• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Physical comedy or slapstick seems to have mostly fallen out of favor in story-driven media outside of kids' movies. Which makes sense, given that it's kind of the most simplistic juvenile humor. The first laughs babies have are usually from adults making silly faces or slapping themselves. But it was also kind of the driving force of early cinematic comedy--at first as a necessity, with films being silent, but it carried over for long after the introduction of sound.

Now though, slapstick isn't as commonplace outside of cartoons and critically panned family films. Every now and then you'll see a small bit worked into something like a Coen Brothers movie, but slapstick-driven films for mature audiences seems to be more or less done with clever dialogue and situational comedy being the main source of laughs. This gets me wondering if there are that many physical comedy bits from the last 20 years or so that are genuinely funny.

The first one that comes to mind right now is the ice rink campaign speech from Parks and Recreation:

That's pretty much the only American one I can think of right now. It seems like slapstick still plays in other countries. Stephen Chow's movies come to mind especially.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Kaitlin Olson from Always Sunny is great at physical comedy.

I might even argue that The Mick highlighted more of that, too, and Scott McArthur did a great job too. I can't think of many sitcoms where a grown-ass man beats up (and gets beat up by) a girl's soccer team.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The movie Rat Race has a lot of physical comedy, which makes sense since it's inspired by Its a Mad Mad Mad world.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is great for physical humor like Sweet Dee getting abused by the gang in some manner. The Trailer Park Boys as well as Ricky falling down rarely gets old and Mr Lahey is the best drunk act ever.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kaitlin Olson from Always Sunny is great at physical comedy.

I might even argue that The Mick highlighted more of that, too, and Scott McArthur did a great job too. I can't think of many sitcoms where a grown-ass man beats up (and gets beat up by) a girl's soccer team.

Came in here to plug Olson too.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Good physical comedy is an art-form in and of itself, nothing simplistic about it. I see your point, but don't knock it because it goes for "easy laughs". Those laughs have to be earned. Some of the hardest forms of comedy to get right is probably physical, and "dumb" comedy mostly because the people who do them have no idea what makes it work. How many spoofs are there these days that actually understand what makes them tick? Nowadays it's just "hey remember this scene from this popular movie" instead of writing actual original jokes.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers 1 had a good one when Loki was interrupted from his spiel about gods by the Hulk grabbing him and flinging him around like a toy.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any specific examples, but Baskets has a lot of physical humor.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The Mick had some great physical comedy
Legit anytime she is delivering lines excitingly or nervously or any range of emotions it's always with the best and widest range of motion. She's right up there with Jim Carrey. Perhaps even bested him at this point with 14 seasons of it's always sunny

Oct 25, 2017
Edgar Wright was a first thought, especially if you count more things (aside from just slapstick) as physical comedy like the famous shot in Hot Fuzz where the two dick officers give Simon Pegg the stink eye as they leave the frame.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is great for physical humor like Sweet Dee getting abused by the gang in some manner. The Trailer Park Boys as well as Ricky falling down rarely gets old and Mr Lahey is the best drunk act ever.

giphy.gif
You know I've watched all of trailer park boys and never really even thought about the fact that he wasn't actually drunk on set.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Tangled, especially anything involving Max.

Edit; oops, guilty of not reading the full OP that mentions cartoons, but I'still leave Tangled there as it goes even harder on the slapstick than your typical animated movie.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Michael Richard's Kramer on Seinfeld had moments of staggeringly brilliant physical comedy.

And RIP The Mick. That show was fantastic.