• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm originally from the New England area and when I left and asked for a grinder (aka hero/hoagie/sub etc to those unaware. This was also before the app lol) I got strange looks. No one had a clue what I was talking about. Where I am now in Washington state a lot of people refer to soda as pop. What about everyone else here? Any regional specific phrases/words where you are?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a full phrase but a regional thing from around here in the South, maybe isolated to SC, is calling guys "bo." I had been talking to a guy I had known for about a year, the owner of a store I frequented, and he called me "bo." I was taken aback and thought 'did he just call me Bo/Beau? Does he think that's me name?' Later I found out that it's a thing in this part of the country. I'm used to calling people "bro" but apparently people in the South prefer dropping the 'r.'
I know two other people that call guys that too. I don't think it's something I'll pick up.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
in California people say "iced" when they have sex with someone. "I hooked up with that girl from the party and we iced". "Hey bro I iced your mom in your bedroom the other day"

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bubbler

It's Southern/Eastern Wisconsin-speak for water fountain. We're literally the only people in the US that call it that.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 6ix

It means "I'm trying too hard" or "Please refrain from punching me"

Additionally
  • Double Double
  • Two Four
  • Tuque
  • Loonie
  • Toonie
  • Hoser
  • Mickey
  • Garborator

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

scary-jokes-leaked-script-from-life-is-strange-season-2-chloe-21531247.png

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
New Englander here.

Grinder's a big one, which you've already said. People from not around here get confused when I say "bang a uey", as in take a u-turn. Packie for a package store (liquor store). Tag sale instead of yard sale.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Oida, I once went to McDonalds and asked for a "Cappy gspritzt auf an halben", forgetting that I was in Germany, where they don't speak Austrian.
Many here won't be able to relate, but the differences between Austrian and German German can be quite astonishing

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
People saying pitcher and drawa instead of picture and drawer. When I moved to New England it weirded me out.

One guy even said matoor instead of mature once, but I only ever heard that once and it might have just been that guy.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
In SoCal and Vegas: putting "the" in front of freeway numbers. I spent the majority of my life never saying it, but after moving here, it became so natural that when I took a new job that requires traveling around the entire state, I had to check myself so I wouldn't get funny looks north of the grapevine.

It's initially goofy, but it makes sense once you know the background: nearly all of the major freeways in California had proper names before the numbering system came along, so even though the Santa Monica Freeway became part of Interstate 10, everyone still kept the "the" when referring to it. It's still kind of goofy, but fuck it.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, in my state in Mexico we call childreb "plebe" which i guess translates as pleb.

Never made the connection until i was walking with a friend that is not from here and called a kid that stumbled unto us a "fucking pleb" and my friend reacted with like "wtf is wrong wuth you"