• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Piggybacking off of SOLDIER's Tifa thread, what are some changes to content you think we'll see in the FF7 Remake?

SpIjrrQ.png

Fort Condor minigame - removed

T57EP8B.png

Knights of the Round - nerfed

Sg0lEE5.gif

Kawaii Cloud - remains (I think this is was confirmed?) but Honeybee Inn - removed

0xsA19s.jpg

Gi Nattak face - level of scariness nerfed

OvGcJ9H.jpg

That stupid Mr. Dolphin jump sequence - removed

XA6CaLv.png

Ropeway to Gold Saucer - changed? It never made sense to me that the only entrance to this place (besides the prison elevator) was through this shanty town.

sp00ky cut content Sephiroth model turning around during this flashback sequence - BROUGHT BACK.

Other misc. changes:
- Yuffie & Vincent no longer optional
- Gold Saucer 'Super Dunk' changed to let you score on more than 2 frames (though game is probably removed)
- ????

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
If they remove any of what you mentioned, I will riot. Especially the fort condor minigame ! If Yakuza can throw so many minigames with far less budget, FF7 Remake could definitely do it !

Ropeway to Gold Saucer - changed? It never made sense to me that the only entrance to this place (besides the prison elevator) was through this shanty town.

It makes sense to me. Gold Saucer is capitalist extravagance, that the tramway that leads to it comes from an impoverished refugee camp that were displaced because of the Shinra shows the divide in class.

Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth- removed
Aeris repeatedly spells out her name in dialogue throughout the game = "a-e-r-i-s"
Cloud to be in wheelchair for the entire game - diversity win!
Barret has been replaced with Lightning

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If they remove any of what you mentioned, I will riot. Especially the fort condor minigame ! If Yakuza can throw so many minigames with far less budget, FF7 Remake could definitely do it !

If they keep it, they better make it like the original where if you lose the final huge materia battle you permanently lose access to even entering Fort Condor lol.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yuffie and Vincent being mandatory is a certain.

I imagine a lot of the more random mini games will either be removed or replaced with cutscenes. Like no dolphin jump or CPR.
Tifa vs Scarlet.
ff7_scene_re_visioning_by_dansome0203-da743fi.png

Golden Saucer will probably receive a major overhaul for any non-vehicle mini games.

I feel like Chocobo breeding is going to be removed or revive as massive change due to the episodic format.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Sephiroth- removed
Aeris repeatedly spells out her name in dialogue throughout the game = "a-e-r-i-s"
Cloud to be in wheelchair for the entire game - diversity win!
Barret has been replaced with Lightning

Hm so you're saying Genesis will replace Sephiroth. Definite possibility.

Remove the slapping but also remove that jumping and grabbing onto the rope sequence. The way it whips back just in time for her to catch it, smh.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
They better not get rid of honeybee inn or the dress part

That shit was hilarious and always a great mood change in between the Midgar bits which were amazing but dark and serious

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
funny because i never realized how silly a lot of the game could be in a modern context. then again it's been years since i played.

but i expect a pretty much completely different game. hardly any of it will "carry over", just the broad strokes

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They better not get rid of honeybee inn or the dress part

That shit was hilarious and always a great mood change in between the Midgar bits which were amazing but dark and serious

Honeybee Inn is mostly useless but the bee suits were cute. If "Episode 1" is truly just Midgar though, it might be a way to shove in more content.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Take a pick

DUE9ZW3W4AAMeL2.jpg

tumblr_nq0rbdIyIJ1u6i0ico1_500.png

maxresdefault.jpg

FF7-7.jpg

tumblr_inline_mtc7zy5Mjt1rithpk.jpg

https://www./proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FVRRItYI.jpg&hash=2ea5d09c0c8e91b741fdb4ea67ae05d9

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
no more implication at the highwind scene...i guess that would make the game M rated???

All i want to really see changed is more depth to the lifestream scene. its my favorite scene in the entirety of FF7 and probably all of gaming. And so i'd love to see them put way more depth into it with today's technology than was possible

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the submarine mission is still in. That was fun.

Snowboarding is gone, probably replace with a snowmobile. The original could remain a game at the Gold Saucer.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take a pick

DUE9ZW3W4AAMeL2.jpg

tumblr_nq0rbdIyIJ1u6i0ico1_500.png

maxresdefault.jpg

FF7-7.jpg

tumblr_inline_mtc7zy5Mjt1rithpk.jpg

https://www./proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FVRRItYI.jpg&hash=2ea5d09c0c8e91b741fdb4ea67ae05d9
I realllllly hope disguised Red is still in the game somehow. It's to hilarious not to be.

I don't think Cid and Shera's relationship will be changed that much. Cid's Not meant to be the good guy there. Will probably tone down Shera blaming herself though.

no more implication at the highwind scene...i guess that would make the game M rated???

I think the implied sex scene will stay. Games have done worse and I think they can get away with something while keeping a T rating. Heck FFX kinda did the same thing.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i expect them to change so much that the campaign will only faintly resemble the original at parts.

But if FFXV is any indication?

final-fantasy-nissin-2.jpg

49xmwfdg83yx.jpg

FFXV_EpisodeKenny-1.jpg

tumblr_p0s4tiZcc61s6ub5do1_500.gif

moogle-2-200600.jpg

alot more quirky FF7 stuff is safe than you'd initially think would be safe.

Last edited:

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Additions? Hmmmm.... I've got an idea.

Clould?
Zeno.....gias
Wan't to play some cards?
Mrrrrr
*twang twang twang*

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The optional Ruby/Emerald Weapon fights will need significant changes. These things are multiple stories tall and they are shooting for a certain amount of realism here.

They need to keep cross-dressing cloud at the Honeybee, and they should make it as Lightning as possible just for the nod. Like use the dress she had during the Ouroboros festival in Lightning Returns. Plus the wig could be her hair-style.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The optional Ruby/Emerald Weapon fights will need significant changes. These things are multiple stories tall and they are shooting for a certain amount of realism here.

I hope they change these the least. WEAPONs are one of my favourite things from one of my favourite games. That cinematic where they erupt from the north crater is still the best in the game imo.

JBSFxmh.jpg

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to keep intact as much of the eccentricity of the original with as straight a face as possible.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I want them to keep intact as much of the eccentricity of the original with as straight a face as possible.

I think there is plenty of room to keep silly stuff in and not have it interfere with tone, depending on where it's added.

lV8lVF9.gif

Like Bugenhagen floating on an orb makes no sense and is silly but doesn't really affect anything else.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is plenty of room to keep silly stuff in and not have it interfere with tone, depending on where it's added.

lV8lVF9.gif

Like Bugenhagen floating on an orb makes no sense and is silly but doesn't really affect anything else.

Until Before Crisis I legit thought he didn't have legs.
At least we know what Diamond should look like
latest
Such a random monster to bring back. (Still awesome though.)

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they change these the least. WEAPONs are one of my favourite things from one of my favourite games. That cinematic where they erupt from the north crater is still the best in the game imo.

JBSFxmh.jpg
final-fantasy-xv-titan.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XV-1-1280x720.jpg

perhaps not exactly how it was done here...but i dont see why it wouldn't be possible as a gimmick battle of sorts

granted these are completely different engines

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

JBSFxmh.jpg

I'm definitely with you, but at the same time trying to wrap my head around how they go about this with the modern graphics and environments they have chosen... They have their work cut out for them, that's for sure. One of my favorite scenes is Diamond Weapon Vs. the rebuilt Mako Energy cannon at Midgar. I hope they make it even more epic with modern graphics. :)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Cloud getting Destruct materia thrown at him - remains

Split party final battle segments - ???

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After that Nomura quote about Cloud being made dorky again makes me think the sillier elements will remain, although they'll probably pace them differently to avoid mood whiplash.

As for other things -

• Domestic abuse Cid (Removed) - After the following games showed him in a more positive light I think they'll tone this down, but he'll still be a jerk.
  • Everyone referring to Nanaki as Red XIII even after Cosmo Canyon (Removed) - It always felt kind of mean for them to continue to refer to him by a lab name.
  • Reno and the Turks basically murdering an entire slum (Removed) - They're fan favorites, they'll probably change how the sector falling happens in the remake so they're less genocidal maniacs.
  • Honeybee Inn (Stays) - The game will probably be rated T so it'll be more alluded to. Even World of Final Fantasy references it so I don't think it'll be completely cut.
  • Cross Dressing (Stays) - It's too iconic at this point though I think Square Enix America will be making sure they don't go overboard with the stereotypes again.
  • Yuffie and Vincent being optional (Removed) - They'll have full voice acting and mo-cap, they'll join naturally.
  • Big ol' Brick Cell Phone (Stays) - Unless they get a cross-promotional deal with a cell manufacturer.
  • Crisis Core/Dirge of Cerberus shenanigans (Pick and Choose) - Deepground will get a slight reference at most, Genesis won't exist. Angeal will probably be re-written. Cissnei and the other Turks might make an appearance.
And one major thing I think will change - Cait Sith and Red XIII will fight as one character, when the former joins the team at least. As much as I love the giant moogle it is probably a bit too much, and it adds a whole confusing wrinkle to Reeve controlling a robot who controls another robot.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually expecting a ton to be removed or changed. When they announced the episodic approach it was guaranteed a ton of content was going to be dropped.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
And one major thing I think will change - Cait Sith and Red XIII will fight as one character, when the former joins the team at least. As much as I love the giant moogle it is probably a bit too much, and it adds a whole confusing wrinkle to Reeve controlling a robot who controls another robot.

The Reeve connection was always stupid, but then what do you do about the Temple of the Ancients part? Also the entire betrayal part would have to be rewritten. Unless Cait Sith was just "working for Shinra" or something.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Reeve connection was always stupid, but then what do you do about the Temple of the Ancients part? Also the entire betrayal part would have to be rewritten. Unless Cait Sith was just "working for Shinra" or something.
Oh Cait Sith would still be in the game, he'd just jump off Red XIII and walk around on his own two feet for those scenes and I'd hope they'd allude to him having a degree of artificial intelligence.

I also hope he's still inexplicably Scottish.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oh Cait Sith would still be in the game, he'd just jump off Red XIII and walk around on his own two feet for those scenes and I'd hope they'd allude to him having a degree of artificial intelligence.

I also hope he's still inexplicably Scottish.

Oh sorry you still think he would be a robot controlled by Reeve, I see. Misunderstood that, thought he would just be his own character. Was that even touched upon in Advent Children? It always seemed so silly. Cait Sith is in that battle, so is Reeve just in the shadows somewhere?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh sorry you still think he would be a robot controlled by Reeve, I see. Misunderstood that, thought he would just be his own character. Was that even touched upon in Advent Children? It always seemed so silly. Cait Sith is in that battle, so is Reeve just in the shadows somewhere?

Yeah they weirdly never reference Reeve in the movie, as far as I recall anyway. In Dirge of Cerberus they both make an appearance though, and I think at one point Cait Sith the cat hides inside a robot Reeve??? It's very silly.

My guess is they'll simplify it by having Cait Sith be a weird robot cat who is mostly autonomous but Reeve can spy through him and take control if he needs to.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they weirdly never reference Reeve in the movie, as far as I recall anyway. In Dirge of Cerberus they both make an appearance though, and I think at one point Cait Sith the cat hides inside a robot Reeve??? It's very silly.

My guess is they'll simplify it by having Cait Sith be a weird robot cat who is mostly autonomous but Reeve can spy through him and take control if he needs to.

Whose limit break set to we get..

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The remake will be terrible, won't it? =( I can feel they will cut sooooo much.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I just wanna see Nail Bat.

Having to look everywhere to find the right spot to detonate in order to find the amulet-Removed

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The remake will be terrible, won't it? =( I can feel they will cut sooooo much.

i don't think it'll be terrible but fans need to brace themselves. it's probably going to be a completely different game

it's fun talking about this stuff but there's remakes and there's re-imaginings. FF7r will be the latter