• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm taking a driving test tomorrow to get my license. I'm pretty nervous that I'm gonna fail. What are some video games that can help me pass the test?

Please help. There has to be some games that can help me pass. Its a shame Crazy Taxi hasn't been remastered for this gen. That game could totally help but I dunno where I could get my hands on it.

I'm pretty good at Mario Kart if that counts for anything lol

Oh and no, I'm not trolling. I need ya'll help. Video games have helped people in so many ways... there has to be a game that can help me pass the driving test!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a strange premise for a thread.

I would recommend just spending more time studying, YouTube might even be a more valuable resource.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
giphy.gif

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what I've seen no video game really emulates it properly. You're better off not training yourself incorrectly on this. Good luck

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, real advice time. Make it really obvious that you're looking at your mirrors. If you've had enough practice and you stay focused you'll probably do fine, but that's probably the one area where being too relaxed can hurt you, because if you just use your eyes to look at the mirrors instead of craning your neck then they might dock you for it.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are they going to let you use a controller on your driving test?

The serious answer is none. Video game driving is nothing like real driving.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhhh, boot up GTA IV and drive like a normal person?

GTA IV because the cars have more weight to them and don't handle like sports cars.

There really isn't anything in a game that's going to help you pass the exam. The things you get failed on are all small stuff like checking seatbelts, mirrors, looking for blind spots, complete stops at stop signs and cross walks...

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Okay, real advice time. Make it really obvious that you're looking at your mirrors. If you've had enough practice and you stay focused you'll probably do fine, but that's probably the one area where being too relaxed can hurt you, because if you just use your eyes to look at the mirrors instead of craning your neck then they might dock you for it.

This is great. Anything else?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Did you not train in a real car with someone who has a license in the passenger seat?

Oct 25, 2017
Have someone take you to a large empty parking lot with speed bumps. School lots after hours are good.
Improve your feel over the vehicle by driving over the speed bumps while aiming the tires of one side to go through the gap between the bumps.
Once you're confident in your ability to do this with both sides it basically means you've got driving down lol. The basic control anyway.

That's how my dad prepared me anyway. I don't think any video game can really help as much as feeling the vehicle.
For the test, just always make sure to not speed. Check mirrors. Also check blind spots. A quick glance out the back side window before merging if there's no blind spot mirror. Always signal. You should do fine.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Play some Apex Legends

The fact that you're seriously looking for a video game to help you pass your driving test tells me that you're gonna fail anyway. Might as well have some fun in the meanwhile.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
This is great. Anything else?
Make sure you look both ways multiple times when turning, even on the deadest of streets. Move your head while doing this, not just your eyes
Make sure you take your turn at intersections. Don't wave people on, as some proctors take that as a sign of you not knowing how right of way works

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Motorsport with a $200 force feedback wheel. Hopefully the stores are still open.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
No game is gonna prepare you for the amount of idiots driving in real life. You need to go out and drive an actual car and assume that everyone else doesn't know how to drive.

Oct 27, 2017
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker. The trucks in this game are heavier and slower than most video game vehicles so it's less about speed and more about spacing.

hqdefault.jpg

But really, just practice in a parking lot ffs.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If you're that nervous then you probably just need to practice actually driving a bit more before you book a test.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one way to truly prepare.
hqdefault.jpg

Nothing prepares you like the Driver 1 tutorial level.

Really, just get a good night sleep and don't get stressed. And remember that, in all likelihood you're way more qualified than 90% of the people on the road right now.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Twisted Metal. Your driving instructor should be impressed if you know how to fire a homing missile.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
No video game can help you prepare for a drivers test.

Read the drivers guide for your state, there's a lot of important info in there and you might have to take a multiple choice test.

Most importantly, make sure you're comfortable with driving.

Do you know how to use your blinkers? Defrost? They might ask about that. How are you with parallel parking? You're gonna have to do that too.

I failed my first test, but got it my 2nd time after learning from my little mistakes.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Is getting your license in the US as easy as people in this thread are making it seem? Like genuinely suggesting the OP simply drives around a parking lot before going for their exam?

Where I live you have to log 120 hours of driving (and that's probably gone up since I had to do it) with a certain amount of professional lessons, and for the exam they'll take you out and make you merge in traffic, parallel park etc. Like, the parking lot thing works for the first hour or two of practice but that's about it...

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is getting your license in the US as easy as people in this thread are making it seem? Like genuinely suggesting the OP simply drives around a parking lot before going for their exam?

Where I live you have to log 120 hours of driving (and that's probably gone up since I had to do it) with a certain amount of professional lessons, and for the exam they'll take you out and make you merge in traffic, parallel park etc. Like, the parking lot thing works for the first hour or two of practice but that's about it...
I guess it depends on your instructor. Most expect the bare minimum.
For example, I failed my first try because I barely checked my mirrors and something else I did wrong.