• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The recent gameplay reveal of Guilty Gear 2020 has of course got people talking about what makes fighting games appealing, what makes them unique, gameplay trends, etc. What I wanted to know is, was there ever a mechanic/system in a fighting game that you thought was innovative or incredibly fun that isn't commonly featured in most fighting games?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I was gonna write a relatively longer post talking about the Lethal Hit/Krushing Blow system from SC6 and MK11 respectively but fuck it, I'm going with this:
Does good netcode count?
What's the goddamn point of making a compelling and unique fighting game if I can't actually play it against other people reliably?

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Because I suck at fighting games but love fighting game characters, Soul Calibur's create-a-soul.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, screw it. I can't be bothered. Just:

Good rollback netcode and crossplay. Please, and thanks.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
GGPO.
Online Training Mode.
Skullgirls' button set up. Where you just hit the button and it automatically goes down the menu.
Something else Skullgirls has done because it surely has something else.
Skullgirls' assists being any move you want.
UNIST's stupidly good tutorial which is a textbook of how to play fighting games and UNIST.
No chip damage kills? I'm too used to it and going back to old games gets me killed because I'm now a scrub.

I dunno, probably lots? I just did the first things I thought of.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I was gonna write a relatively longer post talking about the Lethal Hit/Krushing Blow system from SC6 and MK11 respectively but fuck it, I'm going with this:
What's the goddamn point of making a compelling and unique fighting game if I can't actually play it against other people reliably?
I mean...you can. Support your local

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the obvious ones that objectively improve their games (netcode, crossplay, good tutorials, etc.)

I'd like to see more games with assists try out the custom assist feature from Skullgirls. It was a really cool idea (even if it's a pain to balance) and it lead to players being able to really express themselves with their teams. Also on a similar note, Skullgirls' variable teamsize/ratio implementation. Both because it gives players even more control over how they make their teams and from what I've seen it's a decent way to sell a game to someone that's brand new to team fighters ("no you don't need to learn 3 characters, you can just learn 1 and have a good time.")

I guess these can't be universal because I don't want every fighter have teams, but it'd be really boring to have another post about good rollback netcode and crossplay.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Good netcode. Most of the other mechanics work uniquely in the framework of the game they are in.

Like I wouldn't exactly want a Roman cancel in SF, and not every game needs a burst or combo breaker.

But these games have only hurt themselves by not being more consistent online experiences in an era where people play multiplayer games online.

otherwise it be nice if the NRS games added fun to their games. I'd like to enjoy the playing it part with the game with the justice league in it.

Tho I do have something no fighting game does that I want in fighting games. You know how we can search for replays n shit? I want for lab monsters to be able to upload their stuff on a community database in the game (under characters) of tech or combos they found.

While yes you can just get this info on discord or twitter or reddit or whatevs, it be cool if there was something in game, that people could upload their findings on.

ohandthedeathofproximitynormalsbecauseihatethem ;_;

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Tatsunoko vs Capcom's Baroque is the reason I still play it. For those that don't know, in TvC you can choose to sacrifice your red life to reset yourself to neutral by pressing any attack + partner. You can do it during any normal or special move that isn't a throw (timing varies). The more red life you have the more damage you'll deal afterwards, and vice versa.

Baroque can be used for making yourself safe, making your combos longer, burst baits, mobility and even unblockables if you're fast enough. It's something you always have to think about and every character can use it effectively. It's so good!

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Gameplay wise I just wish more fighting games would let you do a lot more freeform special cancel from/into any move. Besides that:
- Parrying from Thrird Strike
- Good netcode
- Skullgirls level of qol improvements.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Tho I do have something no fighting game does that I want in fighting games. You know how we can search for replays n shit? I want for lab monsters to be able to upload their stuff on a community database in the game (under characters) of tech or combos they found.

While yes you can just get this info on discord or twitter or reddit or whatevs, it be cool if there was something in game, that people could upload their findings on.
While not as detailed as you can get in Discord/twitter/reddit/whatevs, MK11 on PC has the ability to upload recordings in Training mode to the Steam Workshop and filed under a character's category with a brief description.

So you can upload setups and combos and punishment recordings and anyone on PC can download them and see them locally to break them down/learn from them.
Lol that's not the same thing then. The closest "local" for me is in another country across the sea!
Maybe you should still make the 3 hour plane ride, that is if you really care about fighting games.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Proper rollback netcode and crossplay. Making the base game cheap or even free to try would be another great one.

I wish every fighting game on the market just did everything like Killer Instinct.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
While not as detailed as you can get in Discord/twitter/reddit/whatevs, MK11 on PC has the ability to upload recordings in Training mode to the Steam Workshop and filed under a character's category with a brief description.

So you can upload setups and combos and punishment recordings and anyone on PC can download them and see them locally to break them down/learn from them.
Maybe you should still make the 3 hour plane ride, that is if you really care about fighting games.
That's fucking neat, should have just been a thing in the game tho. I'm thinking more like what file share was in Halo 3?

But a bit more detailed. Like if I go under the Cassie Cage column, and I can then see combos n stuff from the game. But yeah something like what you described should be there, on consoles too.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I still don't quite understand, with the examples of brilliant netplay all around us, why certain modern fighters have shitty netplay.

Makes me hope that Xbox Next/PS5 take Steams example and enable Remote Play Together for their consoles for every game.

megadarve

Oct 27, 2017
All games with unlockables should have some kind of tournament mode to unlock characters. In addition to this, with the incoming Hitbox Crossup, control in this mode should limit directional inputs to analog or d-pad only. It should also provide a means to blind pick characters on the select screen.

Would be nice to be able to somehow roll back updates whenever a game gets updated as well.

Other than that, basically everything UNIST does for training mode at minimum (esp reconfigurable reset button instead of forcing TP, quick reversal options), along with button dashes.

Last edited:

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Parrying wasn't even done right in SF3, how you gonna make that shit work in every fighting game.

I don't want universal mechanics, probably just some QoL stuff.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
back to block. Fuck block buttons.
There's literally only three fighting games on modern consoles that have block buttons and no way to hold back to block, and two of them are from the same series. Soul Calibur 6 and Mortal Kombat X/11

I really don't get the hate, it's not exactly prevalent lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
There's literally only three fighting games on modern consoles that have block buttons, and two of them are from the same series. Soul Calibur 6 and Mortal Kombat X/11

I really don't get the hate, it's not exactly prevalent lol.

topic is "what fighting game mechanic should be universal" and I gave one that is not universal.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I wish every game with a hit counter would do like King of fighters XIII and make the letters bigger the more you connect.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Truly universal defense options from Virtua Fighter. It all but eliminates imbalances that require counterpicking.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
It only really applies to crossover style games , but groove selection. Being able to play characters using multiple games system mechanics was awesome.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
IMO, none. Games aren't designed for mechanics to be universal. Parrying is great in 3S but I wouldn't want to see it in literally every fighting game. And then there's good netcode, which isn't a mechanic, but should be universal.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing in particular, it's good that different series have things that make them unique and fun to different people and it's good to keep it that way.

If I'm choosing to be selfish, every game can have Virtua Fighter's lenient input buffer.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The recent gameplay reveal of Guilty Gear 2020 has of course got people talking about what makes fighting games appealing, what makes them unique, gameplay trends, etc. What I wanted to know is, was there ever a mechanic/system in a fighting game that you thought was innovative or incredibly fun that isn't commonly featured in most fighting games?

Simplified input commands for specials from GBVS XD

(And I guess Smash Ultimate as of the Terry update)

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

lord some of us didn't even have arcades let alone locals. We'd be lucky to see a galaga machine in the 7-11

That aside, being able to put special moves or strings on screen like you can in NRS games needs to be a thing.
the sound cues that tekken has when the game auto plays combos and strings that help with players getting the timings correctly.

QoL features should be universal, not mechanics though.

Last edited:

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Been thinking alot about how fighting games been reducing or streamlining mechanics to on board new people but what would you guys think about a traditional fighter that had a dedicated special button like smash? While I'm not sure I actually want this, I have been giving alot of thought to Terry in smash and how they got all his specials in. Most fighting game characters tend to have 2-5 specials which could be mapped to the directions. Can still keep the command imput versions or even use the true input for "better" versions of the move or as shortcuts for Heavy or EX moves.