• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
toasters are functionally useless to me since i can just use all other manners of dry heat to toast bread, so check off one unitasker for me

otherwise i have all sorts of shit, i dunno if im missing anything thats common

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife loves kitchen appliances. That's like the majority of my gifts to her. Vitamix blender, KitchenAid Pro series mixer, Instant Pot, the works. This year I got her an immersion blender for Christmas. She loves it.

She wants a big expensive food processor as her next kitchen purchase. We have one now but it's a smallish, cheap one. I'll probably end up getting it for her as a birthday gift or something. A fryer is the only thing we don't have and she wants an air fryer, so that will be another future gift, I'm sure.

There's a nice Quisinart set at Costco right now that's on sale.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We don't own a toaster anymore and it pisses me off. My wife got a toaster oven and threw away our old Black & Decker toaster. Toaster ovens are fine but they're way more complex than a toaster and we already have a full oven and so it's just this piece of huge kitchen hardware that we don't use at all, where as I used to use the toaster at least once a week.

Toaster ovens are great with kids. Need to heat up four chicken nuggets and some tater tots for their dinner? Way easier than throwing them in the big oven.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Knife block - Keep that shit put away, it's just clutter.

Key/junk bowl - more clutter, installed dangling hooks beneath the cabinets for people to hand their keys from.

Keurig machine - Just got rid of mine, it's noisy, generates large amounts of plastic waste and pales in comparison to how good an electric kettle looks and performs.

Not exactly appliances but people ask me constantly why I don't own these.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
My wife loves kitchen appliances. That's like the majority of my gifts to her. Vitamix blender, KitchenAid Pro series mixer, Instant Pot, the works. This year I got her an immersion blender for Christmas. She loves it.

She wants a big expensive food processor as her next kitchen purchase. We have one now but it's a smallish, cheap one. I'll probably end up getting it for her as a birthday gift or something. A fryer is the only thing we don't have and she wants an air fryer, so that will be another future gift, I'm sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WA4UI42/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love mine. 12 cup, die cast heavy metal.

dodosaurus

Oct 27, 2017
The Sea
don't have a toaster, i just use the oven,
don't have a tosti/waffle iron, just use a pan for tostis and don't eat waffles
don't have a mixer, i have a whisk

i need more stuff in my kitchen...

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I don't have a regular toaster but I do have a toaster oven, so IDK if that counts.

Honestly I just make toast on the stovetop in a pan more often than not tho.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
As a millennial, I also do not own an Avocado pitter/slicer.

0WR2W5Y.gif

(Why are there so many useless single purpose kitchen appliances).

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Toaster oven works wonders and doesn't make your leftovers soggy or tough like a microwave will.

regular plates aren't really made for toaster ovens and TO aren't very large. And depending on the food type, dry heat won't work well.

Knife block - Keep that shit put away, it's just clutter.

Key/junk bowl - more clutter, installed dangling hooks beneath the cabinets for people to hand their keys from.

Keurig machine - Just got rid of mine, it's noisy, generates large amounts of plastic waste and pales in comparison to how good an electric kettle looks and performs.

Not exactly appliances but people ask me constantly why I don't own these.

When I redo my kitchen I think I'm either going to build in counter slots for knives to sit, or run long magnets on the wall to stick them to. I agree about the block taking up a lot of space, plus I run out of slots.

Keurig - really fast cup of coffee, and you can use reusable cups for your grounds. Nothing else makes a cup of coffee in 2 minutes. I have all the makers (maker, moka pot, french press, aeropress, keurig) and it's the most convenient for time crunches.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I primarily put leftover food in a cullender, and put that on top of a boiling pot of water to steam. Although, the oven or stove sometimes works better depending on what I'm reheating.

do you mean a Colander? But that has holes. I'm talking about a plate full of 5+ foods, like thanksgiving.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No toaster, toaster oven, blender or food processor. I also didn't have a microwave for like 3 years at an apartment that didn't come with one. I kinda really do wanna get a blender though.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing right now, but when I lived by myself a few years ago I didn't have a toaster. I have one now because of housemates though. I didn't have a microwave for a while either, I just reheated food in the oven.

I currently have an immersion blender, but no stand blender if that counts. I don't make smoothies very often; it's mostly for soups so it's more practical.

Growing up my parents didn't have a coffee maker for years, even though they both drank it regularly most mornings (instant). My siblings and I finally got them one for Christmas one year.

when i opened this thread i did not expect toasters to be the most common answer

wtf guys get it together

dishwasher for me
Some people don't like toast!

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same. Hate microwaves. Reheating in a microwave tastes like shit and it's easy to lean on it for unhealthy, low quality meals. Anything I can do with a microwave I can do better with an oven or skillet.

The microwave is great for reheating coffee, quickly melting butter, reheating certain leftovers quickly. It has its place.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Same. Hate microwaves. Reheating in a microwave tastes like shit and it's easy to lean on it for unhealthy, low quality meals. Anything I can do with a microwave I can do better with an oven or skillet.

I microwave frozen veggies every day. The means of heating don't make the healthiness of a dish. Microwaves are great for steaming since they just vibrate water molecules.

Oven, low heat, perhaps covered in foil.

LOL. You obviously don't have kids. :)

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
do you mean a Colander? But that has holes. I'm talking about a plate full of 5+ foods, like thanksgiving.
Yeah, cullender is the same as a colander.

As mentioned above, the oven could probably do fine there. You can cook some of the items separately too, the entire plate doesn't have to be heated at the same time the same way.

I'll also mention that I'm a single vegan, and eat relatively low-complex meals. Most of the time I cook only for what I need, and leftovers don't typically make up an entire meal. For a family man, I can see how a microwave may have a bigger place in your kitchen.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...When I redo my kitchen I think I'm either going to build in counter slots for knives to sit, or run long magnets on the wall to stick them to. I agree about the block taking up a lot of space, plus I run out of slots.

Keurig - really fast cup of coffee, and you can use reusable cups for your grounds. Nothing else makes a cup of coffee in 2 minutes. I have all the makers (maker, moka pot, french press, aeropress, keurig) and it's the most convenient for time crunches.
Personally, I'd much rather attach the knives directly to the wall above the backsplash. There are a few stylish options for mounting knives on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Customized-P...r=8-2-spons&keywords=wood+magnet+knives&psc=1

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I'd cope without a microwave. It's way too useful.

I could live shortly without a kettle before I get bored of waiting for water to boil in a pan.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I think we have everything but an instant pot, and we'll likely have one of those in the not too distant future. I hate having things that are never used, but to my wife's credit she actually uses all of our kitchen appliances.

I enjoy cooking too, but it's one of her true passions, so most of the time she just wants me to get out of the way and cleanup after she's done.

Edit: Oh yeah, we don't have a toaster oven. Not a big loss there, they take up a lot of space and they can't do anything that an actual oven and/or toaster can't do.

So you have a sous vide? Got one on black friday and it's amazing to cook with.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I've got pretty much everything but a toaster oven. I really want one tho. Ooh, and also an outdoor burner so I can do wok stuff properly. Gotta get that wok hei going properly.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I don't have a coffee machine, because I make cold brew. I should get something that would be more normal for guests, though...maybe a pour-over option.
Given how much I cook, the lack of a stand mixer is a bit weird. I have most of the rest.
I'll probably go toaster oven when my toaster dies, because I hate heating up the whole oven for just one potato or two chicken breasts. And I'm considering going with an Instant Pot when either the rice cooker or the slow cooker die.

EDIT: I didn't say why I don't have a stand mixer. I'm cheap and can get by without one, via manual labor.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a coffee machine, because I make cold brew. I should get something that would be more normal for guests, though...maybe a pour-over option.
Given how much I cook, the lack of a stand mixer is a bit weird. I have most of the rest.
I'll probably go toaster oven when my toaster dies, because I hate heating up the whole oven for just one potato or two chicken breasts. And I'm considering going with an Instant Pot when either the rice cooker or the slow cooker die.

French press - works great for cold brews and regular, especially when there's a lot of people over.

Oct 27, 2017
A blender, my mom offered to give me one she doesn't use, but for some reason I'm terrified of them. They look so fragile and I cant shake the feeling that the cup will fucking explode.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I haven't had a microwave in years. We even renovated the kitchen and intentionally didn't put it in there.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
People find it weird that I've never, in all my homes both alone and with parents, had a dishwasher. I'm always getting told off for loading them incorrectly :(

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I microwave frozen veggies every day. The means of heating don't make the healthiness of a dish. Microwaves are great for steaming since they just vibrate water molecules.

LOL. You obviously don't have kids. :)

I mean, to be clear, I have and use a microwave, primarily for small items or parcooking potatoes. But I could also see getting by without one if it came to it.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
This thread has me thinking about putting away my microwave for a bit to see how i do without it. I really only use it like twice a month because I usually only eat leftovers at work.

Deleted member 13506

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No microwave, dishwasher, or blender.

Never liked food out of a microwave, and I can do everything I need with a stove. Dishwasher would be nice, but I usually do dishes right after I'm finished with them so it isn't a big deal. I do want a blender, but every time I start doing the research I end up wanting a vitamix, but that price tag.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
For those with food processors, what do you use it for? I mostly see used a lot in baking applications. Not a big baker myself. What about for savory cooking?