• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild being this magnum opus, this perfect game game. It does a lot of things right but its problems people just write off and give it a pass. If anyone dares point out valid criticisms of the game, you get labeled as an idiot / troll or your tastes in games are shit. Its not a 97 average scoring worthy game considering all of these problems.
  • Story sucks (Zelda never really had a story to write home about but this one is notably bad)
  • A game that touts player freedom yet the combat is incredibly anti-player by forcing you to not keep weapons that you enjoy. If I want to beat the game with the same basic sword or stick I got in the first hour, I should be able to
  • For an action adventure game, to be living in the menus to constantly change stuff because it keeps breaking defeats the premise of an action / adventure game
    • That's why I cannot stand Bethesda games. They do the exact same shit by making you constantly live in the menus in combat
  • No real dungeons
  • Some of the worst boss fights in Nintendo's history
  • Lack of enemy diversity

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Preferring to play the same service/multiplayer games for thousands of hours instead of playing and finishing lots of different games instead.

Oct 28, 2017
Praising RE6's combat. It was awful.
Judging a game's quality on its length. And, by extension, referring to pointless repetitive side-objectives that add nothing except padding as "content".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Every game technically is "busywork", and comes down to how well it disguises and contextualizes that fact. That isn't exclusive to open world games, that's for all games.
The common criticisms against open world games are that they fell like busywork, or feature no level design (?). These are both false in that they also apply to linear games. You absolutely can have linear games with poor level design (remember the "corridor game" memes?), and which feel like relentless busywork (for instance, FF13). You can also have open world games with incredible design (BOTW) or fantastic contextualization for their "busywork" (TW3).

Basically, a bad game will have bad design and will feel like busywork regardless of whether or not it is open world.
I mean even the supposed-ed "masterpiece" open world games to me feel like busy work. I remember the two of us differ on our opinion of BOTW for this very reason.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
(Not looking for an argument or to sway my opinion—just my personal feelings) MGS being a masterpiece. I get the appeal and longevity of the series, but it's ultimately not my cup of tea. And that ridiculousness over Quiet and the justifications and retconning for why she jiggled as much as she did only made me laugh harder at the whole thing.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean even the supposed-ed "masterpiece" open world games to me feel like busy work. I remember the two of us differ on our opinion of BOTW for this very reason.
My point is that games can feel like busywork regardless of whether or not they are open world, not that open world games won't feel like busywork.

Oct 25, 2017
How people can solely rely on a Metacritic or Rotten Tomato's score to decide if they want to buy a game or watch a film.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I think they were good at the time, but they're very hard to go back to after Origins and Odyssey.

For example, playing that Assassin's Creed III remaster next month would feel archaic.
Interestingly I liked the originals but playing Origins killed the franchise for me. The fact they replaced one mediocre combat system for another, removed a lot of the stealth options (double assassinations, blending in crowds, benchs etc) to force combat all the time with that mediocre system? Pass.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
How can people enjoy looking at Phil Spencer when he always has that fucking smug arse smile/face, that would make any aussie wanna punch him.

How can people like anything from EA in the last few years.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Why the heck do people like Mario Odyssey? I did make a thread on this a while back, and some stuff came to light that I was able to understand but still as a whole eeeh

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild being this magnum opus, this perfect game game. It does a lot of things right but its problems people just write off and give it a pass. If anyone dares point out valid criticisms of the game, you get labeled as an idiot / troll or your tastes in games are shit. Its not a 97 average scoring worthy game considering all of these problems.
  • Story sucks (Zelda never really had a story to write home about but this one is notably bad)
  • A game that touts player freedom yet the combat is incredibly anti-player by forcing you to not keep weapons that you enjoy. If I want to beat the game with the same basic sword or stick I got in the first hour, I should be able to
  • For an action adventure game, to be living in the menus to constantly change stuff because it keeps breaking defeats the premise of an action / adventure game
    • That's why I cannot stand Bethesda games. They do the exact same shit by making you constantly live in the menus in combat
  • No real dungeons
The endgame also actively discourages combat. Once you get all the best weapons, there is no point in fighting anything because you'll just break your best stuff to replace it with a stick.

Also they punish you for doing everything fun. Climb everything? Cool now it rains all the time. Like to shield surf? Too bad I'll break your shield. You think this weapon is cool? you'll get it for like 3 mins before it breaks.

BOTW is full of problems.

Edit: Not to mention the shrines are all visually the same. They couldn't even differentiate between regions.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
When someone says that a game brought them to tears. I can't even fathom it, I've been gaming for 30+ years and even the most well-written games I've played are so schmaltzy and overwrought.
Did you feel nothing at the end of The Walking Dead Season One? Not floods of tears but I was moved by the relationship and choices that were left at the end. No feeling of love for Agro in Shadow of the Colossus for various actions? Mordin in Mass Effect 3? Again not floods of tears but games can and have moved me and I love when they do.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
People who consider achievements as anything more than a virtual pat on the head with possibly a virtual dog biscuit. Woopty do I did something. Who fucking cares...

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There's a lot of stuff I don't get:

- Fortnite, PUBG... all the battle royale craziness really.
- Why people are so interested on watching other people play games instead of playing games themselves. I don't mean esports, I get that. I mean let's play streamers.
- Why people love so much photo modes on every game. It's not that a dislike it, I just think it's pretty pointless.
- Why people still fight console wars without getting paid and when not even their favorite company cares about that.
- Why people identify themselves so much with a piece of hardware or a game to the point where they genuinely feel offended and attacked themselves if someone criticizes it.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
  • No real dungeons
Came here to post this, almost exactly.

Makes sense, as you have good taste, Mr. Mess.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
When someone says that a game brought them to tears. I can't even fathom it, I've been gaming for 30+ years and even the most well-written games I've played are so schmaltzy and overwrought.
Finding out Yuna was going to die in FFX and Tidus knew nothing about it made me cry.

No shame.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Game of Generation candidates HAVE to be big epic open world games and/or story driven walking simulators. God forbid you prefer something that's just plain incredibly fun like Tropical Freeze.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Not solely about video games, but I simply don't see the appeal of anything anime-related. I just don't seem to care.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
People who say they can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60, or understand why I would want to play something like Wolfenstein on my pc rather than my switch. So my girlfriend basically

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gamers with access to the main platforms that pine for mini consoles.
How do you have enough HDMI ports? Why do you want these closed eco-system boxes instead of playing these classic games on the main hardware?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Super comptetive gaming is completely lost on me, and the bad attitudes that tend to come with it

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't understand the love for the Call of Duty games, especially Modern Warfare onward.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
"I like silent protagonists/blank slates, they make me feel like I'm the main character."

Bullshit.
This is a good call. Persona is the only game series I'll play with a silent protag and even then it gets on my nerves but the rest makes up for it.

I don't understand people that actively get angry at playing as a female character. There was a story from Neil .D I think it was, when testing U4 and one of the testers went "oh not you to NG..." and caused a scne because of it. It's fucking 2019 people. Grow the fuck up.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
That BFV is bad. Its the best BF since BC2 imo, the shooting, running, vehicles all feel great, even before the latest patch. 40 hours in I still don't see what is bad about it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Consumers who care so much that they ardently defend how multibillion companies make their shareholders happy.

wagmarwigmir

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Why people love Last of Us so much. Truly one of the most un fun gaming experiences Ive ever had. Im at the point where people love it just because they need to feel obligated to like it.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the GOTG.

Is empty.
There's 4 kinds of enemies.
Is a loop of nothingness and waste of time where the only thing that changes is the landscape.
Bosses are crap.
The only funny part are the shrines but the way they look end up being tiresome.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Praising RE6's combat. It was awful.

3165e6b7-4777-4250-9hjkv1.jpeg

Oct 26, 2017
When people generally assert something they don't like is a problem rather than simply suggesting it's a design choice they don't agree with.

Here's a good example.

The endgame also actively discourages combat. Once you get all the best weapons, there is no point in fighting anything because you'll just break your best stuff to replace it with a stick.

Also they punish you for doing everything fun. Climb everything? Cool now it rains all the time. Like to shield surf? Too bad I'll break your shield. You think this weapon is cool? you'll get it for like 3 mins before it breaks.

BOTW is full of problems.

Edit: Not to mention the shrines are all visually the same. They couldn't even differentiate between regions.

Oct 25, 2017
  • No real dungeons

"I like silent protagonists/blank slates, they make me feel like I'm the main character."

Bullshit.

Came in here to post these, see they have already been covered. I take more issue with the silent protagonist one, I think it's one of the dumbest things, especially when other characters in the world speak to you and you just stay silent.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
People thinking the new Tomb Raider games are the best in the franchise. They feel like focus tested, generic AAA games. Nothing about them feels like TR in gameplay or story.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Fighting games being hard to learn.

Like... why are you mashing buttons? Do you just hold the trigger and spin around in shooters? Or give completely random orders in RPGs?

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
When people generally assert something they don't like is a problem rather than simply suggesting it's a design choice they don't agree with.

Here's a good example.
It's a subjective opinion. All criticisms of gaming media are opinions. You should have the ability to understand that without me putting "In my opinion" before every single sentence.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Having a controversial opinion about games, like holy shit no, if you can tell me why you dislike a popular game and make it something understandable then it's not controversial.

In that vein as well is saying "hot take." Don't call someone's opinion a hot take because it's against the grain.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People who vehemently ignore a game because it's too 'anime'. It seems like such a weird way to limit yourself from games you might end up loving. I wonder how many people see games like Persona or maybe something like Gravity Rush be praised and just roll their eyes and move on.
I mean not everyone likes anime. Those are two varying examples. Gravity rush is an action game that is put in kind of a ghibli art style. Persona has anime built into it, like the characters and everything.