• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain

You damn the world to die a slow death because you want to become the evil vampire emperor and not die.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chaser - a shitty FPS from the noughties, and that's only because they didn't have enough resources to end the game any other way.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
In Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, the protagonist's quest is to hunt down nine corrupted guardians and save the world.

In the canon ending, the last corrupted guardian survives, destroys the world and sits on a throne of bones THE END.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these 'endings' aren't really at the end, or the villain doesn't fully accomplish their goal (if they have much of one).

Everyone likes to bring up Kefka, but he wanted to basically destroy all existence. And he doesn't come close to doing that, he just fucked up Earth pretty bad (but not even to the point of no return). He didn't even kill any protagonists, IIRC.

I'm going to say the first Diablo.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Finally on Steam

ss_e271dfa796de9756e345ab9f1b4fc200b1ce99a2.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/544220/Damage_Sadistic_Butchering_of_Humanity/

In Damage you take control of a formerly exemplary man named Michael Modelcitizen, who had everything a man could possibly dream of. Because of that, he soon became deeply frustrated. Michael tried various methods in search of a new super human state, but during the process something went terribly wrong. The solution to regaining his previous status is ugly.

Michael starts with a primitive baseball bat, taking out unaware passers-by. It's not long before Michael's actions begins to attract the members of authority - who all try to eliminate him. Of course, he has access to numerous appetising weapons, and he starts experimenting with dangerous drugs to keep himself alive.

In Damage, you play as Michael and we guarantee you many, many delightful discoveries and a feeling of extreme freedom to venture and express yourself.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. The villain's main goal in this game is to pass himself off as an asshole, compelling you to hate his guts enough to pursue him to the ends of the earth and beyond in search of mindless revenge. He accomplishes everything he sets out to, without actually possessing any agency of his own, whatsoever.

wallpaper35.jpg

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption

Edgar Ross betrays and kills John Marston. While his son Jack takes revenge and hunts him down later, it doesn't change that John goes down in history as a vicious outlaw, while Ross is remembered as a hero.

On top of that, Jack becomes a criminal. The very thing John spent the entire game trying to prevent.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Red Dead Redemption

Edgar Ross betrays and kills John Marston. While his son Jack takes revenge and hunts him down later, it doesn't change that John goes down in history as a vicious outlaw, while Ross is remembered as a hero.

On top of that, Jack becomes a criminal. The very thing John spent the entire game trying to prevent.
Was going to post this. I know it's a well known ending just because of John's fate, but thematically it's so, so good

Oct 27, 2017
Hard mode:

Name a game where the main villain, who is someone antagonistic to the main character, wins in the game's canon ending. Kefka died in the end, so did he really win?

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Cyber-Lip.
The two heroes find out that the President was an alien who reprogrammed Cyber-Lip (a super computer built to protect humanity) to unleash killer androids on the human space colony. They're sent to destroy Cyber-Lip which allows the "President" and the rest of the aliens to conquer the Earth unopposed. So, the heroes are simply pawns the whole time. It was actually a pretty cool twist.

Last edited:
Watching Dragon Ball Super lately and how it's all but apparent that Goku and pals will always win, but that kind of brought to mind this question. I want to hear one's where it's canon in the game that the villain wins, one that I like a lot is kind of a half ending:

It's the end of the first generation in Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War (I'm covering this with spoilers because despite being a 20+ year old game, this is pretty much next in line to get remade by Nintendo):

After Sigurd. the protagonist, fights the guy who's been a tyrant, his army comes to celebrate only for it to be a trap by Arvis, one of the other villains. Essentially, your entire army (except for most of the women) get burned alive after their journey, including Sigurd. Not only that, after his death, Arvis becomes Emperor and also marries Deirdre, the love of Sigurd's life. And the game has an intermission and it basically starts up a whole new story a generation later. No winners on the hero's army here.

Anyone else got any good examples?

One of those Zelda timelines

Shadow of the Colossus

Persona 2 :IS

Most SMT games.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Does Braid count? The antagonist isn't actually the bad guy though.

Edit: Came up with a much better one
Contact_DSBOX_f.jpg

Considering what you end up doing to that poor kid.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I mean it's kind of mixed.

I mean Cole dies, half the conspirators get off the hook and the new DA turns out to be just as corrupt as the last, but at the very least Leland Monroe goes down and the Suburban Redevelopment Fund is disbanded.

It's a very Noir ending: the protaganist(s) disrupt the antagonist(s) plans and do as much as one can realistically expect to thwart their schemes, but some things are just too big to take down.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

The game's ending is an unresolved cliffhanger where Sonic and his chums get back from doing whatever RPG business needed to be done in space involving some echidnas or shit, only to return to their world and find in their absence it's been taken over by Dr Eggman who briefly turned face to help them out earlier, WHAT A TWIST

And that's where the saga ends, never to be finished, Eggman won yo!

Oct 31, 2017
Kingdom hearts bbs

Three main antagonists take major Ls
Aqua is in the realm of darkness, Ventus is in an sleep state with a broken heart and terra has his body taken over. Main antagonist got almost everything he wanted except a key
that's what made the ending(s) in that game so amazingly bitter sweet, Blank Points man, I Cri Evrytiem

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Last of Us.
Joel doomed humanity and robbed them of the cure

Nah.
If they were willing to kill a little girl to potentially save themselves then humanity wasn't worth saving in the first place. Joel saved them from themselves.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Actually, by cannon, Billy was hypotized during that fight and Jimmy saved him and his girlfriend when he beat him up. This is why Billy is in the sequel, that's how it was explained.

Notice how every adaptation of the game has an interpretation where Billy isn't in control during that fight, like how the movie had the villain controlling his body.

Wow never knew. Cool stuff

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain

You're damn the world to die a slow death because you want to become the evil vampire emperor and not die.

hqdefault.jpg
In Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, the protagonist's quest is to hunt down nine corrupted guardians and save the world.

In the canon ending, the last corrupted guardian survives, destroys the world and sits on a throne of bones THE END.

One of my favorite canon endings to a game.

Ariel: so I know I didn't mention it before, but you're kinda the last guardian and we need you to kill yourself to save the world. What say you?

Kain: FUCK THAT

*enslaves humanity*

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow never knew. Cool stuff

The original twist, however, was supposed to be that Billy was the leader of the gang the entire time, and had been playing double agent to you. Him not being in control during the fight was a later retcon.

I still think the original interpretation was cooler.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The ending of Final Fantasy XIII-2 almost redeems the rest of that clusterfuck of a story.

It's so fucking good.

That ending was pure ass. Not even because of what happens but because of how it happens.

XIII-2 was supposed to be the first FF game with "DLC". I was expecting them to go forward from that ending, but it was just a "LOL U DIED WORLDS OVER NOTHING MATTERS GG BE SURE TO BUY THE NEXT ONE" and i was just like......

Oct 31, 2017
Nah.
If they were willing to kill a little girl to potentially save themselves then humanity wasn't worth saving in the first place. Joel saved them from themselves.
I disagree,
Joel was 100% selfish in his action, he couldn't give a shit about morals and saving someone from themselves, he didn't want her to die even if ellie herself said that she was willing to do everything in her power to create a vaccine, she literally says "After all we've been through. Everything that I've done. It can't be for nothing." and yet Joel goes on a killing rampage, he sacrifices one of humanity's only chance at finding a cure only because he wants back his substitute daughter. One of the game main themes is that in an apocalyptic world there are no more morals and ideals, when your whole existence is literally about survival and you've got a chance at saving many for the sacrifice of one, you take that chance, take the cannibals for example, do you let everybody starve to death because you got morals or you eat other human beings so that you and your children can live another day?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The Witch's House

In the end you learn that the corpse you were running away from is actually Viola, your old friend and whose body you stole by body swapping. Viola final moments is hearing her father call her a monster as he aims his gun at her ready to shoot.
large.jpg

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are we assuming that Ellie is the only little girl in the entire world.

Joel doomed littler girls to die.

We don't know there isn't some other person who could have been
sacrificed
either though. Either way that doesn't make Joel the bad guy in a world of clickers and so forth who killed indiscrminately.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 1 has campaigns for both factions where they win but the canon ending is the one where the Horde is victorious.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Zenos Yae Galvus was essentially a numb sociopath with unrealistic strength who was looking for a "kindred spirit" of some sorts. When he first meets the Warrior of Light, he trashes you so bad he basically just ignores you afterwards.

At the end of the main campaign once you're finally a match for him, he basically confesses love to you

After you finally defeat him, he's so blissful over the experience of finally "feeling alive" that he concludes his life complete, calls you his only friend, and commits suicide in the moment.

So he loses the war, gets defeated....but still wins the greatest win he could possibly win

I didn't know whether to feel happy or sad for him. An odd form of empathetic villain...

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Every God of War game.

Kratos goes on a killing spree and destroys the entire Greek Pantheon, literally destroying an entire religion and dooming all inhabitants of the Greece region.

Now he moves on to Norse mythology, but he's potentially NOT a villain in that one.

Oct 31, 2017
sacrificed
either though. Either way that doesn't make Joel the bad guy in a world of clickers and so forth who killed indiscrminately.
In a world where morals are blurry or they straight up don't exist, that is about survival first and foremost and where humanity is going extinct, the needs of the many come before the needs of the few,
and Joel acted selfishly
which in a world where everyone is already a villain makes him just a little bit worse than everyone else.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII-2. It's hard to win against a guy who wants to die.

bxxV9f9.jpg

As a bonus, the 100% Completion ending is basically just the villain rubbing the inevitability of his victory in your face. Still one of the ballsiest endings Square ever made.

The ending of Final Fantasy XIII-2 almost redeems the rest of that clusterfuck of a story.

It's so fucking good.

My brothers. The ending is the best part of XIII-2. Then Lightning comes and ruins it.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. The villain's main goal in this game is to pass himself off as an asshole, compelling you to hate his guts enough to pursue him to the ends of the earth and beyond in search of mindless revenge. He accomplishes everything he sets out to, without actually possessing any agency of his own, whatsoever.

wallpaper35.jpg
Kain best villain confirmed.

Then Defiance comes and it's like Kain best hero confirmed.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sacrificed

If he went through
and got her back without killing almost everyone there then sure I would agree with you, but when he killed the people smart enough to do the surgery on someone else it was a wrap.

I actually cant even remember if that organization even had wings that shared knowledge in different locations.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but is the Horde the bad guy when they are just being corrupted by the burning legion ?

I guess in the long run they're not bad but at that time in the game's story we don't really know that iirc. Also since the Horde is a puppet of the Burning Legion they win by proxy.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
In a world where morals are blurry or they straight up don't exist, that is about survival first and foremost and where humanity is going extinct, the needs of the many come before the needs of the few,
and Joel acted selfishly
which in a world where everyone is already a villain makes him just a little bit worse than everyone else.

Or makes him better than everyone else, depending on how you look at it.