Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing Persona 5 Royal over holiday break and am constantly impressed with how polished the game is from a UX perspective.

The only other game that comes to mind recently would be Breath of the Wild.

What games have you guys played where every piece of the game was perfectly designed and fleshed out?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Since OP already took BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey is just polished to perfection. It's insane how well it all just works.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The 3D Mario games. They are about the only games I would call "perfectly designed and fleshed out". Other games always have a quirk or something that I don't like in terms of polish.

edit: Of course not counting Sunshine.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Dark Souls. I still think it's the GOAT in terms of game design and polish, it's like pretty much everything just makes sense and works, although it's not flawless.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
uqMDtFp.jpeg

INSIDE.

There was like maybe one texture that you could see an odd effect on as it passed by on screen.

That's it.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Basically all of the Mario platformers that came out after Sunshine. Even the NSMB games, despite all their faults, are extremely polished.

I'm also going to say the Cave shmups that I've played, Mushihimesama Futari and DoDonPachi. Those games are like, the absolute best versions of themselves.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Yoku's Island Express and Steamworld Dig 2 both come off as "very polished" to me going off recent memory.

It helps that their game feel is polished to a shine.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Inside.

btw.: BOTW had subpar performance with significant frame drops when it was released.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata
Both Last of Us games
Bloodborne
Both Portal games
Super Metroid
The Infamous games (matter of fact, all Sucker Punch games)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx. The game runs well on older/lower end hardware, which is great for VR and it has a polish to it most other VR games don't have.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part II for sure the top, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, What Remains of Edith Finch and Inside.

Last edited:

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
Saw the thread title and P5 Royal immediately came to mind. Game is just so good from top to bottom. I'd also include TLOU2 in the list for this Gen. Maybe God Of War as well. For the previous Gen I'd give it to Halo 3, Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild has obvious frame rate issues and has poor IQ with a lot of aliasing. In what world is that polished? Did you play on CEMU? Nintendo's stuff is usually extremely well polished in general though.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal and Doom 2016
The Last Of Us 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Diablo 3
Overwatch
Most 3D Mario games

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima. I love so many of the design choices. Like having the wind subtly direct you to your destination if you need a reminder or vendors' icons being gold instead of white to indicate that you have enough resources for them to upgrade your gear.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls. I still think it's the GOAT in terms of game design and polish, it's like pretty much everything just makes sense and works, although it's not flawless.
Come on son

Doom eternal is good. This game runs so well, the optimization is nuts. The only problem I've had with it is a sound bug that was probably related to my CPU/sound drivers/hectic action.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls isn't polished at all. It gets by through having enough slack to its mechanics that you just sort of shrug and embrace the jank.

I actually think in some regards, it's as good of a game as it because it's not polished. It strikes me as exactly the kind of situation where some devs would second-guess their way into an inferior product if they'd had time to tighten things up.

Last edited:

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

I think Dark Souls would be one of the absolute last games I'd call polished. Game is rough in a lot of areas and I think even some of the biggest fans of DS would tell you it isn't a polished game.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from a few emulation bits coming from the PS4 to the PS5, Naughty Dog games are impeccable.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5.

This game has one of the most polish, swag, and confidence I've seen in a game. They went in the the soundtrack too.

The studio put that out like there was no competition.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
uqMDtFp.jpeg

INSIDE.

There was like maybe one texture that you could see an odd effect on as it passed by on screen.

That's it.
came in here for this one, polish on this game is unreal. Zero fat in the design as well. short, focused, just varied enough, and a jaw dropping finale.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid all feel timeless to me because in large part of how polished and well designed they were.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I came here to say Mario Odyssey and RDR2. but they have been mentioned, so now I am also saying that I think mentioning Inside and Sayonara Wild Hearts is kind of cheating since those game are less than 1 hour long.

It would be a disgrace if they are not super polished seeing that there is much less to work with and take care of than many other games mentioned here.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Most first party Nintendo games. Doom Eternal as well, still kind of floored by how good it looked and how well it ran on my launch PS4.