular 'oven' oven). Which is great and all, but sometimes i just wanna heat up cold soup or coffee from 1 hour ago, right in the cup, in 30 seconds. Or have some microwave pop-corn.

I miss that convenience. Though the induction stove certainly helps.

dvTOaK1.png

Beyond that - we have a Blender, a KitchenAid Artisan, two coffee makers (drip + nespresso), a Nespresso milk foamer, a Crock pot (that collects dust), a mixer, a toaster, a Soda Stream ... a coffee grinder, an electric kettle ...

We don't have a waffle iron or any of these 'fold down' (George Forman style) grills - but i have those little toaster bags that let you make grilled cheese sandwiches in your (vertical) toaster.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only use the microwave and toaster. I've been seriously considering donating the few unused appliances I do have to a thrift store, because they're just a hassle for when I have to move.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I think 99% of kitchens in the UK have toasters and kettles.

We don't have a dishwasher, which sucks, but there's no room for one.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Coffee machine. I didn't drink coffee often enough to need one, but I got a Keurig as a gift once. After a year, I gave it away since it took up space and wasn't used often enough. Now I have a french press and bean grinder which are easy to clean, inexpensive, and small enough to shove in a cabinet when not in use.

I love toasters. I don't use it often, but if I have bread, I need it toasted. I have a small manual food processor which is really easy to clean and store. I'd like to get rid of our fryer. We don't use it because it's such a mess and a pain in the ass to clean.

Last edited:

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't own a coffee maker because when I did I ended up finding roaches making a home in there because of the moisture and darkness and there was no winning that battle so I just use a French press.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of gadgets but never had a toaster or mixer.

Been thinking about a mixer to make homemade pasta

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't own a toaster anymore and it pisses me off. My wife got a toaster oven and threw away our old Black & Decker toaster. Toaster ovens are fine but they're way more complex than a toaster and we already have a full oven and so it's just this piece of huge kitchen hardware that we don't use at all, where as I used to use the toaster at least once a week.

But my wife was so gung-ho about a toaster oven as a wedding registry gift, I have no idea why. She's used it like twice in a year. It takes for ever to heat up, heats unevenly, you have to fucking flip stuff half the time, it's too small to really heat something large, too large for what it's usually heating which is like, bread-shaped things. I suppose it'd be fine for making toasted sandwiches, but I'd just use the oven for that... We also have a premium on counter-space, and so having this microwave-sized toaster oven is so inefficient use of space for something we never use, is harder to clean. ALSO the goddam thing gets SUPER HOT on the sides. And you have to preheat the fucking thing? I just want toasted bread, or a bagel, or an english muffin. Why the fuck would I Want to turn a 3-4minute exercise into an 11-minute exercize? For fucks sake.

But because I kinda protested about the toaster oven and she won that baattle out of stubbornness, it's not something I could ever bring up again or she'd flip. Probably take the whole unit and throw it out in the trash outside and then we'd have neither a toaster oven nor a toaster.

We have mostly everything else (I've got a fucking fry-a-lator and a panini press for godsakes). We don't have a Sous vide, no interest in it at this point. I'd also like to buy a new outdoor grill, my old shitty home depot grill that I bought when I bought my house 10 years ago is hitting the limits of its durability. I really want to get a nice new Weber grill, and I probabyl will, but I don't want feel like dropping $1000 on one... but I still probably will.

Dog what kind of toaster oven are you using? That sounds like a nightmare.

My experience with ours is the exact opposite, we have a Breville and it's the best thing we've ever bought. Heats up super fast (so beats using the oven), large enough for plenty of food. Toasts evenly and perfect every single time and in as few as 3 minutes. Bagels are perfectly toasted, reheated pizza is like eating it straight after delivery, we use it for like 90% of our cooking and we're a family of 4.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I think we have everything but an instant pot, and we'll likely have one of those in the not too distant future. I hate having things that are never used, but to my wife's credit she actually uses all of our kitchen appliances.

I enjoy cooking too, but it's one of her true passions, so most of the time she just wants me to get out of the way and cleanup after she's done.

Edit: Oh yeah, we don't have a toaster oven. Not a big loss there, they take up a lot of space and they can't do anything that an actual oven and/or toaster can't do.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
No oven. Most homes in Taiwan don't have them. I don't really miss it except when I want to make desserts.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a thermometer recently and that marks the end of everything I really need. Might have to get a new crepe pan and stock pot soon though.

Been slowly getting rid of my bunch of pressure cookers as they age out, the Instant Pot has replaced all of them.

A food processor or a stand mixer would be nice but not really a necessity.

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't own a toaster or an electric kettle for years, and the only reason I have them now is because my parents bought them for their own convenience when staying over. I've literally never used the toaster myself, and I only use the kettle for making instant gravy (otherwise I just boiled water on the stovetop).

I don't own a coffee maker, which are extremely common here in the Netherlands, but I've never drank a coffee in my life, so it wouldn't be useful to me anyway.

I didn't have a dishwasher until three years ago when I moved into my new apartment, and I almost never use the one I have now anyway. I still just wash everything by hand, unless I have family or friends staying over (even then, sometimes I just forget to use it).

I don't own any kind of food processor or blender, although I kinda want one if only so I can quickly chop up onions for making curries.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't grow up having a toaster and don't see the point of one if you already have a toaster oven.

Don't have a dishwasher in the current apartment which I'm fine with. Never really use it besides a drying rack and I'd rather have the cabinet space.

Partner wants an InstaPot so we'll probably be getting that at some point.

Dec 12, 2017
A toaster oven or toaster. They take up too much space. I don't have to pay for cooking gas in my apartment so it just doesn't make sense to use electricity for smaller ovens

Feb 10, 2018
I don't have a coffee maker, rice cooker, or slow cooker.

Because the last two can be done with stove and oven.
And I drink instant decaff.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
when i opened this thread i did not expect toasters to be the most common answer

wtf guys get it together

dishwasher for me

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Microwave. We used to have one but everything made in that thing tasted like crap. So now, if I don't have time to cook, I just eat a sandwich.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Microwave. We used to have one but everything made in that thing tasted like crap. So now, if I don't have time to cook, I just eat a sandwich.

I expected this and it's true you can't cook anything well in a microwave but besides heating things quickly I've found microwave great for kickstarting long cooked veggies such as yams ... put them in bowl , cover put in for a minute per yam then move them to oven .... halves the cooking time ... I actually use it several times per week just for this yams , potatoes , squash , etc

There's a good use for many but some pull double duty. My friend gave me a convection oven which toasts as well so toaster is not needed.
Food processor is a common one but if you try to grind things that are sticky like nuts they won't fall down into a blender properly the food processor is great for that and shredding and chopping like shredding your own bag of cheese.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
My wife loves kitchen appliances. That's like the majority of my gifts to her. Vitamix blender, KitchenAid Pro series mixer, Instant Pot, the works. This year I got her an immersion blender for Christmas. She loves it.

She wants a big expensive food processor as her next kitchen purchase. We have one now but it's a smallish, cheap one. I'll probably end up getting it for her as a birthday gift or something. A fryer is the only thing we don't have and she wants an air fryer, so that will be another future gift, I'm sure.