• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
dims

I've always been a fan of Paul Verhoeven's sci-fi cult classic Starship Troopers. While some might say that it deviated too much from its literary inspiration (by Robert Heinlein), I find that it has this distinctly Dutch aesthetic to it that you don't see often elsewhere in sci-fi films. It struck a nice balance between polished, uber-futuristic portrayals of spacecraft/space travel with more a more grounded portrayal of military gear, civilian life, and boots-on-the-ground combat. It's a gritty and unique style that particularly resonates with me, and I find that it really lends itself well to games too.

Here are few games that come to mind that I feel have shades of Starship Troopers in their atmosphere, tone, or visual identity. I hope to learn of more via recommendations in this thread.

1. Starcraft (and Brood War)

K6zsxdB.png

I'm speaking specifically of the original SC here, not its sequel (which uses a decidedly glossier and somewhat generic sci-fi aesthetic). I'm pretty sure Blizzard has admitted to ST being a strong inspiration of theirs when designing the Terran and Zerg races in the original Starcraft, and TvZ is IMO the closest thing to Starship Troopers that I've ever seen in game form. The Terrans and their militaristic culture with brute force technology and weaponry share a lot of parallels with the depiction of marines in ST, and the Zerg have that bug-like, carapace-covered look that define the bugs in ST in a similar fashion. Starcraft's dirty, gritty portrayal of futuristic settings and military operations is something that we just don't see much anymore, and its similarity to the aesthetic of Starship Troopers is a big part of its appeal for me.

2. Halo: Combat Evolved

azW3l9e.jpg

While the Covenant and Flood don't have all that much in common with the alien enemies in ST, the space marines in Halo: CE are clearly inspired by their counterparts Starship Troopers. Everything from their firearms to outfits and vehicles has that trademark Dutch design to them, and I love it. The space marines in Halo carry that nice weight with them where all of their tech feels powerful but heavy and clunky. It's that balance between sleek tech with rugged, heavy design that reminds me of ST so much, especially in the first Halo.

3. Killzone 2

4SeRi7g.jpg

While there are no bugs or aliens to be found in Guerrilla's sci-fi FPS masterpiece, I think that Killzone 2 has an awful lot in common with Starship Troopers. Having been developed by a Dutch studio, it has that Verhoeven-esque design sensibility in its very DNA. The color palette, the sense of heft and weight, the overabundance of details thoughtfully woven into the future tech for both the ISA and Helghan forces... it's all here and all very Dutch in the best way possible. Killzone 2 captures the feeling of being a sci-fi soldier grunt in the midst of a hectic battle better than most games in existence, and whenever I play it I can't help but feel notice its many similarities to ST in terms of atmosphere and aesthetics. Wonderful.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
THE EDF DEPLOYS!!!

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Oh yeah, love that movie. I would have said Jet Force Gemini, but it is like 20 years too late to the party. Just too old. Haven't played the new Doom yet but Doom 3 definitely gave me some of these vibes. Spacestation, new recruit, etc.

Dead Space as well.
May sound weird but maybe Attack on Titan, due to the same basic theme (human alliance against overpowered monster army, military tone...)?

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of EDF, Iron Rain looks so damn good.

EDF with actually good production values is gonna be something else. I'm hoping it goes on to become the most successful entry in the series yet. It will most likely be my first foray into EDF when it launches.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
OP do you have an interest in ww2? The fact that you bring up Starship Troopers and Killzone makes me conclude that we're either the same person or just became best friends.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I only omitted Earth Defense Force because, sadly, I've never played any of them. That's something I'd like to change.

Sadly body harvest is shit, but it is an open world starship troopers like game made in the n64 by dudes who would lately make GTA 3.
So the heart is in the right place but wrong time and console

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
OP do you have an interest in ww2? The fact that you bring up Starship Troopers and Killzone makes me conclude that we're either the same person or just became best friends.
I have about the same interest in WW2 as anybody who grew up influenced by Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and the many games that spawned from Medal of Honor's breakout success.

I'd say I'm more into grounded military sci-fi like that of Killzone 2, however. I just really, really like Killzone 2. I replay the campaign at least once a year. A remaster with less input lag and maybe 60fps would be a Day 1 purchase for me.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I have about the same interest in WW2 as anybody who grew up influenced by Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and the many games that spawned from Medal of Honor's breakout success.

I'd say I'm more into grounded military sci-fi like that of Killzone 2, however. I just really, really like Killzone 2. I replay the campaign at least once a year. A remaster with less input lag and maybe 60fps would be a Day 1 purchase for me.

A killzone Trilogy remaster is at the top of my list. But Killzone 2 is the standout and the game I love the most in that series as well.

The resistance series is another one that I specifically like because it gives off Starship Trooper vibes. In fact if you go watch some of the behind-the-scenes stuff on the original resistance game, Starship Troopers was one of the big influences when developing that title.

KZ and Resistance are my two fav scifi shooters but most of the internet just shits on them. I don't care because it feels like they were made for me.

Last edited:

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for Helldivers. It is so obviously inspired by Starship Troopers that it could almost pass for an officially licensed title.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Red Alert ant campaign is good. Red Alert is a classic strategy game, you can unlock a campaign about giant ants which was pretty good.

I only omitted Earth Defense Force because, sadly, I've never played any of them. That's something I'd like to change.

It doesn't feel like StarShip Troopers. It feels too arcadey instead and wacky and the art design is goofy too. It's got that Japanese charm where it doesn't take the game too seriously and as a result that stops it feeling like Starship Troopers.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to sound weird because it's based on an existing sci-fi franchise, buuuuut

MV5BYjc2OTg3NDMtNGUwMC00MDA4LWE5NWQtYjM5ZDZhODBkZjkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

It totally has the same tone and style of armored roughnecks that are both elite warriors and ultimately expendable grunts blasting through bugs.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
While some might say that it deviated too much from its literary inspiration (by Robert Heinlein)
It did, but for the better. Reading the book 10 years after first seeing the film was incredibly disappointing.

As for me, I loved playing the Use Map Settings Starship Troopers maps in StarCraft 1. People even found ways to add the Starship Troopers OST to them, which made them a lot cooler.

Like this (this is SC2, but basically just a remake of old BW custom maps):

Last edited:

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
That's what makes Starship Troopers great. It's both a valid satirical commentary and a great sci-fi film, much like Robocop.
exactly so like with such a unique tone the only game I can think of that fits it is Starcraft and even thats a stretch, but also lol at 'dutch style' like bruh they are supposed to look like nazis