• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Toaster ovens are great with kids. Need to heat up four chicken nuggets and some tater tots for their dinner? Way easier than throwing them in the big oven.

Aaah good point, my daughter is only 5mos but maybe when the chicken nugget age comes I'll find more use for it. Thanks!

This is a fair reaction. I have a tendency to drink 1/2 my coffee in the morning and then get distracted by work, and I'd rather nuke it than throw it away.

It's vastly inferior to fresh, but I paid for those beans and I'm not gonna waste 'em.

It changes the chemical composition of the coffee!

My parents do the same thing though. Grosses me out. My dad will buy like a large coffee and keep it all weekend, reheating it every few hours. Shit's nasty

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the microwave, it's the reheating. Even coffee kept warm for hours will suck.

I think in addition to reheating, Microwaves cook the molecules too hot. Coffee's supposed to be made at, whatever, 180 or 190deg F, and microwaves bring that heat to higher than a boil often times, which totally fucks up the coffee. Thought I read that somewhere.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I think in addition to reheating, Microwaves cook the molecules too hot. Coffee's supposed to be made at, whatever, 180 or 190deg F, and microwaves bring that heat to higher than a boil often times, which totally fucks up the coffee. Thought I read that somewhere.

You can adjust the microwaves power level to sort of compensate. But navigating a microwave interface can be so unintuitive that most people don't bother and I don't blame them.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have never owned a microwave... because I'm not living in the 90s, and honestly don't see the need.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Water can't get "higher than boil". ;) Fire that heats water is also hotter than 212F, but that doesn't mean the water is. lol.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aaah good point, my daughter is only 5mos but maybe when the chicken nugget age comes I'll find more use for it. Thanks!

It changes the chemical composition of the coffee!

My parents do the same thing though. Grosses me out. My dad will buy like a large coffee and keep it all weekend, reheating it every few hours. Shit's nasty

I'm not that much of a heathen. I do a 30 second nuke with a small pinch of salt, which helps minimize the off flavors.

Also, this is getting off topic. I'm a fringe case! Stop looking at meeee

Water can't get "higher than boil". ;) Fire that heats water is also hotter than 212F, but that doesn't mean the water is. lol.

You can actually superheat water in a microwave.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't have a stand mixer, but I don't know if that's really common. All internet cooking videos act like you just have one sitting around.

I also don't own an electric kettle because I don't have much use for one, but I live in America where they're not very common anyway.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
If I lived alone I probably wouldn't have a toaster. I don't toast anything ever.

Are rice cookers common? I don't have that.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microwave: I use all the time for softening bread. I know that sounds weird but it releeases water molecules even in dry loafs, especially from the fridge. I also use it to heat and soften tortillas before finishing them on a dry hot pan for a bit of color and texture.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a stand mixer. I don't really have a good reason for not having one, though. I guess using a hand mixer is pretty satisfying.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'll totally microwave leftover coffee (as long as it's not more than a few hours old). I'm not throwing away a perfectly good source of caffeine.

As far as gadgets go, I have too many. Of those that are probably more common...I don't own a garlic press. I think they're silly - I'll just chop it up with a knife.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll totally microwave leftover coffee (as long as it's not more than a few hours old). I'm not throwing away a perfectly good source of caffeine.

As far as gadgets go, I have too many. Of those that are probably more common...I don't own a garlic press. I think they're silly - I'll just chop it up with a knife.

I have to admit that the garlic press we recently acquired does produce a nice, fast result. It's more of a paste, though, so not entirely interchangeable with minced.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have to admit that the garlic press we recently acquired does produce a nice, fast result. It's more of a paste, though, so not entirely interchangeable with minced.

It's definitely easier - and my own reason for not owning one is a bit ridiculous because I do own other devices where I could just perform them manually.

I will even occasionally buy small jars of minced garlic, which is a horrible sin.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't ever had an issue cleaning my food processor and I don't have a dishwasher.

I don't own a traditional blender, but I do have an immersion blender, which is GREAT. Cheap and wildly useful.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely easier - and my own reason for not owning one is a bit ridiculous because I do own other devices where I could just perform them manually.

I will even occasionally buy small jars of minced garlic, which is a horrible sin.

Yeah, I've been there. I think we ended up adding one to an order of stoneware baking dishes because we wanted free shipping, or something. I'm more fond of it than I care to admit.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As far as worktop appliances go, I only have a kettle and a toaster, the latter of which very rarely gets used. Don't have room for a microwave, haven't felt the need to use one in a fair few years either. Had a coffee machine but it broke a few months ago and I've been getting by with a cafetiere just fine since then.

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
I left blender for unreal /joke

I mostly use microwave for defroze and always finish to cook in the stove. That way food taste better and is more quick.

I dont use toaster and other electric stuff but i do have (since a couple of months) a machine who makes rice and its pretty good.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have a food processor, mixer, or blender. I use all the other appliances a lot so I have them. Although I've been thinking about getting a waffle maker.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a toaster as I don't really eat toast.

I don't have a coffee maker or whatever they are called because I don't drink coffee.

I honestly can't even picture a food processor in my head, so I guess didn't even have one growing up. No clue what that is

I really just have a rice cooker and this grill thing I got as a present that I never use and a microwave

Oct 25, 2017
Built a new house and dropped the microwave since we have a steam oven which does everything a microwave can do (more or less) and is much healthier. In the nearly 10 years we lived at our other house I can count on one hand the number of times we used our microwave.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
For those with food processors, what do you use it for? I mostly see used a lot in baking applications. Not a big baker myself. What about for savory cooking?
I bulk cook caramelised onions in a slow cooker and my food processor (Magimix 5200XL) has a slicer attachment that makes light work of finely chopping onions. Simply feed the peeled onions down the tube and job's a goodun'. I also use the same attachment for chopping vegetables like leeks and carrots so that each slice has a uniform thickness.

It also has a grater attachment which is perfect for bulk grating of cheese.

If I make soup or sauces, I can blitz the lot in it for a smooth consistency. It's also excellent for making dough.

It's a handy bit of kit.👍🏻

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
71FnWioWbuL._SY879_.jpg

Not a common item but we've got everything except an immersion blender and I want one.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
drip-coffee maker. we use a french press
toaster oven. limited counter space.
blender. we do have 2 different sizes of food processor but idk how convenient they'd feel if anyone in the household went on a smoothie kick.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I own most common appliances and gadgets. I wish I had a kitchenaid stand mixer and one of those VitaMix blenders, tho. Those things are really pricey tho for something I may not use super often.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Toaster
Toaster oven
Dishwasher

...for how tiny my kitchen is, that's about it. I've got a decent amount of kitchen/cooking shit.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the lack of microwave ovens. So convenient for leftovers.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I jinxed myself.

The door open button of microwave broke. I don't have the special torque screw heads to open it lol. It had my dinner yesterday from leftovers in the oven so I had to throw it away. I didn't want that stuff spoiling overnight.

I'm gonna see how I can improvise with my stove and oven only.