• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
What are some gaming opinions you just *don't understand*
Things that people like that you can't get the appeal no matter how hard you try, or things that you love that no one else seems to like. etc etc. I'm curious on your thoughts!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
How can someone like the classic Assassin's Creed games? The sole mention of them makes me sleepy already.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
How can someone like the classic Assassin's Creed games? The sole mention of them makes me sleepy already.

I think they were good at the time, but they're very hard to go back to after Origins and Odyssey.

For example, playing that Assassin's Creed III remaster next month would feel archaic.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 not being on par with Prime 1 and one of the greatest games of all time.

It has a 92 on metacritic and I STILL find it one of Nintendo's most underrated games ever

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Game length determining if a game is good or not. Not every game needs to be really long.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
People that think the weapon degradation in BOTW completely ruined the game.

I mean I didn't love it, but after a short while you consistently had so many weapons that it was never an issue. Break one and move onto the next one.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get into Skyrim. Combat sucks, and everything is so crappy that destroys the immersion. I don't get how this game is so acclaimed with these blatant flaws.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Finishing a game you don't like for the sake of finishing it is something I don't really understand.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed is a stealth game.
Hiding in a bush and sitting on a bench is not stealth, neither is standing in a crowd.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Jak and Daxter never became bigger franchise than they are. Especially the latter 2. They are amazing games.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 2 appealing outside of the fun and revolutionary physic engine.
Yes I played it when it came out, and preferred Doom 3 by a mile in everything. (that come out earlier the same year)
I add that I loved Half Life, that it was quite a different game.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Every time a PS4 exclusive comes out declaring it has the best graphics ever. We'll see it when TLoU2 comes out with 100% certainty.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
whatever this opinion is supposed to mean:
mosze5mi4cf21.jpg

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get liking Open world games better than linear ones. With very rare exceptions, linear games are always more fun.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Games and gamers that priotitise story over gameplay...I really do not get it. Gameplay has to be king for a medium about gameplay...surely?

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When someone says that a game brought them to tears. I can't even fathom it, I've been gaming for 30+ years and even the most well-written games I've played are so schmaltzy and overwrought.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get liking Open world games better than linear ones. With very rare exceptions, linear games are always more fun.
Player agency matters a lot to a lot of players in games (such as me), and well done open world games facilitate that. An open world game that also features incredible design is the cream of the crop.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Player agency matters a lot to a lot of players in games (such as me), and well done open world games facilitate that. An open world game that also features incredible design is the cream of the crop.
Most open world games (to me) feel like busy work, and usually have poor pacing imo.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I feel like going for a platinum just makes it feel like work instead of playing organically. I would feel miserable trying to do so, or worse people that love doing side missions in open worlds games and then complain about open world fatigue.. I mean duh lol. I'll do one or two if I heard from someone it has a cool story if not I'll stick to the main story.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People who vehemently ignore a game because it's too 'anime'. It seems like such a weird way to limit yourself from games you might end up loving. I wonder how many people see games like Persona or maybe something like Gravity Rush be praised and just roll their eyes and move on.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
The love for Wind Waker is just something I'll never wrap my head around. I played it for the first time on Wii U and was super disappointed with the bland, short dungeons, lack of interesting items, and repetitive sailing.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's simple: explore and muck around rather than brute forcing the repetitive main story. The setting and style of those games are cool as hell. I love just walking around soaking up the ambiance and picking fights.

Also the hidden blade was badass when it was an instant kill. Bam! You're dead. So satisfying. I can't believe the newer games diluted that mechanic. Fuck?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Bingo

It`s not bad per se. But its closer to being bad than being the masterpiece most lauded, players and critics alike

Fallout 4 got the same baffling treatment but thankfully players were a bit more critic with that one. Skyrim remains as one of the (barf) ~best western rpgs of all time~ to many people and i just shake my head and wonder if i`m taking crazy pills or something

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like going for a platinum just makes it feel like work instead of playing organically. I would feel miserable trying to do so, or worse people that love doing side missions in open worlds games and then complain about open world fatigue.. I mean duh lol.
I don't go for every platinum, only the ones for games I really love. But I love a lot of games. Hunting for the platinum sort've becomes a game in itself if that makes sense? The same feeling I get from leveling up in a game is the same feeling I get getting trophies. Only I take those trophies with me.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most open world games (to me) feel like busy work, and usually have poor pacing imo.
Every game technically is "busywork", and comes down to how well it disguises and contextualizes that fact. That isn't exclusive to open world games, that's for all games.
The common criticisms against open world games are that they fell like busywork, or feature no level design (?). These are both false in that they also apply to linear games. You absolutely can have linear games with poor level design (remember the "corridor game" memes?), and which feel like relentless busywork (for instance, FF13). You can also have open world games with incredible design (BOTW) or fantastic contextualization for their "busywork" (TW3).

Basically, a bad game will have bad design and will feel like busywork regardless of whether or not it is open world.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
People who vehemently ignore a game because it's too 'anime'. It seems like such a weird way to limit yourself from games you might end up loving. I wonder how many people see games like Persona or maybe something like Gravity Rush be praised and just roll their eyes and move on.
I have a friend who's like this and its the worst. He says games like that are full of "ladyboys".
He wrote off Nier Automata and refused to play it despite me knowing he would love it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

Truth. I remember being swept up by the hype for AC, playing a few hours on launch day and being flabbergasted by how boring and generic it was. The reviews were just baffling.

Also people who buy games solely because they're an easy plat regardless of having zero interest in them.